Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 06-13-2007, 07:07 PM

FI options??

Hi, my name is Tim and I have owned my 94 lsi for 5 years. I have been interested in some sort of forced induction for some time and the time has come. I am prepared to lay out quite a bit of change for this BUT I want a review of all of my options.

So far I know about the Stage3 from ecutune and I am quite impressed.

I have also read about svxfiles' supercharger which also sounds quite promising.

A few people have turbo setups as well but I like the idea of a supercharger more than a turbo.

So my question is, are there more options out there?? If so please fill me in. Just weighing options right now
Old 06-13-2007, 07:38 PM

I usualy advise people that turbos are good for raw power, fast times, and huge torque. tuning can be very difficult to impossible, and there is alot more bits n pieces to most turbo setups, and some of them going wrong can bork a motor in a hell of a hurry. But like I've said, I've seen over 400ft-lbs at the wheels on a 2.5L low compression motor at... 3,400rpm. One of the things that makes turbos such absolute hell to tune correctly is the shear number of conditions you might see. Given the power output can vary with the load put on the engine... its hard. Its even dangerous given you can tune on a dyno to a nice safe perfection then the guy goes and drives up a steep hill at 100mph for a couple miles and converts the engine to scrap doing so. Its one of the reasons I don't like dyno charts and dyno tunes as reality.

Roots style superchargers are for a very linear powerband with smooth torque rise, and good drivablity. Hardware is harder than a turbo, tuning far easier.

Centrafugal superchargers are for those that want imense top end power from thier supercharger. Still going to have ease of tuning and linear powerband.

The supercharger people will have to bring you more info on them since I'm not too much up on them.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:05 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
The Stage3 from ECUtune is what I have... LAN has been veyr easy to work with and is helping us w/ organizing a full engine build too... If I were to do it all over again, I would keep the stage III

Tom
Old 06-14-2007, 08:42 PM

Any more inputs?? I want feedback from designers and owners. More importantly the people who are both.

I read about using an eaton M90?? Someone had done that? Any info on this?
Old 06-14-2007, 09:19 PM

hood clearence is a serious issue with the SVX, but I would bet if you found the room ECUtune would be able to make a kit with a bigger blower. AKA domed hood or the like. For dragracing only you could do a body lift on the front and get a couple inches, handling would go straight to hell though as it ruins the front geometry unless you put in the suspension part too. Basicly it just spaces down the driveline and leaves the car at stock ridehieght.

I'd say that starting with a built motor and a 03cobra/ford lightning/Jag XJR supercharger would be a better start than the M90 though....
Old 06-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf
I read about using an eaton M90?? Someone had done that? Any info on this?
I know red devil uses one of those along with a turbo on his custom Legacy that's running 12's. I haven't heard of anyone using it on an SVX???
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605625
Old 06-15-2007, 02:46 PM

Imho

I have a turbocharger setup. Problem is, it was way too expensive and incomplete. I think you would be better off going with the ECUtune supercharger setup. It is expensive too, but it includes everything that you need do it right. Plan on building the engine and doing something about the transmission shortly after for any type of FI. I would only recommend doing a turbo if you wanted to save a few bucks and you could install it yourself or have a reasonable pipe fabricator make you a turboback exhaust and up-pipe system.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:50 PM

Thanks that some great info. I have a few woes about the stage 3 though and I was hoping some other builders could chime in here. I have been reading ALOT lately and there are a couple guys who really know their stuff. I was hoping maybe someone else had a kit they were producing or have been cooking up that might be able to out-perform the stage 3 yet at a better price.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:46 AM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf
Any more inputs?
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1187722
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 06-17-2007, 08:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
First decide if you want turbo or supercharger. 2nd contact ECUTune. No matter what you decide, they'll have something to help you. I believe he may be looking into a redesign of the Stage III supercharger. If you want to go turbo, at the least you csan get there stage 2 which will give you engine management for a better MAF and larger injectors. Either way, I'd take to them before you stat collecting parts.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:11 AM

Registered SVX
y not do an super charger and turbo kit?
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration