Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-03-2007, 10:28 PM

2007 WRX Manual Trans

Since my trans is shot I'm thinking about converting to manual. I've got a possibility to get a wrecked 2007 practically new WRX cheap. Will this trans work in my SVX? If so, then what parts do I need from the WRX?
Marvin
92 Pearly
Old 06-03-2007, 10:31 PM

It will work fine if installed correctly. I will leave it to people who have actualy done the swap to give you a list of parts. One also notes there is a couple people who sell kits with the mounts n stuff you need that you can't salvage off the WRX.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:54 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

I would go for the 6 spd IMO. I am not a big fan of the Subaru 5spd. The gearbox does not have a good feel to it when shifting. The 6 spd is beautiful.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 06-04-2007, 12:16 AM

Given that the 6spd eats about 15whp more than the 5spd, the 5spd is actualy a better choice for MOST SVX manual transmission swaps.

Even the current supercharged setups are not really needing the 6spd given thier good powerband. with 250whp, losing 15 isn't a happy thing. Future developments may change this. Given the development of built engines and existance of fueling setups good for 700? or more at the crank, one would assume its only a matter of time before one of the SVX's gets a XJR/F150 lightning/2003 cobra supercharger or the like. Suddenly with a roots blower making upto 400whp or so... 15hp seems like a small investment.

Now if you are running a good turbocharger, then the 6spd starts to look better with the pressure oiling tougher gearsets, and "optional" front LSD and DCCD center diff. Though I will say i have seen the upgraded 5spd from the FXT and other cars of that era stand upto 350ft-lbs at the wheels. So its not a given you NEED the 6spd.

I will say avoid the legacy GT turbo transmissions. They are a push type and currently have nothing to offer you other than crap clutches. The Legacy GT spec-B 6spd might be an interesting swap in the future if the price is right given its lack of a front LSD and viscous center diff which should make it very unpopular for a swap in the WRX crowd.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:16 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Is the wreck an STi ? I'm in the same boat as you and am looking for a 2007.

Check the HOW TO Documents. Under transmissions and you will find a couple of detailed write ups. TomsSVX writeup lists most parts.

Also have a look at the 6 mt thread and Gear ratio thread here.