How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-22-2002, 11:05 AM
srmifer

Question

i'm having the same problem as lwin...this morning i went and stuck my nose next to (as close as i could get) the injectors. my car had been sitting overnight and had not been running since. i caught a feint smell of gas from my right front injector. i'm no car mechanic, but seeing i didn't smell gas from any of the others, is it safe to say this may be my culprit?? i may go run some injector cleaner through her, but i'm kinda leary about doing that (i don't like additives). anything else i could do other than ordering a new injector (i.e. taking it out and tyring to clean it somehow)? thanks!
Old 06-22-2002, 12:38 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
Yeah, they did yesterday. Thx a million. I tried to pull it out of the engine today, but it wouldn't budge. I'm going to have to remove the rail and push it from the inside.

Forget A beer. Name your preference on a case of Canadian 2-4.

VK
I had to use 2 big flat bladed screwdrivers to pry mine out - one to lay on top of the rail to rest the other on while I twisted it to raise out the injector.

I lived in Buffalo, NY for 5 years while in school about 15 minutes from the falls - at least once a month we'd cross the border for some labatt maximum ice or molson XXX. We always called it canadian coffee. I can't even get regular labatt ice down here and blue is $15 a 12 pack. That's the one thing I don't like about the southern bible belt - the beer selection stinks.

Anyone else with injector problems that wants to troubleshoot - I have 4 more used (160k) injectors taking up shelf space. Nothing wrong with them, I happened upon a new set including rails on e-bay for real cheap and changed them out.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:17 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Beav,

I don't know what's with my car anymore.

I'm trying to address 2, maybe 3 issues. The one regarding the injector is because car starts fine on cold, car starts fine on hot, but car struggles to start (8-9 turnovers before it catches) on warm (car sits for 1-4 hours). I smelled fuel out of right front cylinder when I removed the plug, so I'm suspecting a leaking injector. Plugs were replaced from Bosch Platinum (with 30k miles on them) with NGK Iridium IX. The old plugs that came out, all of them looked normal.

The hesitation problem, I went and replaced the fuel pump anyways, because it wasn't outrageously expensive, my girlfriend's caused me to run out of fuel on the car twice (don't ask), and I wanted to get to the tank anyways to fix the sender (which now works 80%+ of the time instead of 10%). Anyhoo, hesitation *seems* to be gone, but need a few more days to confirm.

But the third problem, which I thought might have been related to the second problem, is the erratic idle. It's happening less since I replaced the fuel pump, but it's still there. I'm going to try to get a vacuum gauge on the car next week and let the car idle to see if I can get it to act up.

Oi. Gotta get them all fixed before the big meet. I've got the meet, plus 3 days in Chicago before, plus 4 days for the Blue Ridge Parkway after the meet.

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav

Are you sure you have an injector problem? Sounds more like an ignition problem, unless the injector is dumping a lot of fuel.

Last edited by vkykam; 06-22-2002 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:20 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Immortal Suby,

One TWO-FOUR of Labatt Maximum, delivered, coming up!

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby

I lived in Buffalo, NY for 5 years while in school about 15 minutes from the falls - at least once a month we'd cross the border for some labatt maximum ice or molson XXX. We always called it canadian coffee. I can't even get regular labatt ice down here and blue is $15 a 12 pack. That's the one thing I don't like about the southern bible belt - the beer selection stinks.
Old 06-23-2002, 06:27 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

I can almost taste it already!
Thanks, you made my day. Now I have to go dig out that Strange Brew video and find my winter hat.....
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 06-23-2002, 07:37 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Re: This could be a problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
This is the second biggest problem I have with my 92. I need some advice. In the morning and sometime in the afternoon, when the car is rested well (as in engine is cold), I have to literally pump on the gas while starting up the car. Once the car is started, I can turn it off and restart without problem. Also if the engine is heated (under the sun), I have less problems starting up the car.

What do you think is happening? What needs cleaning? I don't want this car to follow the road of the 94.

Lwin
BTW - you may want to have your fuel pressure tested. A weak pump output can cause the same problem(s). Sorry for the delay, sometimes my heart is better placed than my head.
Old 06-23-2002, 07:46 AM
Not as old as Randy

Quote:
Originally posted by srmifer
i'm having the same problem as lwin...this morning i went and stuck my nose next to (as close as i could get) the injectors. my car had been sitting overnight and had not been running since. i caught a feint smell of gas from my right front injector. i'm no car mechanic, but seeing i didn't smell gas from any of the others, is it safe to say this may be my culprit?? i may go run some injector cleaner through her, but i'm kinda leary about doing that (i don't like additives). anything else i could do other than ordering a new injector (i.e. taking it out and tyring to clean it somehow)? thanks!
Smelling fuel around one injector is more indicative of a leaking o-ring than a bad injector. There are two rings - one seals the injector to fuel rail and the other seals the injector to the intake manifold. I'd hazard to say that the fuel rail o-ring would show signs of fuel leakage if it was bad. If the manifold ring was bad it would allow a vacuum leak to occur and could result in the engine running a little rough, particularly at idle. An easy way to check for it leaking is to spray a little carb cleaner near the base of the injector (use the straw to accurately direct the spray) while the enigine is idling. Any noticeable change in the idle would indicate a leak. Be careful not to go crazy with the carb cleaner - it is flammable, you know...
Old 06-23-2002, 07:56 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I found a couple bolts holding the intake down were loose a while back after always having a slight gas smell in the engine compartment near there and I could also smell gas when accelerating and the sunroof was open. I have since replaced the gaskets and no more smell of gas but there were not any noticeable driveability or startup problems associated with it.
Old 06-23-2002, 08:53 AM
Not as old as Randy

Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam

The one regarding the injector is because car starts fine on cold, car starts fine on hot, but car struggles to start (8-9 turnovers before it catches) on warm (car sits for 1-4 hours). I smelled fuel out of right front cylinder when I removed the plug, so I'm suspecting a leaking injector. That could have been the last injector to fire when you turned the engine off. Maybe it means something, maybe not... Normally fuel problems are worst at either cold or hot. Excessive fuel in a hot engine makes it difficult to start. Slightly low fuel pressure can keep them from starting, especially when cold. Normally warm starts are the easiest, from a fuel standpoint. This problem makes me wonder if there isn't something else wrong. BTW - excessive fuel will always result in some amount of black smoke at the tailpipe when started - try to keep an eye out for that.

The old plugs that came out, all of them looked normal. An obviously bad plug would help immensely, but smaller problems don't leave huge tell-tale signs, unfortunately.

The hesitation problem, I went and replaced the fuel pump anyways, because it wasn't outrageously expensive, my girlfriend's caused me to run out of fuel on the car twice (don't ask), and I wanted to get to the tank anyways to fix the sender (which now works 80%+ of the time instead of 10%). Anyhoo, hesitation *seems* to be gone, but need a few more days to confirm. I'm wondering, given your geography, if you're not experienceing the same problems many of us experienced 'down here' with the winter blend fuels as the weather warmed up. There's several different posts regarding it, you might search back and see if they apply to your case.

But the third problem, which I thought might have been related to the second problem, is the erratic idle. It's happening less since I replaced the fuel pump, but it's still there. I'm going to try to get a vacuum gauge on the car next week and let the car idle to see if I can get it to act up. Erratic idle is caused by a vacuum leak 80% of the time. A vacuum gauge is a great diagnostic tool for mechanical problems, but given the fact that computer driven cars adjust themselves for so many operating fluctuations, it's not as useful for tuning purposes as it was in days past. I'm assuming you've cleaned the throttle body well, it's the number two cause of erratic idle. When the throttle blades don't completely close at idle the computer gets all 'weirded out', the idle air controller goes wacky and the idle portion of the program falls apart. There's many other possible contributors to this problem, but they're nowhere as prevalent as these.

Old 06-23-2002, 04:16 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Beav,

Thx for all the suggestions. You have no idea how much I appreciate your advice.

Regarding the fuel, we switch fuels here around the same time as when we have to adjust the clocks. I've also resetted the computer by disconnecting the battery overnight, to force the engine to recalibrate if it's the fuel, but no such luck.

Throttle body was cleaned after the initial problem had started, but that didn't really solve the problem either. The service manual had pointers as to how to read the vacuum gauge, so for someone like me that's inexperienced, it's an easy way to rule in or out another 5 or 6 problems.

Good thing I'm not really busy with work, which allows me to both work on the car as well as reducing my reliance on the car. Phew!

VK
Old 06-25-2002, 06:31 PM

Two more ways to determine which one of the injectors leak:

1. Take intake manifold off and look. Inlet passage will be much cleaner around the leaking injector - leaking gas does wash away the deposits. No, I don't recommend this seriously - it's a biggish
exercise to remove the manifold on SVX.

2. Take the fuel rails with injectors out, plug one end with a finger,
pump some air into another end and watch for bubbles on the injector tips. You may need some soap and water...
This is probably the easiest and fastest way to diagnose it,
there is also a 50% chance that you would not have to remove
the second rail at all :-).

I had exactly the same symptoms - easy start cold & hot,
does not start warm until throttle is floored. One new injector is all it took to completely eliminate the problem.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Grrrr....I really need to find my problem injector(s)!

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by gl1674
I had exactly the same symptoms - easy start cold & hot,
does not start warm until throttle is floored. One new injector is all it took to completely eliminate the problem.