Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts Wanted > SVX Parts Wanted

Old 07-12-2006, 10:17 PM

Availability Of OEM Struts?

I HAVE JUST BEEN INFORMED BY MY FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD...Subaru dealer that struts for my '92 SVX are no longer available. Where might I find some?
WGJ
Old 07-13-2006, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Your "friendly neighborhood subaru dealer" should do a little more research.

Struts for the SVX should be identical throughout all years. There was a modified strut mount for the 1992 SVX to address a knocking noise, but the strut itself was no affected.

Any of the later year struts ARE still available and many times in stock. Here are the P/Ns for 1996/1997 SVX struts:

Left front strut...20311PA011
Right front strut..20311PA001

Left rear strut....20360PA011
Right rear strut...20360PA001

At subaruparts.com, the front struts go for $121.88 each (retail $159.95) and the rear struts go for $129.50 each (retail $169.95) The currently have these item in stock.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 07-13-2006, 12:56 PM

Please Excuse My Sarcasm...

when I said "friendly neighborhood Subaru dealer". The parts people are idiots who have sent me the wrong parts three times in a row! Struts were offered to me at dealer cost to make up for their previous screw ups. So I was not suprised that they couldn't find struts. But I was concerned they might be right this time. Thanks for the resource. The local parts guy even quoted a retail price of like $250 ea. to me before telling me he couldn't get them(!) as though that would make me feel better. (He didn't know I was supposed to be getting them at cost).

THANKS FOR YOUR PROMPT RESPONSE, MUCH APPRECIATED,
WGJ
Old 07-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
If you were to look up struts on subaruparts.com for a 92 you would see 2 different part numbers. One is twice the price and is probably the one they are trying to get. This is not the right one and I believe the less expensive one supersedes the expensive one.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Sometimes parts are listed twice at different prices, and include extra miscellaneous parts required for complete installation.

For example, you can order SVX headlights two ways:

84001PA020 Head Lamp Assembly $365.67. This includes bulbs, brackets, screws, etc.

84912PA090 Lens And Body only $357.77. Nothing else. Not worth doing since for another $8.00 you get all 3 bulbs and more.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 03-23-2007, 09:02 PM

Send a message via MSN to 2NI
Quote:
There was a modified strut mount for the 1992 SVX to address a knocking noise, but the strut itself was no affected.
svxcess, can you tell me a bit more about that? Since I baught the car, it seems that I have that knocking noise... That's what made me think about destroyed suspensions but they have been tested and it seems not at all...

This is what I've found for "strut mount" on Google:

Correct? Sorry but I'm French & dumb!

Can I ask my dealer to replace those? Do you have a part number or something? Maybe a picture showing a visible difference between the old & the modified unit?

Anyway, when I pass a whole or a bump, it makes "bling blong" something like if the spring is knocking against something, metal on metal... Like when you put cheap drop-springs on the car you know... It rattles because the whorls (correct word?) are touching each other... Do I make myself understandable? I hope...

Thanx!

Last edited by 2NI; 03-25-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:50 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
check out the sway bar bushings before you spring for struts or mounts

Tom
Old 03-25-2007, 02:41 PM

Everything around has been checked and/or already been replaced by the previous owner. Not many things left i guess... Strut mounts or complete suspension dead... But like the suspension seems to work correctly, I assume those are the guilty parts... It's really horrible to drive, makes kling klong all the time...
Old 03-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Make sure you have at least the rears put on by a subaru dealer as the last 2 sets I got leaked within about a year. Subaru only pays parts not labor for r&r so you'd be out that amount or that much of your time. I think I paid $99 for the fronts and $119 for the rears a year or so ago from Liberty Subaru in NJ.

I'm no longer running the new rear struts as the 2nd set started leaking 1 month after the warranty was up. Sad thing is I drove it about 1000 miles that year.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:49 PM
Maniac modifier

Ben. Tim just had the same thing happen. He replaced all his strut w/ OEMs and mychailo springs and his driver's rear is leaking now Now he is going the Koni/GC route like I told him in the first place... Why don't people listen??

Tom
Old 03-25-2007, 07:05 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Ben. Tim just had the same thing happen. He replaced all his strut w/ OEMs and mychailo springs and his driver's rear is leaking now Now he is going the Koni/GC route like I told him in the first place... Why don't people listen??

Tom
B/C the koni's they sell for the SVX are overpriced donkey dung.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Maniac modifier

he spent i think 100 less than it would have cost to get the konis...um... Donkey doo doo

Tom
Old 03-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NI
svxcess, can you tell me a bit more about that? Since I bought the car, it seems that I have that knocking noise...
The modified mount is discussed in the Subaru Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) HERE

Old 03-27-2007, 02:57 PM

Thank you svxcess. I will show the part item to my friend & see if we can get our hands on those here.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: