Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
How to ship a motor?

So, I sold my parts car motor and need to ship it. I've got a pallet for it to rest on, which I was planning on turning into an all-out crate. But, I'm not sure how to affix the motor to the pallet, what points on the engine should be bearing the weight, etc.

Can one of you guys who has shipped one before give me a bit of a "how to" for shipping the motor?

Thanks!

Mat
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 01-24-2007, 05:31 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
If you have access to a "Banding machine" you need to "band" it down to the pallet, it can rest on it's oil pan, but it'd be best if you cut some wood blocks to hold it level, mounted under the heads or motor mounts.
If you don't have access to a banding machine, buy a cheap set of ratchet straps to tie it down with....you can hook to any substantial part of the motor, but try to NOT strap across easily bent items.

Also, make sure you drain the oil, and antifreeze out of it (and make SURE the new owner knows you drained the oil)

Making it a actual “crate” is not necessary, and will only add to the weight, so shipping will be higher….strapped down well to a pallet is a very standard way to ship a engine.

Hope this helps.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 01-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Thanks, Huck

About the crate...my understanding is that it's cheaper to ship via crate because the shipper can stack other boxes on top of your crate to avoid wasting space. True or no?

What shipping service do you guys use?
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 01-24-2007, 09:14 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
http://www.freightquote.com

Go in and enter different options to see if a crate is cheaper than a skid. They'll give you a list of different shippers then and quotes.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:34 AM

For what it's worth: We had a commercial freight hauler stop here awhile back that was carrying an uncrated transmission strapped to a pallet. It was plastic wrapped, though.

dcb
Old 01-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Most freight companies will require not only the engine be strapped to a pallet but completely convered with no protruding items... Best thing to do is strap it down to a pallet with some cheap ratcheting ties downs... Then find a big box and slide it overtop the engine. Continue to secure the box to the crate via either brads or some kind of twine/rope

Tom