Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-22-2006, 03:40 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Yeah, it hit me that we were probably talking past each other, i.e. hydraulic lifter=lash adjuster
So, let's get back to what you've done so far...you've used a stethescope and checked around on the engine and haven't "heard" the sound, so I'm going to say that it's not injector (you have put the 'scope on the top of each injector, right?) or lash adjuster noise (you have put the 'scope on each valve cover, right?), as you'd have heard it through the stethescope. You've checked the flexplate bolts, so it's not a loose flexplate. The noise does change with engine rpm, "going away" at higher rpms.

Suggestion - get the car either on a lift or up on jack stands and go back to work with your stethescope. If the sould is audible to the "naked ear", you should be able to pin point it with the stethescope.

The good thing is is that there aren't that many things on the EG33 that will make this type of noise. The bad thing is that they're all a PITA to fix

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-22-2006, 03:51 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexadec0079

For a comparison:
It does NOT sound like this http://videos.streetfire.net/video/7...9300fa2e75.htm

It is localized, not a rotational scrape, but more like a baseball in the spoke sound, one spot hitting something repeatedly almost, not a off balance flexplate rotating...
I checked the sound clip and my cracked flexplates never sounded guite that bad. When the EG33's flexplate cracks it sound more like someone hitting the back of the engine with a small ballpeen hammer. It doesn't sound like a rotational scrapping sound. What happens is that the flexplate "overflexes" due to the circular crack (which is right where the end of the crank comes in contact with the flexplate) and the flexplate bolts "hammer" against the back of the block.

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-22-2006, 04:05 PM

yes I listened to the sound clip also and my flexplate didnt sound like that. or any other flexplate I have heard (im a ASE cirt tech) and I drove mine till it almost brok all the way free. the sound is going to sound just like a lifter tap. IM going to put all my money on the flex plate. Just pull the trans. total job is about 4 hours or less. the worst part is thoes damn TC bolts