Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-04-2006, 11:44 PM

Unhappy Transfer Title problem

there's a 94 SVX I'm trying to get, but the guy that has it doesn't really own the car . He claims that he bought it from this other guy. This other guy bought this car from this lady and when she signed the transfer of title, the "other guy" was supposed to file it and complete the tranfer withen 10 or 30 days, something like that. Anyways, the "other guy" didn't, so the car is still under the lady. The dude that has it now doesn't even own it but he paid for it. He told me he would search down this lady so we can buy it. But no luck on this. If he can't find this lady, I can't buy it, legally. There must be another way, right? I was thinking of getting a salvaged title, but what's the chances of that here in hawaii (SVX's are really rare here). I really don't want this car to just be a junker, I would love to give it a good home (like someone said on here, "just can't have one").

Sorry so confusing

Last edited by L.O.R.D. SVX; 09-04-2006 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:57 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
All states are different, unless someone here has knowledge of the laws in Hawawii, I would suggest going to the title office or DMV to find out how to proceed.

The best bet would be to find the "legal" title holder and hope she signs it over. otherwise the guy in the middle is gonna hurt.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:11 AM
Locker Link Solution

Sounds fishy....
A title is "proof of ownership"... it is not a form.
Shouldn't be a time limit.

Perhaps the guy didn't get around to registering it after his trip to the insurance agent and the dmv/rmv declined his proof of insurance.... and he in turn misunderstood what the time limit was for.

So you may have to get him to try to register it again and then transfer it to you when the new title is made.

As hocrest said though... it is different in every state. That is just my assumption based on my experience here in mass.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Last edited by Speedklix; 09-05-2006 at 02:14 AM.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:50 AM

The guy who "owns" it bought it from some guy who bought it from some lady who still has the title? No way I'd spend a dime on that car.

If there were some way for you to secure title without contacting the lawful title holder, I could steal a car and sell it to you, then you could obtain a roundabout title and the original owner would be up the creek. Hard to imagine that scenario being possible in any state.

dcb