Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-24-2006, 08:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
ow! my lugs hurt!

ok so heres the problem... I work at tires plus as a mechanic and some 20' rims came my way.. so I put them on my car... well me and a coworker put them on my car... and in doing so he striped out one of the studs... on the rear... I herd that you have to remove the whole bearing to replace the stud... is this true? is there any ways around this? and where can i find more svx lugs?
Old 04-24-2006, 10:06 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
When I had 2 lugs cross stripped by an air wrench I picked up replacements at the Subbie dealer for a couple bucks each. The old ones popped right out the back of the hub. That was the front wheel though.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 04-24-2006, 06:18 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
You can get whole hubs for like 100 bucks. And those have the stubs in them. I do believe the stubs are separable from the hub though if you want to be cheap.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 04-24-2006, 07:01 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Fan
ok so heres the problem... I work at tires plus as a mechanic and some 20' rims came my way.. so I put them on my car... well me and a coworker put them on my car... and in doing so he striped out one of the studs... on the rear... I herd that you have to remove the whole bearing to replace the stud... is this true? is there any ways around this? and where can i find more svx lugs?
I was previously interested in this topic because a stupid tyre (tire) shop guy broke the end off a stud. I was relieved to read somewhere in a thread that the studs can be removed from the front. Check further before pulling things to bits, is therfore my comment.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
The fronts are easy, the rears... not so much

You'll need to take apart all of the drum brake crap. At that point there is a certain position that you can turn the affected lug to where there is enough room to sneak it out. It is sort of like one of those puzzels made with horseshoes welded to metal rings... it will take some playing but it can be done.

To get the new lug in, I used impact wrench to turn on a lug nut with an axle nut as a spacer.

When I was looking for longer studs, I found that autozone/advance auto all had the stock size.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:36 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
I was under the impression that the ABS ring and all studs had to be unbolted/pulled out for the bad front stud to come out. I bought a die and re-threaded the stripped stud, it was so bad it was smooth. If anyone wants to borrow it let me know. If it fixed mine it will fix any.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 04-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Michael is right.

I did the procedure on the racer, without ABS, so when it came time to pound the studs out, I just let the exiting stud smash the ring and removed them in pieces.

There are four allen head screws holding the tone ring onto the hub, if you remove them you should be able to maneuver the ring out of the way to then remove the stud??
Old 04-25-2006, 11:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
ok so what im hearing if i remove the drum parking break fun stuff and the ring for the abs i should be able to get the stud out by playing a fun game of safu (sp???)