How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-29-2005, 03:05 PM
yellowledbetter

Tranny dying?

So this past weekend i get in the svx, turn it on and as soon as i put it in reverse, it died and my dash lit up. I put it in park, turn it on and again, it dies. 3rd times the charm, and it seems to work fine, so i figure i'll check it out when i get back. As im driving though, i start to notice the ride isn't smooth at all. Its shaking a little as i accelerate, and making an odd (not really out of place, just different) noise. I figure maybe i got a bad tank of gas, as the night before i filled up at a station that i had never been to before. The next time i drive it though, the problem becomes apparent. Everything is fine until i accelerate, the RPMs get to about 2500-3000 and higher, but my speed will stall at about 20 for a split second, then suddenly kick my higher, jumping the whole car forward. Is this gonna be a complete tranny problem? Could it be something smaller that just needs fixing?
Old 08-29-2005, 03:53 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Any warning lights?
Old 08-29-2005, 04:17 PM
yellowledbetter

none, except for that time i mentioned i coldstarted it and got all the lights, but im thinking that could be unrelated to the tranny problems/noises.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:52 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Need a better clues.

Can't say if it is the trans or the engine. Can you relate it to a particular gear, or is it just a case of it happening regardless of which gear it is in?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:38 PM
yellowledbetter

it seems like it stalls/studders when its trying to get out of the 1st gear, and also makes a strange noise, but once it does, like i said, it sort of "jumps" the car forward a bit (feels almost like i've been rear-ended, if that makes any sense) but after that it seems to run fine.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:53 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowledbetter
it seems like it stalls/studders when its trying to get out of the 1st gear, and also makes a strange noise, but once it does, like i said, it sort of "jumps" the car forward a bit (feels almost like i've been rear-ended, if that makes any sense) but after that it seems to run fine.
When it is doing this coming out of first, does the engine revs go up, like the trans is slipping, or is it like the engine power dissappears for a sec, before returning again. What is the noise like, can you describe it?

Sorry for all the questions, hard to pick.

Harvey.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:15 PM
yellowledbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
When it is doing this coming out of first, does the engine revs go up, like the trans is slipping, or is it like the engine power dissappears for a sec, before returning again. What is the noise like, can you describe it?

Sorry for all the questions, hard to pick.

Harvey.
no problem i understand.

the engine does rev, i will rev it steadily up to about 2000 rpms, and it will go up to about 20 mph, then from 2000-3000 it revs just fine, but doesn't accelerate right away, only a second or two later it will kick, like its making up for it or something and accelerate again. This is the point when the tranny really makes noise, when im reving it but the car doesn't accelerate. ITs not really a pronounced or out of place noise, it just sounds like the transmission is louder. I really didn't even notice it initially.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:46 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
no problem i understand.

the engine does rev, i will rev it steadily up to about 2000 rpms, and it will go up to about 20 mph, then from 2000-3000 it revs just fine, but doesn't accelerate right away, only a second or two later it will kick, like its making up for it or something and accelerate again. This is the point when the tranny really makes noise, when im reving it but the car doesn't accelerate. ITs not really a pronounced or out of place noise, it just sounds like the transmission is louder. I really didn't even notice it initially.
Hard to say mate. I don't think it is the gear box, it seems like it is the engine dying at that point, clearing, then going again. Maybe you did get a load of bad gas, maybe it is just the lag that some have, that is fixed with the 'bead crush' mod. I'd just give it a while to see if it changes, if it is fuel, it will get better with the next tank full. If it is the trans, it will get worse. Keep an eye on it and report back if it gets worse.

Harvey.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:55 PM
yellowledbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Hard to say mate. I don't think it is the gear box, it seems like it is the engine dying at that point, clearing, then going again. Maybe you did get a load of bad gas, maybe it is just the lag that some have, that is fixed with the 'bead crush' mod. I'd just give it a while to see if it changes, if it is fuel, it will get better with the next tank full. If it is the trans, it will get worse. Keep an eye on it and report back if it gets worse.

Harvey.
thanks. I guess its perfect timing since my uncle, who is also a mechanic and owns a transmission shop, is coming up this weekend, so i'll have him check it out. I wasn't sure if i should keep driving it, but i guess i'll try and run this tank of gas dry. If it is bad gas, is there any kind of cleaner or additive you would recommend me using, or do i just ride it out?
Old 08-29-2005, 08:10 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
thanks. I guess its perfect timing since my uncle, who is also a mechanic and owns a transmission shop, is coming up this weekend, so i'll have him check it out. I wasn't sure if i should keep driving it, but i guess i'll try and run this tank of gas dry. If it is bad gas, is there any kind of cleaner or additive you would recommend me using, or do i just ride it out?
Jackpot. Put him to good use. Don't think it will hurt it to keep driving. We don't get bad gas here in Ozz, so I can't suggest what you could put in it to fix the gas problem, some body else may be able to advise on that. Just use it up.

Harvey.