Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd

Found it Harv...

Click on pic #72: http://www.svx-iw.com/svxiw/road_track/index.html

I quote: "While achieving a breakthrough Cd number was never a must-do goal of the 23A project, the body engineers were also determined to at least equal the wind tunnel performance of the XT6. In the final tally, the U.S. version of the SVX comes in at 0.29, same as the sharp-edged XT, offering dramatic proof that all cars which have been refined in the wind tunnel don't necessarily have to end up looking alike. The European-spec car proves to be slightly better, at 0.285, due to a larger undertray below the engine."

-Chike (my 4500 posts are not pointless or random btw...)
Well I think I would use a more technical source than Road and Track.

I have to disagree with it again. They get things confused, and then print it as fact. They mix 'wind tunnel preformance' with Cd., they are two different forms of measurement.

The Coefficient of drag is based only on the frontal area of the vehicle with a constant to account for the type of vehicle, bike, car, truck etc. This a straight forward mathematical calulation. It does not include anything else like under trays, smooth shape or the rear end,

Wind tunnel measurements are carried out with the vehicle, suspended in a air flow, the air drag on it, is then measured. This measurement is effected by the shape, smoothness, rear end, etc, of the vehicle.

I went out and looked at my front undertray, it does end at the front of the sump, the same as yours.
If there is a difference in the Cd of the two models, I think it would be due to the folding side mirrors that they have, as this would affect the Cd.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:49 AM

Quote:
The Coefficient of drag is based only on the frontal area of the vehicle with a constant to account for the type of vehicle, bike, car, truck etc. This a straight forward mathematical calulation. It does not include anything else like under trays, smooth shape or the rear end
Can't agree with you mate,
The drag coefficient is total drag divided by the area of the vehicle, air density and some degree of velocity.

The total drag is an experimentally measured value and it does depend on the vehicle shape, amount of turbulence caused etc etc.

Just for "drag coefficient", the very first link that comes has the formula:
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/dragco.html
Old 01-03-2005, 03:07 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by gl1674

Can't agree with you mate,
The drag coefficient is total drag divided by the area of the vehicle, air density and some degree of velocity.

The total drag is an experimentally measured value and it does depend on the vehicle shape, amount of turbulence caused etc etc.

Just for "drag coefficient", the very first link that comes has the formula:
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/dragco.html
Shizzz, can't argue with that, it does combine the two. I stand corrected and apologise to all. My understanding was not that full.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:58 AM

Re: I remember now

Quote:
Originally posted by blue thunder
I think I remember when the shield got shredded. A few weeks ago I was quite innebriated one sat. night and took a detour to avoid what I thought was a checkpoint and may have done it then. Should I find another one to help the coefficient or cooling. Thanks for all the feedback.

Mike
Not to get preachy, but perhaps you should first consider not putting the rest of at risk by driving drunk. %$*!faced and dodging what you took to be a sobriety checkpoint, you deserve more than a busted undercover.

Not only does the belly pan help with cooling (by forcing all frontal intake air through the radiator, it also protects the lower (plastic) radiator tank, hoses, oil filter and such from damage by road debris.

dcb
Old 01-03-2005, 06:33 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Re: Re: I remember now

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb
Not to get preachy, but perhaps you should first consider not putting the rest of at risk by driving drunk. %$*!faced and dodging what you took to be a sobriety checkpoint, you deserve more than a busted undercover.
That's exactly how I feel as well dcarrb. Anyone who drives a car home drunk and tries to dodge a check point is not being very smart at all...

Blue Thunder, you're lucky that only your plastic shield was damaged...I knew several people in College who now have a DUI/DWI on their criminal record. I also know one guy who's now behind bars for killing my friend's girlfriend when he t-boned her one night driving back from then bars.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 01-03-2005, 11:13 AM

Bad judgement

You guys are right. Sorry to make light of a painful issue for so many people. I usually wait till the affects have gone away before driving. I wasn't weaving in the road but was definitely impaired. I drink very little. I go for months at times without having anything to drink. I understand the need to speak up about it. Again, my apologies for the bad humour and example. Thanks for all the honest help I have gotten here.

Mike
Old 01-03-2005, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

I went out and looked at my front undertray, it does end at the front of the sump, the same as yours.

Harvey.
Mine's longer
Old 01-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Longer?

Hummmm--mine was pretty darn long last time I checked too. Unfortunately it was some months ago that I checked.

Lee
Old 01-04-2005, 03:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
Re: Bad judgement

Sorry for the O/T but I sent you a pm bluethunder, just letting ya know in case you didnt. No rush.Thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally posted by blue thunder
You guys are right. Sorry to make light of a painful issue for so many people. I usually wait till the affects have gone away before driving. I wasn't weaving in the road but was definitely impaired. I drink very little. I go for months at times without having anything to drink. I understand the need to speak up about it. Again, my apologies for the bad humour and example. Thanks for all the honest help I have gotten here.

Mike