How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-08-2004, 06:26 PM
svxeno

www.I'mindebt.com

Well, where do I begin. Possibly the end, then end of my run with the SVX. Tomorrow I set an appointment to have to car checked because it is bucking when downshifting. I have to put the car in neutral and cost to a stop. I don't know if it's a mount or an internal tranny problem. 1:00 PM tommorow at the dealership to find out.

As of a month ago my job was eliminated (I was a manager) and am now in the field selling again. Therefore, the car is more important than ever and of course, near term finances are uncertain.

With this in mind I was dreading the news tomorrow but figured that I could still use the neutral procedure until things settled down financially.

So I leave work tonight to head home to do more work. I'm driving home and so far, no bucking! Hmmmm. Then I notice a smell that doesn't seem quite right. I go to pull into the left lane and I have no power steering. Pull into a parking lot and check the power steering fluid. None?!? I go into the store, get some ATF pour it in and look to see where that smoke is coming from. It's the ATF running, not dripping but running out. I couldn't tell from where yet. I'll be looking at it tomorrow afternoon.

If it is the rack or an expensive high pressure hose the car is gone. This still won't answer the bucking tranny problem. I REALLY hate to give this car up but I can no longer support the $'s and also can't be without it. I still have my Fiat but that is NOT a car for sales calls. Wish me luck.

I really, really hate this.

Randy ii

Last edited by svxeno; 03-09-2004 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:04 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Unhappy

Firstly, my hopes are that it's just a PS hose, & the bucking was only temporary Mustang envy. Every now & then a surprise can be pleasant, & I wish you one. Your comments about the outside sales & the Fiat brought back memories. My first "real" job involved a '68 Fiat 124 coupe with no A/C, summer Washington DC humidity, & business-to-business sales calls all day long. I was glad polyester was "in" because you could wring the sweat out of a sport coat & not see the wrinkles. Hang in there my friend. It all eventually comes out in the wash of life.

Ron (still wet behind the ears).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:22 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Wink

Not your lucky day pal, the link doesn't work either

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 03-09-2004, 07:34 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Hopefully, it's not a pressure hose, just a return hose. They have a tendency to dry and crack. And, hopefully, it wasn't the tranny bucking, but, your P/S going wiggy and causing some "jumping." We can always hope.

My hope is that you don't have to get rid of the car. But, if you do, don't go away. Two Randys are always better than one.

Best of luck.

Randy i
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-09-2004, 12:05 PM

that sucks man, i hope that it is just a hose or something

Kelli

damn reading bug
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:50 PM
svxeno

Well, upon examination, it is a hose although I cannot tell which. I normally would do this work myself but, quite frankly, I am tired of getting underneath the cars.

I knew there would be maint on this car and alot of maint on the Fiat I'm trying to restore but I don't want to wake each day wondering what might be next. There are so many little things I need to do to it and a couple of large ones. I've spent about 2500 dollars over the last 3 months and, enough is enough. I GIVE!

Since the change in my job and having to have very reliable transportation since I now spend my day driving to make a living I have to make a change. Sitting in the SVX's usual carport is a 2004 Saturn Ion Quad coupe. We still have to work out the financing. I'll get that finished tomorrow. I'm really going to miss driving the SVX. I now have to decide what to do with it. They don't give much for 'Auction' cars at Saturn.

On a positive note, this car is pretty unique in design. (Gee, SVX owner, think I like unique cars?) The dash cluster is in the middle of the dash instead of directly in front of you and the rear doors are suicide doors. (Ironic with what the SVX was driving me to. ) The steering is 'drive by wire' like the XT's I guess. It has a strange feel to it. And, most importantly...I HAVE A FIVE SPEED AGAIN!! I really missed that in both my cars. (Yes, the Fiat is an automatic)

I've had a great time here and will stop back in to see what's happening. I hope that the troubles can be worked out and it stays afloat. You all are a great community and have been invaluable in helping me to keep the SVX running and a good ear when it was troublesome. This was my first 'community' on the web and I had no idea 2 1/2 years ago that I would spend the time reading these posts, debating with some, laughing at others and just generally rolling my eyes at Rob :P . Hopefully, I will still be able to occasionally contribute still to something that has given me so much.

I'll post later on what I decide to do with the car. It's too good for a parts car but more valuable to me as one. Anyway, in one form or another. SVX FOR SALE!!

My best and greatest regards to you all.

and yeah...even you Rob! (play nice) Ion...that almost sounds too much like Neon.

Randy Kumpf
Old 03-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up

I've had a great time here and will stop back in to see what's happening. I hope that the troubles can be worked out and it stays afloat. You all are a great community and have been invaluable in helping me to keep the SVX running and a good ear when it was troublesome. This was my first 'community' on the web and I had no idea 2 1/2 years ago that I would spend the time reading these posts, debating with some, laughing at others and just generally rolling my eyes at Rob :P . Hopefully, I will still be able to occasionally contribute still to something that has given me so much.

Randy, you're a class act, at least up to the Saturn part, & I for one will miss your sunny deranged disposition. Please rethink selling the SVX, as at least a dead one sitting in the driveway isn't burning any up gas or bearings. You'll come back to it with open arms & wallet some day. Keep checking in & let us know how you're doing.
Now....GO SELL SOMETHING!, as an old ex-boss of mine used to say.

Ron (Keeping an ION 'ya).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.