How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-10-2003, 06:07 PM
AJAX

Unhappy Tranny Troubles Need Advice

I thought it was just everyone else who was having tranny troubles in their SVX...until yesterday that is. I took my wifes SVX out for a spin on some snow covered roads to see how the awd handled compared to my WRX. The short story is that it didnt...there appears to be no power going to the rear wheels. When the wheels begin to slip there is a "thunk" from the rear sounds kinda nasty and I bet it is not a good thing. I bought the car used from a Subaru dealer and got an extended warranty on the power train (after extensive research on this site)...looks like it may have been worth the extra money.

I dont think the AWD has been working since we got the car in May of 2002. I recall out on the highway flooring it and getting torque steer..thought it was kinda strange at the time. The first snow this year I took the car out to see how it would fare without snows and whenever the wheels slipped I heard a thunk in the rear...asked the dealer and he said it was normal. I dont think the dealer is misleading me he may just be an idiot. Anyhow...I did get the extended warranty and was wondering what should be repaired if it is the clutch pack in the rear end.

Do I need a Subaru Reman tranny?
Clutch pack in the rear?

Ive read on here that when the clutch pack goes it kinda disintegrates and messes up the rest of the tranny...true?

I would like to only fix this problem once and Im particularly concerned that it has likely been happening since we purchased the car...likely causing damage to the front since the rear was not working. Can I demand a reman tranny be installed...if they will only replace the rear clutch pack...should I be concerned about the rest of the tranny. Any help from the great minds on this board would be much appreciated!!
Old 03-10-2003, 08:04 PM
CARLiTO_

do u feel like a sudden kick?

because that happens to me in the snow, but i think it's my tires...

how do i tell if my AWD is working?
Old 03-11-2003, 07:44 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I have been through this. On my car it was the transfer valve that was bad.

To find out if the AWD is working, the car needs to be on a lift or jacked up and on stands with all four tires off the ground.

Then the car is started and the trans put into drive. All four wheels should turn at the same speed. A little brake pressure should not stop the wheels and a little hand brake pressure should not stop the rear wheels.

Your RWD is not working when you have torque steer under heavy accelleration. Not a real fun experience eh? You could end up off the road.

I have no experience with getting the dealer to replace the whole transmssion. Maybe you can get him to start the clock over again on the extended warantee for the trans.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:56 AM
AJAX

Thanks for the reply SVX_Commuter. Taking the car in on Monday to see what the the dealer has to say.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Rearend power delivery should be smooth. Besides the FWD fuse, loss od RWD has been attributed to either the transfer case or the rear diff. In my case, it was the transfer case.

If your problem is in the transfer case, don't let the dealer talk you into a new tranny unless they can back up their suggestions. My dealer at the time said the transfer case damage was not repairable and would only consider tranny replacement. I paid the diagnostic and disassembly fee, rather unhappily, and had it towed elsewhere for repairs. $700 and 4 years later, I still have AWD, though the tranny is slipping a bit more now.

KuoH
Old 03-11-2003, 12:29 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
I just went through this with my 92, Ajax. THe dealer will likely tell you you only need an overhaul of the transfer clutch which is located at the rear of the tranny. One of the other symptoms I had, which you did not mention having, was that once the rear drive did kick in with a thunk, the whole drivetrain would shudder while it engaged until I let of the gas and the 4wd disengaged. In the snow and ice where the surface was slippery enough, the shudder did not happen, only the clunk while it engaged. You are looking at about an $800 - $900 if you did not have the warranty.

Now that everything is working as it should, I no longer have torque steer when I jump on it (it is a scary thing in this car when it torque steers) and on snow and ice it just leaps out of the gate like a thoroughbred(sp?)! Get it fixed and you will fall in love with your SVX all over again.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:35 PM
AJAX

Thanks again for the helpful replies guys...

Kuoh...Actually I was wondering if I shouldnt be telling the dealer that I want a reman tranny...It is covered by the powertarin warranty and Im afraid that having the rear wheels not getting power and sending all the power to the front wheels that the front differential may be damaged too..or possibly the rest of the tranny has been damaged by disintegrated transfer clutch bits in the tranny fluid. I may also be paranoid...doing a littler research on the SVX transmission on this site can do that to ya

CigarJohnny...I have never fallen out of love with the SVX...even though I love my WRX the SVX is just so much more refined, smooth, luxurious and comfortable on long drives that I find its charms impossible to resist.

Last edited by AJAX; 03-11-2003 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:20 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by AJAX
Thanks again for the helpful replies guys...

Kuoh...Actually I was wondering if I shouldnt be telling the dealer that I want a reman tranny...It is covered by the powertarin warranty and Im afraid that having the rear wheels not getting power and sending all the power to the front wheels that the front differential may be damaged too..or possibly the rest of the tranny has been damaged by disintegrated transfer clutch bits in the tranny fluid. I may also be paranoid...doing a littler research on the SVX transmission on this site can do that to ya

CigarJohnny...I have never fallen out of love with the SVX...even though I love my WRX the SVX is just so much more refined, smooth, luxurious and comfortable on long drives that I find its charms impossible to resist.
Trust me, Ajax...once you get it fixed it will be like a whole new car. You will fall in love with it all over again even if you never stopped in the first place.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Well that's a different story. My warranty had long since expired when mine went. If I had the option to replace the tranny, I would've taken it, as I had some of the same concerns then as you do now.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by AJAX
Kuoh...Actually I was wondering if I shouldnt be telling the dealer that I want a reman tranny...It is covered by the powertarin warranty and Im afraid that having the rear wheels not getting power and sending all the power to the front wheels that the front differential may be damaged too..or possibly the rest of the tranny has been damaged by disintegrated transfer clutch bits in the tranny fluid.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:37 PM
CARLiTO_

I jacked up my svx today to see if the AWD was working....Well this is what happened, the front wheels move and then the back wheels start moving later but the front wheels are moving at a faster speed...any one have any suggestions to how i can fix this prob?

If I have to get a new tranny, 5 speed it is..