Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Just ordered my new AMR Engineering Coilovers

Quote:
I think the question is more "what does the extra ~$500 buy us?"
How about "MADE IN THE US" plus the experience of 800 units made with no failures!

Ray
Old 03-30-2013, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvalleyray View Post

How about "MADE IN THE US SPECIFICALLY FOR THE SVX, USING ACTUAL OEM STRUTS FOR ALL DIMENSIONS AND MACHINING SPECIFICATIONS" plus the experience of 800 units made with no failures!

Not "We have something already in production that can be adapted to work."

That is why Halistan was able to get his AMR struts installed in 4 hours. True plug-and-play perfect fit. That's why the first batch of the other ones required remachining and fabricating of new parts to make them fit.

The labor and manufacturing costs are higher here, but a OEM strut built by Subaru is almost as pricey and the quality is such that they will only give you a year/ 12,000 warranty.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 04-18-2013, 11:27 AM

Are these "Made in the USA" or "ASSEMBLED IN THE USA"? I would be willing to pay more to support USA industries but their site says "Assembled" from Japanese parts. Can we clarify?
Old 04-18-2013, 04:07 PM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvan View Post
Are these "Made in the USA" or "ASSEMBLED IN THE USA"? I would be willing to pay more to support USA industries but their site says "Assembled" from Japanese parts. Can we clarify?
They probably use the basic Japanese parts (shocks, coils), then assemble them in combination with their own brackets and hardware.
Either way they definitely make quality products, as they ensure by giving out lifetime warranties.
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)
Old 04-18-2013, 08:35 PM

what is the total weight savings 50+lbs from factory vs. amr, this will be very intresting to see how the car handling changes.
i hope for our sake it is for the better.

Last edited by kjoyes; 04-18-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:47 PM

I'm just responding to the question of what we get for the extra cost. They probably sell quality parts and I have no issue with the company since their site clearly say assembled not made in the USA. We just have loosely worded quotes on our site. As far as "Lifetime guaranty", I need to read the fine print NOT JUST THE BIG LETTERS. I have had both Bilstein and Koni products fail, both w/lifetime warranty. Both companies wanted the original sale receipt. Not so easy to find, 5-10 years after the purchase and several moves and none existent if you did an under the counter, valued customer purchase for cash and a handshake. What did they think; that I had made and stamped them w/serial # in my garage? And if the company goes out of business, what happens to the lifetime warranty; Goodby. Rumor has it Sears is going bankrupt; there goes the lifetime warranty on hundreds of my tools.So if Sears is in trouble, No matter how good this company is, you can't depend upon it being around when you need it. No offense to the company but that's the way todays economy works. Here to day-GONE tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:04 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Can anyone give you enough of a guarantee? This is a small company and so it has to run on it's reputation. One of our members has been to Andy's shop, seen his work, several of us spoken with him and done some checking. Now we have coilovers and time will tell. They'll cover the coilovers but no one can predict the future. Several of us are sufficiently convinced but I'd venture to guess that we might be the same people who didn't really do much to prepare for Y2K or 12/21/12. (Edit)

Last edited by WYOSVX; 04-20-2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-20-2013, 06:12 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYOSVX View Post
Can anyone give you enough of a guarantee? This is a small company and so it has to run on it's reputation. One of our members has been to Andy's shop, seen his work, several of us spoken with him and done some checking. Now we have coilovers and time will tell. They'll cover the coilovers but no one can predict the future. Several of us are sufficiently convinced but I'd venture to guess that we might be the same people who didn't really do much to prepare for Y2K or 12/12/12.
I think you meant 12/21/12. The end of the Mayan calendar.

I have 2 younger brothers, twins that were born on 12/12 Not in 2012 they actually just turned 30.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:43 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvan View Post
As far as "Lifetime guaranty", I need to read the fine print NOT JUST THE BIG LETTERS.
I agree. We all drive differently under different conditions. A lifetime warranty is hard to grasp without some limitations. It sounds good while non have failed YET. But that can change with many restrictions in the future. It still doesn't justify the cost of the coilovers, considering our cars are worth about the same, more or less. Their Youtube video is very amusing though.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:18 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Hard to justify most of the money we spend on our rides, really. To each their own. Mine is my toy, 90% of the time. I feel like I paid what the AMRs are worth so far. I can see how they would not be worth the money to some, though. I feel like that part of my car is now more easily maintained farther into the future than the stock setup.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:46 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYOSVX View Post
Hard to justify most of the money we spend on our rides, really. To each their own. Mine is my toy, 90% of the time. I feel like I paid what the AMRs are worth so far. I can see how they would not be worth the money to some, though. I feel like that part of my car is now more easily maintained farther into the future than the stock setup.
This, even if the parts fail and the company does nothing about it you can get cheaper replacements that are for sure going to work.
Mine is a dd well sort of. by that I mean we have 2 cars my wife drives hers to work everyday unless it breaks down, then she takes the svx.

I use the svx when we go somewhere. As I dont leave home for work its not driven a set amount each day.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Has anyone asked AMR is they could supply a set up with dual adjustable dampers (bounce and rebound)? In car adjustment for the rears would also be outstanding.
Thanks.
Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 04-21-2013, 09:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

I believe Ceika offers dual adjustable dampers as an option with their coilovers. You'd have to send an email to Cedric to find out, though.

Not trying to hijack this thread.
2001 Audi S8
Old 04-21-2013, 10:09 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
I believe Ceika offers dual adjustable dampers as an option with their coilovers. You'd have to send an email to Cedric to find out, though.

Not trying to hijack this thread.
Mike,
I noticed that the Ceikas offered this option, that's why I as asking if the AMRs could do the same.
Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 04-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Yesterday, Tom (SVXFiles) installed the AMR Coilovers that I bought at the Reading meet. Today started the trip back to California. Ten hours from Cumberland, MD to Chattanooga,TN. The car handled like a dream! The difference was night and day. Firm, but not stiff. Looking forward to some winding roads to have some fun with!.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 476851_10151477428689681_1031773195_o.jpg (977.3 KB, 314 views)

1992 SVX LS-L "Black Beauty" 292,500K (purchased April, 1997 w/65K)
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...psz1xmhtdo.jpg

1992 SVX LS-L "Blanca" 214,000K
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...pskv0odesa.jpg
2004 Mazda RX-8
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7vggfwfu.jpg
1974 Mazda RX-4
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...psentjrygb.jpg