Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-28-2013, 09:32 AM

Port and Polish?

I'm in the process of reasealing my motor and think to myself "This would be a great opportunity to port and polish the heads!" but after a quick googling of the webernets and this forum I don't find much evidence of it being done. There's an old thread from 2004 where someone brought it up but it was followed by a lot of humming and hawing about whether it was beneficial or not.
So I ask: in the nearly 10 years since it was previously asked, has anyone done this and seen any sort of measurable gains or did Subaru design the intake and exhaust runners with enough "overhead" to make this unnecessary?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:32 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Port and Polish?

I gasket matched my intake manifold an noticed an improvement but not a ton, stock the engine breathes as much air as it needs, im not sure it needs a port/polish unless you cam it and it can actually breath in more.

I'm still gonna do a gasket match on my new engine on the intake and exhaust side, make sure you stuff some rags or paper towel down inside to keep aluminum dust off your valves, it can get pulled up into the guides and ruin the seals.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:02 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Usually with a modern Subaru engine you can only gain from porting the exhaust side.
That being said, Old Locker Pictures.....
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-28-2013, 05:51 PM

Registered SVX

Yeah forgot to mention that, the exhaust ports are tiny compared to the holes in the gasket, its a good 1/8th in. that can be taken off.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:38 AM

Thanks for the pointers guys. I had planned on pretty much leaving the intake side alone and working more on the exhaust. I suppose I'll gasket match the intake and exhaust ports and polish the exhaust outlets. I'm kindof wishing this car had been running better when we tore it apart so that I could experience the difference this makes. I guess it will just run that much better!

Any thoughts on CCing the heads? Personally, I think this will be more work than it's worth but I'd like to hear what others think on the matter.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:12 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

As much "fun" as I've had in the past cc'ing SBC heads, I really don't think it's necessary for the EG33 heads. Your time/$ is better spent on a good 3-4 angle valve job and smoothing out any "bumps" around the valves.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrvr View Post
Thanks for the pointers guys. I had planned on pretty much leaving the intake side alone and working more on the exhaust. I suppose I'll gasket match the intake and exhaust ports and polish the exhaust outlets. I'm kindof wishing this car had been running better when we tore it apart so that I could experience the difference this makes. I guess it will just run that much better!

Any thoughts on CCing the heads? Personally, I think this will be more work than it's worth but I'd like to hear what others think on the matter.

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-29-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
As much "fun" as I've had in the past cc'ing SBC heads, I really don't think it's necessary for the EG33 heads. Your time/$ is better spent on a good 3-4 angle valve job and smoothing out any "bumps" around the valves.

Bill
That's what I was thinking. I'm glad to hear that it's not worth the effort from someone who's done it. I'll be skipping that procedure.