How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-06-2011, 09:56 PM

Registered SVX
A sad ending...

Last night after work at 2:42AM I had a near head on collision with a drunk woman driving in the the wrong direction on the I-405 in Bothell Wa. I didn't see her until it was almost too late, but at the last instant swerved to the left. The impact tore the right front wheel, hub assembly and CV shaft out of my car. What a mess.
My daily driver, a red '96 LSi with 213K was in perfect operating condition. Next summer I was going to repaint her as the mirrors and quarter panel trim had faded to a different color and the hood, spoiler and bumpers had small chips.
I had just purchased 4 stock wheels for the summer touring tires I was going to put on her next spring, a spare transmission as well as a set of front CV shafts and rotors/pads for all 4 corners.
I will be in the market for a '96 or '97 as soon as this insurance stuff is settled. I loved my little red rocket ship, but now I want a black one.
I am thankful that the SVX is such a safe car. The pile of wreckage I walked away from looked like somebody probably died in there, but if you look inside and ignore the airbags and broken glass you can see that the passenger compartment is completely intact.
Drive safe my friends...
Old 10-06-2011, 10:19 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: A sad ending...

That is terrible . So sorry to hear that, but glad to hear that you're ok.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 10-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Happy Owner
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to EdfromSF Send a message via Yahoo to EdfromSF
Registered SVX

Sorry to hear about your 96 and happy to hear that you walked away ok.

Ed

1992 Subaru SVX Touring Peacock Blue (Sold)
2002 Subaru Outback VDC Cream on Gold (Sold)
Old 10-06-2011, 10:23 PM

Registered SVX

Glad to hear you're OK, but sad to hear that your SVX had to lose her life to save your's. May drunk drivers rot in hell.
'97 Ebony LSi #426, CDM (1 of 51 in '97), 185k km, rebuilt engine & transfer case; 22mm Bontrager RSB; 4300k HID 9006 bulbs SOLD
'92 Ebony LS-L #6851, USDM (sold)
'08 Forester (wife's)
'06 STi (traded for the Forester)
'94 Legacy wagon (sold)
Old 10-06-2011, 11:22 PM

Registered SVX

Sorry to hear the terrible news, but Thank God your safe and unhurt. I too lost my 96 red rocket, but in a rear end collision from a woman driving a Ford F-250. Are you going to part out your car? Good Luck finding a black 96 or 97. There was a nice looking black 97 on ebay last week.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Im REALLY addicted! CANT STOP!

Send a message via MSN to mysvxrocks Send a message via Yahoo to mysvxrocks

That really sucks... glad your ok though. I hope that other person gets whats coming!

I know this isnt black, but it is a 96, local, and under 100k... Its been on Craigslist for a bit. Might be worth a look?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ctd/2636051306.html

2006 Infra-Red Ford Focus ZX3 ~ 67k

No longer SVX'n, Ill always miss them!

1995 Polo Green LS-i ~ 95k
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~ 145k (04/91) #2231
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
Old 10-07-2011, 04:20 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

that really sucks but I am glad to hear you are fine.

Do me a favor and sue the hell out of her now.

I have such a bitter hate for drunk drivers
Old 10-07-2011, 06:18 AM

Registered SVX

Yes very strong , have always been . I remember seeing a 1981 Subaru GLF in the back of a Subaru lot when I bought my 1st one . The car rolled off the highway down an embankment,( they said rolled at least 4 times) . If you looked at the car on the inside it looked beautiful, the woman kicked out the window and got out before the police arrived . That was the selling point that sold me on Subaru. Glad you are ok RED ROCKET rest in piece. BTW did the RED ROCKET have a donor card
Old 10-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Glad to hear that you are OK. You'll find a nice one to replace her!
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Hi Chip, Sometimes going to the left is a good thing. Near Ann Arbor, Michigan were I live a guy on alcohol, and several kinds of drugs did the some thing only the victim never knew what killed her. Of course the drunk had not had a drivers license in years. You are very lucky to have not been alone. You had a Subaru as co-driver. Glad to see you are alright. As has been said, hope you find a real nice "BLACK" SVX to replace the one you lost. Take care, BOBB
Old 10-07-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Hutchinson View Post
Last night after work at 2:42AM I had a near head on collision with a drunk woman driving in the the wrong direction on the I-405 in Bothell Wa.
I will be in the market for a '96 or '97 as soon as this insurance stuff is settled. I loved my little red rocket ship, but now I want a black one.
I am thankful that the SVX is such a safe car.

Drive safe my friends...
Thank you, Chip, at our house we try. My wife just corrected me, I should have said, in our car, we try, and we pray a lot. Scarey world out there, especially in our state.

More often than not on a daily basis, I am singing the praises of the SVX... I believe it is the safest car on the road.

Insurance stuff... tough stuff. It is hard to evaluate your injuries for the first few days after an accident. Be careful what you say to those insurance folks. They would not give you a nickel for your car if they didn't have to.

We just finished the settlement about a year ago on a wreck that just about did me in and the wreck happened about 7 years ago. My accident totaled our 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon that had over 300K on it and it was still good enough that I could have went out and started it up and driven across America in it.

Irregardless of how great your car was, they will offer you about 1/3 of the value, maybe not even that. They will try to stall till the Lord comes back and after that, I don't suppose any of us will care.
Good luck with a replacement, but don't expect a lot of help from the insurance people. A lawyer probably would be of no use for you either.

Take care,
Keith
Old 10-08-2011, 01:17 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Glad that you were OK.
Sorry about your car.

It's kind of like that new Subaru comercial;
She saved my life,
I'll never forget that...........
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 10-08-2011, 06:48 AM

Registered SVX

Thank You to all of you. I am feeling better. I also feel for the young lady that hit me. Her mother called me and said that her daughter was afraid to call because she thought I may have been severely injured. I am not in as much pain now as I was yesterday, and soon the pain will be a distant memory.
If you think it cannot happen to you... You are wrong! Stay vigilant. Your best defense against bad or drunk drivers is simply a matter of increased vigilance, and even that may not be enough. Let us hope that it is.

Chip.