Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-21-2009, 09:47 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Subaru factory subwoofer kits - differences?

I'm looking into getting one of the subaru factory sub kits to mount under the passenger seat. I'd kind of like one of the 120w versions, since I'd like the extra punch over the 80w (p/n H6300AS030).

A few questions though. What's the difference between the various part numbers? I'm seeing:

H6300SS601
H6300SS202
H6300SS600
H6300SS601
H6300SS800
H6300LS300

and I'm sure there are others I'm missing. These are all 120w units - I'm assuming the only differences are mounting brackets and maybe wiring? Does anyone know which one of these includes a bracket that is most "adaptable" to the SVX? Do the 80w versions have the same dimensions as the 120w? I saw in another thread that someone fit an 80w version - I want to make sure that the 120w will fit as well before I buy one.

Does anyone know?
Old 02-21-2009, 10:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Subaru factory subwoofer kits - differences?

The differences, for the most part, are brackets and differences in wiring length. Some units are of different shapes.

This photo illustrates an 80 watt unit I had in one of my old svxs. It was from a 98 2.5RS.

The sound from these units isn't the greatest. You'd be much better off getting an infinity basslink or similar.
2001 Audi S8

Last edited by Green1995SVX; 02-21-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

The main difference is the brackets. They're custom for each model, plus in some models/years the sub goes under the driver's seat instead of under the passenger's.

There might be slight differences in the lengths of the cables, but they're all very similar. The 8-pin plug at the sub end is the same on all.

The Subaru sub units themselves have looked the same in recent years.

Around 2005-2006, the factory radio for some models includes a new socket with a 65W subwoofer speaker output. That 5th channel is fed from all 4 of the radio's channels. The sub add-on option for those models is still the underseat powered type. But the T-harness added an extra plug for that new socket. In a few models where the sub came from the factory (Forester or Legacy wagon) , the sub is a plain speaker (no amp) in a rear pillar or cargo area, and connects directly to the 5th channel output.

Some 2008 subs now come with two T-harnesses, to plug into either of the two types of radio harnesses that Subaru is now using.

See more info and pictures in posts 4 and 5 of my thread on NASIOC.

Several of Subaru's sub installation guides are on their "techinfo" site here (some 2003 and 2007-up).

If your SVX has the storage drawer under the passenger seat, the sub may not fit there. If you have the powered driver's seat, I'm not sure whether there's enough room under there.

I agree with Green1995SVX — the Subaru sub is nothing spectacular. I don't recommend it if you'd be paying full price. There are several aftermarket underseat subs that cost less new and perform a little better. Definitely worthwhile if you already have, or may eventually switch to an aftermarket HU that has line-level sub outputs.

Either way, I can help you out with harnesses. E-mail me for more info.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:02 AM

Thanks for the detailed input, guys...I figured that differences in wiring + brackets were responsible for all of the various part numbers, but there's almost a $100 variation between some of those on Subaruparts.com so I wasn't sure if that was the only thing or not.

I did a bit more searching around, and you guys are right, the consensus seems to be that these are sort of lame. I was looking at them mainly because I want something that I can tuck out of the way that will not be a permanent trunk fixture. I'm not looking to win any SPL competitions, but would like to fill out the music a bit without spending a ton of money.

I looked up the Inifinity Basslink, but it's too big to fit under the seat. The BOSS BASS600 would fit, but the controls are on the end that would be up against the seat track when installed, making adjustment difficult. Plus, it's BOSS although this model seems to get good reviews. The Clarion SRV-314 seems like it might be decent, but I haven't been able to find much info on it yet. The Kenwood KSC-SW10 looks good too, but I think it might be just a bit too big to go nicely under the seat...
Old 02-22-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post

If your SVX has the storage drawer under the passenger seat, the sub may not fit there. If you have the powered driver's seat, I'm not sure whether there's enough room under there.
Yes, I have the storage drawer, and the power driver's seat. This would be going under the passenger seat. I took a quick measurement, and there seems to be about 15" track to track, and roughly 3.5" - 4" of depth. Anything much larger than 7 or 8 inches in width is going to start cutting into rear passengers' foot room (not that that's a huge concern, but something to consider).

Quote:
I agree with Green1995SVX — the Subaru sub is nothing spectacular. I don't recommend it if you'd be paying full price. There are several aftermarket underseat subs that cost less new and perform a little better. Definitely worthwhile if you already have, or may eventually switch to an aftermarket HU that has line-level sub outputs.

Either way, I can help you out with harnesses. E-mail me for more info.
I've already got an aftermarket HU with line-level outputs, so I'm set there. I probably will end up with an aftermarket underseat sub - most likely the Clarion I linked above, although I'm not sure yet.

I already got my HU harness from you...I just rewired my stereo harness with it today, in fact Still have to repair the clipped wires in the dash and reinstall everything though.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:49 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

+1 on the Subaru sub being "meh". I had one in my Legacy.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:37 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

The space underneath the seat isnt very large. Your best bet is the the Infinity Basslink. Sound quality is going to always be a compromise between space, and amp quality, and the Basslink is probably the best self powered sub on a budget.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black88GTA View Post
.. there's almost a $100 variation between some of those on Subaruparts.com so I wasn't sure if that was the only thing or not.
The ones with that much difference in price are almost certainly different wattages, although it's possible that some of the prices are mistakes (or haven't been discounted like others of the same power). Unfortunately, many of the descriptions don't give the power rating.

Check the clearance underneath the seat when someone is sitting in it.