Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 12:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to AnthraXFan Send a message via Yahoo to AnthraXFan
Randomly shifting?

Maybe not so random, but it sure feels like it. Here's what's going on with the car:

While on cruise control, highway speeds around 75mph, shifter in drive, the car will sometimes go from 2500 rpm, and act like it's shifting down off of overdrive, and down a gear. After about 2 seconds, it will shift back..this happens at least 10 times during a 30 min commute...it's been going on though for about the past 4 years.
Lately though, it will do this, and occassionally drop into what feels like 3rd gear, RPMs up around 4000, then go to drive, then back to 2500 rpm. Doesn't feel like I'm losing speed, but just that the engine thinks it needs to shift.

At slower speeds, driving in "3", it will dive into 2nd gear, then back to 3rd. Car is also taking a while to shift from 1st to 2nd under normal acceleration. I've tried using the "manual" button lately, no change. Also, I've never seen the "power" light come on in the 5+ years that I've owned the car...bought it with 55K miles on it.

So this all doesn't sound like it's just a single gear problem. Lately it's been happening more when I have the air conditioning on, or when going up hills. Any thoughts?

I've read a little on the brake band, maybe just needs a tune-up? Car has never had a tune up, and it's at 138,000 miles. I had the tranny flushed at 78,000 miles. Any words of what you might be thinking are most appreciated.

Go to my Site!

http://www.railroadfan.com
Old 05-28-2007, 06:36 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Throttle Position Sensor? That might be the cause. The brake band usually causes really bad slipping in shifts from 2-3.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 05-28-2007, 06:55 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius
Throttle Position Sensor? That might be the cause. The brake band usually causes really bad slipping in shifts from 2-3.
`

Jason,

I am with you 100%. The TPS would be the first option to check, and details are in the How Too stuff. However I do not recommend the complicated suggested procedure, trying to prove some kind of calibration.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to AnthraXFan Send a message via Yahoo to AnthraXFan
Thanks much for the information on the TPS... For someone that hasn't done more than change his air filter before on the SVX, getting that TPS unit out was quite the task. I was able to get it out, and ran some CRC cleaner through it, threw it back on, but the random shifting is still going on. I've noticed it does this at partial throttle, like when maintaining speeds between 40 and 80. If it starts to downshift, if I then hit the gas, the throttle knows to shift back.

I'm looking to see if maybe the voltage is off if I can find a quality meter.
If that doesn't work, off to the dealership to get it cleaned/tested/replaced.

Go to my Site!

http://www.railroadfan.com
Old 06-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
You can also check for used ones, however, the life you'll get out of one is never guaranteed. New ones are expensive though.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:36 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthraXFan
Thanks much for the information on the TPS... For someone that hasn't done more than change his air filter before on the SVX, getting that TPS unit out was quite the task. I was able to get it out, and ran some CRC cleaner through it, threw it back on, but the random shifting is still going on. I've noticed it does this at partial throttle, like when maintaining speeds between 40 and 80. If it starts to downshift, if I then hit the gas, the throttle knows to shift back.

I'm looking to see if maybe the voltage is off if I can find a quality meter.
If that doesn't work, off to the dealership to get it cleaned/tested/replaced.
Your efforts were pointless. It is very difficult to get cleaning fluid to penetrate to the internal plastic resistance elements and it essential that smooth contact is confirmed.

Any cheap meter set to ohms will do this job as calibration is of no consequence. What is more the cheap multi meters now available are surprisingly accurate and using one to set the static voltage, is sure to be within tolerance. What you advise would indicate that the setting could be anywhere.

Forget the dealership in respect of testing the TPS as a component. They can not, do not, test or fix components. There knowledge is confined to simply replacing what could be faulty, limited to the smallest assembly in the parts book. i.e. yanking things off and "throwing things back on."

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!