Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Track Days 2 2007

Went to Summit Point last weekend. Capitol Area R32 Club has a 2 day HPDE event under NASA Mid-Atlantic management. Terrific event on the Shenandoah circuit. Really challenging circuit, two miles, 17 turns. Here is a track map

One of the 180 hairpins, called the Karrusel features something I've never seen before, a steep banked portion of the track that is like some sort of chute. Some pictures. The entry.

Had a really good couple of days. Harry (NewSVX) came around to visit. He has driven both the main track and the Shenandoah track multiple times. It was good to see him, since I missed Reading this year. Here are some shots of my car on the track.

About to be eaten by an Evo:

Long view of the track entrance from the pit;

Got back, and car was running poorly. Took it to the shop, with the following news, fried main cat, dying power steering pump, and maybe dead pre-cats. Had to cancel my track day at Pocono this Sunday, but have a double track day, mid-June. Car should be back in form by then. Hope to get in 10 days by the time the season is over. Have to get to Watkins Glen, and main circuit at Summit Point. Shooting for HPDE3 for start of next year.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 05-27-2007, 11:47 PM
One teal and One yellow

Like to see your SVX running with lot of competitive cars. Did you turn on your radio when you're on the track?

See your antenna is up...EVO's at the back...

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 05-28-2007, 07:28 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Forgot to turn it off.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Old 05-28-2007, 08:32 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Great looking pictures. Looks like lots of fun. I'll have to try and get out once i get my car fixed up.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 05-28-2007, 09:52 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Heh. They duplicated the Nordschleife's Karrusel. That's awesome.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
That sucks that your cats and pump are toast and you missed Ponoco, but at least it wasn't a terribly serious breakdown.

Do you have any plans for making more power?

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Not really, but I have plans to drive better. The issue right now is that the rear end is coming around more than I have been used to in the past. Don't know if that is because I'm driving closer to the edge, or I need to do some suspension tuning, or maybe my tires are going off. I have been running the same BFG G-Force KDW2's for 10 track days and 2 summers. Probably going to get a set of Bridgestone RE-01R's.

The important thing is, though, that I'm getting able to catch it when it comes around. For a really good driver going at 9/10's the rear end will come around fairly often, and it's not really a big deal. They know how to handle it, so that is what I need to learn. At LimeRock, it came around, and I spun, but not really out of control. At Summit, the rear end came around twice. The first time at the turn at the end of the long straight, I corrected, didn't spin, but drove off onto the dirt, after it fishtailed back the other way. That was because of a little too much trail braking. The second time was on the off-camber curve at the start of the bridge straight, under power. I caught it, corrected and kept going.

It's not about power, its about cornering. Under HPDE rules, I'm obliged to lift up to let pass under powered cars that are faster than I am in the corners.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Dan,
what are you running, alignment-wise? I just had my car realigned for the new autoX season and found that both passenger's side tires had lost negative camber since my last alignment. If the rear gets some toe out it will cause the rear to come around faster.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Bill:

I had been running stock values which were last set up when I had my coil-overs installed almost 2 years ago. I should have it re-aligned. I had the camber adjustment bolts installed on the rears, so I conceivably could have at least as much as 1.5 degrees negative. I'll take it in and see if I can get it set up.

Thanks

Dan

Old 05-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade
Bill:

I had been running stock values which were last set up when I had my coil-overs installed almost 2 years ago. I should have it re-aligned. I had the camber adjustment bolts installed on the rears, so I conceivably could have at least as much as 1.5 degrees negative. I'll take it in and see if I can get it set up.

Thanks

Dan

Dan,
No problem Let us know what the shop says when they get it on the alignment rack. I'm very curious to hear what 2+ years of heavy track use has done.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-30-2007, 01:01 PM
Maniac modifier

Dan, when am I gonna go w/ u again?? i totally forget

Tom
Old 05-31-2007, 09:42 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Tom:

I am participating in the Performance Driving Association Event at Pocono on Jul 20 and 21st (Fri and Sat). Here is the registration website:

http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/inde...ions&Itemid=94

The Friday event is on all 3 courses, South, East and North. You get a lot of seat time. Typically 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off. Minimum 3 hours seat time during the day. The Sat event is on a single, longer course. The double infield course features lots of turns over a 2.5+ mile course. Less seat time, more interest. I have a double room at the Ramada Inn in Lake Harmony for Friday night, so you've got a bed if you want.

You need to have a Snell 2000 helmet and plan to be at the track about 7:00am. You also should download the tech inspection sheet and get someone official to fill it out before you get there. Also look at the FAQ's to see whatr you need to bring. Tools, air pump, etc. Also, a cooler full of sport drinks or something.

Hope you can make it.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:20 PM
Maniac modifier

I am going to register for Fri course... Just gotta make sure I have $300 before i go and spend it

Tom
Old 05-31-2007, 07:18 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade
Not really, but I have plans to drive better. The issue right now is that the rear end is coming around more than I have been used to in the past. Don't know if that is because I'm driving closer to the edge, or I need to do some suspension tuning, or maybe my tires are going off. I have been running the same BFG G-Force KDW2's for 10 track days and 2 summers. Probably going to get a set of Bridgestone RE-01R's.

The important thing is, though, that I'm getting able to catch it when it comes around. For a really good driver going at 9/10's the rear end will come around fairly often, and it's not really a big deal. They know how to handle it, so that is what I need to learn. At LimeRock, it came around, and I spun, but not really out of control. At Summit, the rear end came around twice. The first time at the turn at the end of the long straight, I corrected, didn't spin, but drove off onto the dirt, after it fishtailed back the other way. That was because of a little too much trail braking. The second time was on the off-camber curve at the start of the bridge straight, under power. I caught it, corrected and kept going.

It's not about power, its about cornering. Under HPDE rules, I'm obliged to lift up to let pass under powered cars that are faster than I am in the corners.
Disconnect that front sway bar. Sure its a cheap fix that isn't perfect as you do tend to understeer a bit more at low speeds but it'll will fix the rear end issues. In the car's current condition DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT LET WALLY, AKA SVXRIDE, AKA BILL drive it in the current state. IT WILL END UP IN A WALL!
Old 06-01-2007, 06:08 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

I am having the car aligned. I have asked for -1.5 Deg rear camber and -1.0 deg front. I have the camber adjustment bolts on the rear, so I should be able to get this setting. We'll see how it goes at Pocono. Want to avoid disconnecting the front sway bar for now as I have had power understeer scrub issues in the past on tighter corners.