Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 07:11 PM

Is it the A/C compressor or the Crank Pulley?

I am a noob to SVX's. I just bought a 95 w/ 190k. I have had my car 3 days. I already love it even though it has been nothing but trouble! First overheating, then electrical issues now this...

I think it needs a new crank shaft pulley. The problem my car is having could be either the crank pulley or the a/c compressor or both. If the car is idling or I am driving at less than freeway speeds and I turn on the AC, the accessory belts stop moving! The outside of the crank pulley stops and the inside turns with the engine. From everything I have read and searched on this site the crank pulley just needs to be replaced.

I just need someone with more than the 3 days of experience with svx's to tell me I am right before I go spend a bunch of money on parts and a couple hours tearing apart my car. I would also appreciate any tips you might have. Are there any pitfalls to watch out for? And how do I keep the engine from turning while I loosen the bolt that holds the pulley on?

Thank you for your help!
Old 05-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Your right.

A couple ways to loosen the crank pulley bolt;
- There is a rubber plug on the top passenger side of the engine side of the bellhousing. remove this plug and you can shove something in the flexplate to stop the crank from spinning.
- If you get the car on ramp, you have access to the flexplate torque converter from below.
- Put a breaker bar on the pulley bolt and give it a few sharp taps with a hammer.
- Use an extension on the breaker bar and position it against the ground under the battery, crank the engine, NOT ENOUGH TO START IT. Just long enough to cause any spin will be enough to break the bolt loose.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:25 PM

You guys are awesome!

Thats amazing. I just posted this problem 5 minutes ago and already an answer!

Thank you guys! Looks like i have a call to make to motorsport warehouse and a date with my engine this weekend.