Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2007, 08:55 AM

EG33 swapped Brighton Impreza

Hi everyone! I have been doing alot of reading on this site to gain some more information on the EG33. GREAT INFO!!!! Some of you may have seen the threads on other forums about this car. It a steel widebody Impreza cp I am building for auto-x/light street. As you can imagine, the Impreza community is all about the new EZ30R swaps done by Perrin etc....so not alot of info on the EG. Actually, everyone is asking me why the EG. My main question is, what is available for this engine in N/A config? I have been reading the cam lobe thread so I know there are cams somewhere. Is there one ECU that is better with this engine than others? Who carries them? And to the 5 spd swap guys, how much are you getting your 5 spds to handle torque wise? I have the whole 92 pearl white donor car still (BTW, the car was condemed after an uneducated owner hammered the car....not a good opperating car) I still have alot of good parts left....just ask.) What is the rear end in the SVX? R160? R180? LSD? what ratio?

These pics are @ 45 days ago so much progress has been made since. The build is being documented on www.ultimatecarforum.com a sponsor of our team!

I know I have alot of questions and any help is very much appreciated. Thank you in adance!

Craig

Last edited by wombat; 08-08-2007 at 05:28 AM.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

I'll get started answering some of your questions...

Rear diff on the SVX is an R160 LSD with 3.55 ratios. This is the same rear end found in the 5spd '02-'05 WRX's (they have a 3.90 front diff and a 1.1:1 step-down to their 3.55 rear diffs)

In terms of engine management - check out www.ecutune.com which is run by a member here who goes by Longassname. You'll probably want to contact him (he lives in Tampa, FL IIRC) to have him develop a custom tune for your car.

Good luck!

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 01-01-2007, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the start! I'll be snagging the LSD then. I have the 3.90 gears now that match my trans so I guess I'll just change the r&p for now. I may also see if I can use the brakes from the SVX as well (I have factory drum rears now.) Has anyone broken WRX trannys yet?

I have seen a couple of SVX swaps started but no one seems to finish them. I have read somewhere on here that I have to jump a wire so that the rev limiter goes all the way to redline and not stop half way. Is that true if I am not running the t-ecu? I have done a ton of WRX-STi swaps, but this is uncharted for me and finding good info has proven to be the hardest thing.

Thank you again!

Last edited by wombat; 01-01-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:04 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Read your thread....you have done a hell of alot of metalwork and custom fabrication so far. seems you just need to get the drivetrain squared away. lemme tell ya, this is a good place to start. Good luck with the project!
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 01-01-2007, 12:53 PM

Thanks, I have been researching gear ratios and rear end ratios all day...I think I've got it. I have another engine now so I'll just drop that in as stock for now and do a full build on the one pictured. With slicks, I have a feeling I'll end up with a dog 1-2-3 eventually or an STi 6spd.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
good luck and it seems like you have most of what you need to know... IF it is driveline... I can answer the questions u have

Tom
Old 01-01-2007, 07:37 PM

My biggest question is:

what is available for this engine in N/A config? I have been reading the cam lobe thread so I know there are cams somewhere. Is there one ECU that is better with this engine than others? Who carries them? I will try to contact LAN soon to get his insight, but what about a Megasquirt? I read on here someone is using it. Is that a better way to go than the OE ECU?

Thank you soo much for all of your help!
Old 01-01-2007, 07:51 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat
My biggest question is:

what is available for this engine in N/A config? I have been reading the cam lobe thread so I know there are cams somewhere. Is there one ECU that is better with this engine than others? Who carries them? I will try to contact LAN soon to get his insight, but what about a Megasquirt? I read on here someone is using it. Is that a better way to go than the OE ECU?

Thank you soo much for all of your help!
start 2cents....

Really just depends what you want. The stock ECU is a 16x16 load based MAF system, karmen hotwire. It is very accurate(injection occurs only before ignition, very precise) and as long as you go with stage 2, you will have enough fuel with the bigger 370cc injectors to do whatever you want NA(370cc injector and Z32 maf rom's are in development and will be released soon).

The cam configurations have been used in a few cars now, and they seem to be a good grind. I would assume you plan on doing bigger valves and springs since u are going NA, but I am afraid you are slightly more on your own. Simple measurements should yield something easily attainable on the market place I will assume, With good reason. Valve float will be your biggest hurdle as the stock springs are going to be soft for high revs. Retard out the cams a tooth and you have 7 degrees of retard, and a higher power band for a nice compliment to take advantage of the new breathe.

The Megasquirt is an 8x8 map based VE system. Its a PITA but not horrible, I cant see why you would go this route thogh, you arent needing to remove timing, and if anything the stock spark control will be far more beneficial then a megasquirt rig and J&S style setup. Each bank is controlled independanty. Longassnames stage 2 map increases not only the primary ignition advance tables but the secondary lookup tables as well, and the system will advance to knock nicely with the Stock JECS rig. So go stage 2 ECutune, and with the new 370cc injector+z32maf you will be free to give it as much power as you can afford to in NA trim.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:23 AM

great info Phat! OK, looks like I'll go with LAN's stage II set up. In regards to the cams, are you sayiong to retard the cams 1 tooth even with the stock cams? or only if I go with a custom grind. I thought I read a thread on here where there were a couple of guys running custom grinds. Did they have to go through everything in the heads as well?

Basically, I already have a bunch of money in this car just to where its at and at this point, I need to get it running and in front of my sponsors. The plan is to get it running, sort out the chassis and build a new motor in the mean time. But, If I can do cams now as well as an ECU tune, I'll be needing them later anyways so I dont have a problem buying them but I am not wanting to prolong the completion of the car much longer as I have a April deadline to have the car done and running. Not a problem, but I want to see how far I can go with a full N/A build on the second engine.

Thank you all very much for all of this information!!!

Last edited by wombat; 01-02-2007 at 05:26 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:31 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
great info Phat! OK, looks like I'll go with LAN's stage II set up. In regards to the cams, are you sayiong to retard the cams 1 tooth even with the stock cams? or only if I go with a custom grind. I thought I read a thread on here where there were a couple of guys running custom grinds. Did they have to go through everything in the heads as well?

Basically, I already have a bunch of money in this car just to where its at and at this point, I need to get it running and in front of my sponsors. The plan is to get it running, sort out the chassis and build a new motor in the mean time. But, If I can do cams now as well as an ECU tune, I'll be needing them later anyways so I dont have a problem buying them but I am not wanting to prolong the completion of the car much longer as I have a April deadline to have the car done and running. Not a problem, but I want to see how far I can go with a full N/A build on the second engine.

Thank you all very much for all of this information!!!
I thought I'd throw out my 2 cents...
I've installed a EG33 into my 1989 XT6, makes for a REALLY fun, and quick car.... BUT it pushes in the corners REALLY bad due to all the extra weight hanging out in front of the front axles....so if you're gonna be auto-Xing this car, start planning some serious upgrades to the suspensiion....if you're going to be dragging the car....ignore all my previous statement, as it won't matter in the slightest
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"

Last edited by huck369; 01-02-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Like someone said earlier, LAN (Mike Emery) at ECUTune Would be the guy for you to talk to. He's done alot of work with the stock ECUs. There isnt alot currently available. There are a few of us here that are working to change that. LAN is also currently looking into cam development, but I believe the cams he's looking at are designed to work with a supercharged engine. I'm running one of the ECUTune Stage III systems, which is a Wipple supercharger kit. I'm also running an STi 6-speed with an R180 rear, that TomsSVX installed for me.

LAN spends part of his time in Tampa and part in Miami. You might be able to work with him on alot of what you need.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369
I thought I'd throw out my 2 cents...
I've installed a EG33 into my 1989 XT6, makes for a REALLY fun, and quick car.... BUT it pushes in the corners REALLY bad due to all the extra weight hanging out in front of the front axles....so if you're gonna be auto-Xing this car, start planning some serious upgrades to the suspensiion....if you're going to be dragging the car....ignore all my previous statement, as it won't matter in the slightest
I too noticed the weight difference. The car is for auto-x ing. I have removed a ton of pieces from the front of the car already and actually went too far. My ABS, A/C, Steel hood, relocated battery and front bumper beam are all gone. Now, I'm too light! hehehe always something. I am also running Cusco Zero 2-R coilovers.

How did you deal with the wiring? Did you splice everything or just what was needed to make the engine run?
Old 01-03-2007, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
Like someone said earlier, LAN (Mike Emery) at ECUTune Would be the guy for you to talk to. He's done alot of work with the stock ECUs. There isnt alot currently available. There are a few of us here that are working to change that. LAN is also currently looking into cam development, but I believe the cams he's looking at are designed to work with a supercharged engine. I'm running one of the ECUTune Stage III systems, which is a Wipple supercharger kit. I'm also running an STi 6-speed with an R180 rear, that TomsSVX installed for me.

LAN spends part of his time in Tampa and part in Miami. You might be able to work with him on alot of what you need.

LAN's name seems to pop up quite a bit on here, I really need to find some time to contact him.

Thank you to all of the great responses!!!
Old 01-03-2007, 05:26 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
I too noticed the weight difference. The car is for auto-x ing. I have removed a ton of pieces from the front of the car already and actually went too far. My ABS, A/C, Steel hood, relocated battery and front bumper beam are all gone. Now, I'm too light! hehehe always something. I am also running Cusco Zero 2-R coilovers.

How did you deal with the wiring? Did you splice everything or just what was needed to make the engine run?

I just wired up the SVX ECU to the motor seperate from the Impreza wiring, just a few wires have to tie back into the Impreza system....
The Fuel pump trigger wire
And 3 power supplys for the ECU, 1 constant, and 2 switched.
thatis all that is needed to make it run.

Plus the gauge wires. (not required to run, but I'm sure you'll want them to work)
Tach
Water Temp
Oil Pressure (I had to add a Oil Pressure Gauge Sender since the XT6 has a Oil Pressure Gauge where as the SVX, nor Impreza do.)

I had to keep the XT6 ECU, due to the XT6 having the electric power steering system, which is controlled by the ECU...so I still have both ECU's in FrankenWedge...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 01-03-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369
I just wired up the SVX ECU to the motor seperate from the Impreza wiring, just a few wires have to tie back into the Impreza system....
The Fuel pump trigger wire
And 3 power supplys for the ECU, 1 constant, and 2 switched.
thatis all that is needed to make it run.

Plus the gauge wires. (not required to run, but I'm sure you'll want them to work)
Tach
Water Temp
Oil Pressure (I had to add a Oil Pressure Gauge Sender since the XT6 has a Oil Pressure Gauge where as the SVX, nor Impreza do.)

I had to keep the XT6 ECU, due to the XT6 having the electric power steering system, which is controlled by the ECU...so I still have both ECU's in FrankenWedge...
Frankenwedge...I like that!

As for the wiring, after I seperated the SVX engine from the SVX body, I only noticed a few...maybe5-6 wires that were nessessary. I am running independant guages and the speed-o is cable driven. I think if I were to power up the car without the ECU pluged in, everything else works. I'll have to try that. Great info! I just think the engine looks cool sitting in there...hehehe