SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2006, 11:12 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

AWD repair

Hi,

Just bought a canadian SVx 2 months ago. She have 130 000 km on it, for a '92, it is pretty low mileage.

Anyway, I'm now reading as much threads as I can every nights and finaly found out that my AWD is not doing its job as it must do.

I did the Grass test (front wheels on grass and rear wheels on the street), now I know my front wheels can spin for 2-5 sec before rear wheels begins to receive power. it really smells like a bad Solenoid C or a bad transfer clutch.

I will get under it and open the housing to change my Sol C. 90$ is not a problem. I would like to know what else should I take a look to while I'm there ?
Any other cheap parts i sould change or check ?

Thanks for your help, tons of snow is about to fall on us up here in Québec, so I want to be ready to ride on it with all of my 4 wheels
Old 11-26-2006, 03:20 PM

Registered SVX
For several reasons, It would appear wise to rule out the possibility that the problem is confined to solenoid C. Is the concern simply a delay, rather than the rear not ultimately receiving full power?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-26-2006, 09:22 PM

I never tried any other SVX than mine, but I'm pretty sure that 5 seconds is not a delay. What you guys think about it ?
Old 11-26-2006, 10:56 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycho
I never tried any other SVX than mine, but I'm pretty sure that 5 seconds is not a delay. What you guys think about it ?
Is the rear end receiving full power after five seconds has elapsed?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-27-2006, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Is the rear end receiving full power after five seconds has elapsed?
in fact, its hard to say. On the road I can feel the front end pulling the car in the steering wheel.

I will try to jack all 4 wheels to see what happen. If the rear one never receive power I'll see it easily.

If there is no or little power transfered to the rear end, is it a Sol C trouble or should I take a look an other components

Thanks for your help guys
Old 11-27-2006, 04:57 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
in fact, its hard to say. On the road I can feel the front end pulling the car in the steering wheel.

I will try to jack all 4 wheels to see what happen. If the rear one never receive power I'll see it easily.

If there is no or little power transfered to the rear end, is it a Sol C trouble or should I take a look an other components

Thanks for your help guys
From what you report it would appear that rear wheel torque is lacking. You must check all components and the clutch is the most likely contender.

If you check with the car in the air, do not rely simply on rear wheel rotation under no load. Apply a little handbrake as a further check.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
From what you report it would appear that rear wheel torque is lacking. You must check all components and the clutch is the most likely contender.

If you check with the car in the air, do not rely simply on rear wheel rotation under no load. Apply a little handbrake as a further check.
Ok, thanks for the tips with the hand brake ... I'll post back when the test is done
4,44 Gear Ratio
Shift Kit
Energy Suspension everywhere
Old 11-27-2006, 05:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
I've said it a hundred times before - if there is a noticeable delay between your front wheels spinning and the rear wheels engaging, you have a problem. The original post in this thread is a good example. 5 seconds? That's huge. Even a half a second would still be significant.

I agree with Trevor - the culprit is most likely the transfer clutch itself. Don't stop at replacing the solenoid - replace the clutch as well.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-28-2006, 08:29 AM

Plenty of snow-not much go

Didn't think much about whether I'm getting traction to all wheels til the snow hit. Rare as it is in Seattle, we got hit pretty good and coming up a small hill home, I found I too had only front wheel drive. It's a 95 "L" but has the rear diff./ driveshaft so gotta be in the mechanicals. Does the symptom of front wheel engagement only fit into this threads scenario? Would your quick opinion be look for the same faults as described above? And last, I'm entertaining a manual transmission swap, maybe early spring so wonder if the expenses of a shop repair now should be diverted toward the tranny change? Hoping those of you with some knowledge on this can comment. Thanks! Zane
Old 11-28-2006, 05:14 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
I've said it a hundred times before - if there is a noticeable delay between your front wheels spinning and the rear wheels engaging, you have a problem. The original post in this thread is a good example. 5 seconds? That's huge. Even a half a second would still be significant.

I agree with Trevor - the culprit is most likely the transfer clutch itself. Don't stop at replacing the solenoid - replace the clutch as well.
Yes Nick is right, any delay is not right.

But it won't be the clutch itself. The clutch is self-adjusting as is all the other clutches it the box. As they wear, they get pushed together just the same as new. It will either work, or not work, there is no middle ground.

Slow reaction to drive the rear wheels can be caused by;
1. Sticking C solenoid, (should post a code)
2. Sticking transfer spool valve. ( no code, replace assemble.)
3. Low line pressure.
4. Transfer pressure leaking out at the sealing rings, between the output shaft and the extension housing.( early models, rings were modified, but don't know when.)

The only way to tell for sure is to connect a pressure gauge to the port on the extension housing to see the pressure that is being applied. This will show if it is the 'C solenoid/Transfer valve assemble', as the pressure rise will be delayed. If the pressure rises fast but the clutch is still delayed, it is the sealing rings, leaking pressure to cause the delay.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:43 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Yes Nick is right, any delay is not right.

But it won't be the clutch itself. The clutch is self-adjusting as is all the other clutches it the box. As they wear, they get pushed together just the same as new. It will either work, or not work, there is no middle ground.

Harvey.
Evidently clutches do not reach a worn condition whereby they slip.

Edit P.S. Maybe this particular transmission incorporates a dog of a clutch.

Last edited by Trevor; 11-28-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:39 AM

So, first real snow has fallen up here ... I havn't been able to get up the hill to my house last night

It is now official, I getting absolutely no power to rear wheels

and by the way, while trying to get home, I got the TCU code 32 - VSS1

The power light do not flash anymore but I can still get the code using the «previous code retrieval procedure».

I already changed my front speed sensor 1 month ago (Vss2 - in the torque converter). This time I had absolutly no symptoms like the first time, no freaky speedo. Is somebody can tell me if the VSS1 can be related to my AWD problem ?

I can't find any info on the VSS1, where is it and how can I check it ?

Thanks for your help
Frank
4,44 Gear Ratio
Shift Kit
Old 12-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Just a thought

Make sure nobody has inserted a fuse in the AWD slot in the fusebox under the hood.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpianoman
Make sure nobody has inserted a fuse in the AWD slot in the fusebox under the hood.
I already looked for that fuse, it is not the problem.
4,44 Gear Ratio
Shift Kit
Old 12-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Jacking all 4 wheels off the ground will not tell you if the AWD is working properly.

What's becoming more of an issue if the drum for the AWD clutch is sheering off. My dad has seen 2 do this and the one from my old 4EAT was cracked 2/3 the way around.

I'm not saying that's exactly your issue but definitely something to consider.