Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-20-2006, 08:32 AM

Front brakes

I just did a complete brake job on my 1994 SVX, Problem...The front calibers before was loose on the pin, bought rebuilt ones to replace same problem... I replace them with 2 manufautures brand same problem.. calibers are still loose and rattle like crazy over bumps...When i applied the brakes slightly the noise goes away.I have replace pins bolts and all...but the place where the pin goes in the caliber is loose...is there a fix for that? Do i have to live with this problem? It stops great and all but the noise is bothersome...
Thanks if someone can help on this
Art.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Parts Breaker, Tire Waster

Send a message via AIM to hexadec0079
umm try some washers as spacers to tighten the alignment of the caliper back up. IDK maybe ur hubs are warped and they won't seat properly. Weird problem...
Green, LS with spoiler, 157,000, ES Swaybar bushings, 9005/6 mod, 2.25' Dual Exhaust, Custom Grounding, Hyperwhite fogs, LED tails, 4.44s, custom Blitz intake, tranny cooler, thats about it, for now...

1997 Chevy 1500 -FOR SALE-
5.7 liter, Z71, 300hp+, still almost 20mpg

1986 Merkur XR4Ti -SOLD-
SVO Engine, T3 hybrid turbo, K&N, custom ducting, Initial D painted, 18psi, fastest car for under $1000, ever.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:09 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
If you are talking about the top pin that slides into the caliper, then it should be snug not loose. Maybe the hole is too large, replace that part. If you are talking about the bottom pin that bolts on to the caliper, then use washers or spacers as mentioned before. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:26 PM

hate to ask an insulting question but.......

is it the CALIPER thats loose/rattling for sure?

could it be pads?(i just replaced my pads/rotors last week with factory subie stuff and the pads came with a BUNCH of clips/shims etc.)

or could it be the cast bracket that holds the pads? is it loose on the hub?

i used the shims/clips and never had any trouble....no noise whatsoever.......

just a thought.....

rob

92 ebony 4.44's rock !!
Old 11-22-2006, 05:29 PM
halfsharkalligatorhalfman

take the wheel off, then put a couple lug nuts back on to hold the rotor. then grab things and shake them till you find whats rattling. My rattle was the top pin. I replaced it, and it helped a little. I also bought and installed all the shims that were missing, but that didnt help at all. Im thinking about a little bit of hi temp silicone around the top pin. It would keep it from rattling, and you would still be able to get it off if you needed.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:33 PM

caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merz
take the wheel off, then put a couple lug nuts back on to hold the rotor. then grab things and shake them till you find whats rattling. My rattle was the top pin. I replaced it, and it helped a little. I also bought and installed all the shims that were missing, but that didnt help at all. Im thinking about a little bit of hi temp silicone around the top pin. It would keep it from rattling, and you would still be able to get it off if you needed.
Yes, it is the top pin that is loose in the caliber..I replace them twice and still loose on the pin...Replace everthing, rotor, hardware. pins and bolts..these are fully loaded calibers so all was there..When i use the brake just a little noise goes away...all else is good except the calibers---I will try the silicone and give it a try.. I tried different manufatures and still the same..it seems like the pin hole is to big in the caliber like it needs a bushing in there...
Thanks Art
Old 11-22-2006, 09:20 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
That pin is meant to slide in and out a little while pressure is put on the brakes. I would not recommend using silicone.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:49 PM

Caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr
That pin is meant to slide in and out a little while pressure is put on the brakes. I would not recommend using silicone.
OK that is out for i never thought about that but i should of known that would not work but it went right over...I ran out of options to do without trying another brand but 2 already was the same..I went to midas and they said i have to keep bringing them back and doing a swap until i get one that is not wollow out.. that is not in my way of doing things..
I hope i can find something to do...
Thanks all
Old 11-23-2006, 08:08 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Are you sure you have a rubber washer thingy that goes over the pin? This helps it to stay put.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pin.jpg (3.7 KB, 69 views)
Old 11-23-2006, 08:30 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr
Are you sure you have a rubber washer thingy that goes over the pin? This helps it to stay put.
Over time those boots will disintergrate, so this is a good thing to consider.

Take the buggy bumpers off the rig, and it makes all kinds of noise.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 11-23-2006, 09:03 AM

calibers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiuludeSVX
Over time those boots will disintergrate, so this is a good thing to consider.

Take the buggy bumpers off the rig, and it makes all kinds of noise.
The boots came with the calibers..Like i said they came loaded..rubber groments ,brake pads, brackets,,and i got new hardware from subaru...The hole in the calibers seems like they are to large for he pin itself...I can only find rebuilt ones around.but still should work. If there is something that goes on the pin itself to enlarge it no one knows about it from when i ask. There is a good 1/4 in/play in the hole when the pin is in place..it likes it needs a bushing in there but never seen one on my other ones i have done..
I am lost on this one for sure.
Thanks for all the input on this. I know that all parts are there just don't fit right...WHY i don't know never had this problem on my 1992's just this 1994 everything has been put on that i can buy--but not the fix. I know they are not to be this loose on the pin.After today i am going to pull all back off.
Thanks again