Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 11-15-2006, 11:53 PM

about reverse intake manifold???

has anyone in here ever done a reverse intake manifold? cause im thinking about doing custom intake manifolds...like the yellow jun wrx...with the turbo pipe going throught the middle...hmm...if no one has done it...i want to be one of the first...lol...hopefully i get my car running by spring...and YES!!! i got my wirings done!!!!!!!loll....im soo happy...lol.....ok..enough...but yes...

dao
Old 11-16-2006, 07:42 AM
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by svx-t
has anyone in here ever done a reverse intake manifold? cause im thinking about doing custom intake manifolds...like the yellow jun wrx...with the turbo pipe going throught the middle...hmm...if no one has done it...i want to be one of the first...lol...hopefully i get my car running by spring...and YES!!! i got my wirings done!!!!!!!loll....im soo happy...lol.....ok..enough...but yes...
dao
I'm not sure that I follow your question. A "reverse intake manifold" would be an EXHAUST manifold, wouldn't it? Isn't the opposite/reverse of "intake" EXHAUST (in automotive terms)? But YES, I agree that your first priority is to get the car running. Maybe after that...........
Preston
Old 11-16-2006, 07:47 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Preston,
I think what he means is rotating the intake manifold 180 degrees so the TB will be at the front of the engine.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-16-2006, 08:06 AM

yes...basically turning the intake manifold 180 degrees...has anyone done it?
Old 11-16-2006, 08:18 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
I think the only person who can do it is LAN, try contacting him through www.ecutune.com

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:14 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svx-t
yes...basically turning the intake manifold 180 degrees...has anyone done it?

Check over at NASIOC...do a search on EG33
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-16-2006, 04:52 PM
Old Guy

Rotate the intake manifold 180 degrees. Why? Maybe I'm missing something here but if I had a car that didn't run........
Preston
Old 11-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Im pretty sure such a thing applys to turbo set ups to allow more room at the front of the engine for intercooler piping for a fmic. That way the piping goes up from the turbos and directly into the intake, rather than having to go front then all the way back again

Im not sure if the hood will close over the intake with it rotated. The engine sits at an angle leaning back, and the intake is angled leaning forward to make it more even to fit under the hood. I think if you reverse it itll be too high. See the diagram below
Im not sure if this will be the case, but i know hood clearance is minimal as it is. Just something to consider
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 11-17-2006, 04:49 AM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric

Im not sure if the hood will close over the intake with it rotated. The engine sits at an angle leaning back, and the intake is angled leaning forward to make it more even to fit under the hood. I think if you reverse it itll be too high. See the diagram below

Eric you always make the best diagrams ....what about all the vaccume lines and switches and crap. would that all have to be re-routed?

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 11-17-2006, 05:02 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Guys, you definitely need a fiberglasser that can fabricate a nice looking dimple on the SVX hood for such mods

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
I think reversing it would force the fabrication of a custom intake. Then you have to decide how. cut and adapt the stock, create new from tubing, split it and have two intakes? All questions that would need to be addressed.

Personally, I am wondering how two long runner intakes with two throttle bodies along with supercharging or twin turbo would perform.

I know our engine loves the IRIS, but with intake pressure and smooth intake tracts, I wonder how it would do?
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 11-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Own'eded

Send a message via AIM to curly2k3 Send a message via MSN to curly2k3
dao good to see you joined up, you need to call me so we can work on it some time! but yeah, to clear the water a little, this motor is NOT going in a SVX, it is for a swap into an Impreza. Dao like i said before i think it would be more than plausable but i think putting the piping to it how it will sit would be easier
Old 11-19-2006, 04:19 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Here is the closest thing I could find.

Last edited by michael; 03-14-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Parts Breaker, Tire Waster

Send a message via AIM to hexadec0079
^^^^ #1 ohhhhhhh shizzy that is hot

#2 Yeah, a hood bulge (see- GT-500 "Eleanor") is required and would look stupid, but would allow using a F-Body esque intake...

But I still don't get why'd you do it...
Green, LS with spoiler, 157,000, ES Swaybar bushings, 9005/6 mod, 2.25' Dual Exhaust, Custom Grounding, Hyperwhite fogs, LED tails, 4.44s, custom Blitz intake, tranny cooler, thats about it, for now...

1997 Chevy 1500 -FOR SALE-
5.7 liter, Z71, 300hp+, still almost 20mpg

1986 Merkur XR4Ti -SOLD-
SVO Engine, T3 hybrid turbo, K&N, custom ducting, Initial D painted, 18psi, fastest car for under $1000, ever.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:16 PM
Locker Link Solution

Someone still has a pic of that

To get the manifold to slant the right way, some impreza guy cut it into three parts, letting the head tubes remain and reversing only the middle. Not sure if it ever worked out, but good luck with whatever you do.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?