SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKoP View Post
OK, where exactly is the TCU located? I'd be willing to try this but I'm not sure of the exact location. Pix would help too
It's behind the panel that is under the sterring column, on the side toward the door, it and hte ECU are bolted together there...you can't miss them, they have a lot of wires going into them...the TCU is the smaller one...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 02-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Über Putz
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Thanks for the info Huck!

Anyway, I tried unplugging it and it made no difference. I could still hear the 'bearing" noise when I started it, had some gears for a little bit and then nothing again. I did however notice that the AT OIL TEMP light began to blink once the car had been running for a bit, so I'll guess that it is the pump that died and/or some serious blockage. I won't be able to do anything more until Monday, at which point I'm contemplating towing it to my mechanic to let him check it out.
1996 Subaru SVX LSi #143
2005 Mazda RX-8 Shinka
2003 BMW F650CS
Old 02-29-2008, 07:52 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
It sounds like a chunk of crud blocking the pickup, or a line. The pump would either work, or not.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:09 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Sounds like lack of flow but for it to be ok when you restart it, that sounds like it could be computer related. Try and wrestle a TCU away from Gest24 (he doesn't need it anymore) just to troubleshoot the problem. This is the only advice I have

Tom
Tom,

I find it interesting that we have a member who has commercially exhibited transmission knowledge and skills, but seldom coming the rescue in time of need. This being quite unlike your attitude.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-29-2008, 08:37 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Thanks for the info Huck!

Anyway, I tried unplugging it and it made no difference. I could still hear the 'bearing" noise when I started it, had some gears for a little bit and then nothing again. I did however notice that the AT OIL TEMP light began to blink once the car had been running for a bit, so I'll guess that it is the pump that died and/or some serious blockage. I won't be able to do anything more until Monday, at which point I'm contemplating towing it to my mechanic to let him check it out.
Be sure that it is not the power light which is blinking.

Check the TCU self diagnostic system for possible stored trouble codes. Refer to the how too section for instructions. A dealer with a monitor should be able to do a more comprehensive test.

There are several components which could be causing the problem, all of which will throw a code and some do not involve great expense. There could be a blockage as is suggested and this could be confined to the valve body which can be accessed without removing the transmission.

In my book your problem does not appear to have expensive overtones. Your problem and one which is very real, is to ensure an honest diagnosis, rather than one aimed at your pocket.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Über Putz

Well, as far as I know my power light burned out long before I owned the car as I've never seen it light up

I do hope it's something simple like some sort of blockage. If it ends up being more involved than I'm going to consider a manual swap (though the cost is way more than what I'm looking/ can afford to spend at the moment). I'll see what my mechanic has to say about it. I trust his skills more than mine and he's pretty honest and reliable.

Thanks to everyone for the help, I'll update as I find out more.
1996 Subaru SVX LSi #143
2005 Mazda RX-8 Shinka
2003 BMW F650CS
Old 02-29-2008, 11:48 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Well, as far as I know my power light burned out long before I owned the car as I've never seen it light up

I do hope it's something simple like some sort of blockage. If it ends up being more involved than I'm going to consider a manual swap (though the cost is way more than what I'm looking/ can afford to spend at the moment). I'll see what my mechanic has to say about it. I trust his skills more than mine and he's pretty honest and reliable.

If the power light is not operating you could well have a code registered. If you could read the code you could know the exact fault. A mechanic should/must work on the same basis. Stuffing around is Mickey Mouse stuff.

Fix the light and read a code or go to someone who has a select monitor. Do not trust a hap hazard opinion not based on fact. Real money is at stake.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Tom,

I find it interesting that we have a member who has commercially exhibited transmission knowledge and skills, but seldom coming the rescue in time of need. This being quite unlike your attitude.
That was two years ago Trevor

Tom
Old 03-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:

The OBDII SVXi don't have Power mode... When your ATF temp light flashes, it is indicating that you have a transmission fault stored in the TCU. Go to www.svx-iw.com and search for how to pull TCU codes... Start there and get back to us

Tom
Old 03-01-2008, 12:09 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Quote:

Tom
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 03-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Über Putz

Quote:
The OBDII SVXi don't have Power mode... When your ATF temp light flashes, it is indicating that you have a transmission fault stored in the TCU. Go to www.svx-iw.com and search for how to pull TCU codes... Start there and get back to us

Tom

I checked the site and it refers to the POWER light. Did the ATF light take over that function for diagnosis in 96+ models? I won't have a chance to pull the codes until Monday morning, but I'll let you know what I find.
1996 Subaru SVX LSi #143
2005 Mazda RX-8 Shinka
2003 BMW F650CS
Old 03-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
I checked the site and it refers to the POWER light. Did the ATF light take over that function for diagnosis in 96+ models? I won't have a chance to pull the codes until Monday morning, but I'll let you know what I find.
Yes, the ATF temp light took over that function along the line of diagnosis... Follow the procedure outlined and just substitute the power light for the ATF light. Right now it may seem that you will have a solenoid A failure, but thats just a guess

Tom
Old 03-01-2008, 02:44 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:

Tom
Tom, be sure that I am referring to the present and the rebuild on offer.

P.S. Not in any way applicable to you, and pointing out a contrast in attitudes in your favour.

Last edited by Trevor; 03-01-2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:46 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx View Post

Old 03-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Über Putz

OK, so I pulled the codes this morning. For "Existing" problems I only pulled code 25. For "Previous" problems I pulled 11, 12, 13, 24, 25, 33. I've been able to reference all of the codes except 25, but a little searching leads me to think it's something to do with the connection between the ECU & TCU (please correct me if I'm wrong). Hope this bit of info helps some.
1996 Subaru SVX LSi #143
2005 Mazda RX-8 Shinka
2003 BMW F650CS