How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2002, 09:12 PM

I wish I bought a prelude :(

I know I've been asking alot of quesitons recently, but just curios. What's with the tire noise? This has got to be one of the noisiest cars I have ever driven. It's really annoying abd makes the driving experience really unpleasent. I don't think it's the wheel barings since it changes with road texture. I have road hugger 225 55s on. But I had the same problem with my bald tires.
Thanks dave

Last edited by DavieGravy; 03-12-2002 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-10-2002, 09:48 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: I wish I bought a prelude :(

Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy
I know I've been asking alot of quesitons recently, but just curios. What's with the tire noise? This has got to be one of the noisiest cars I have ever driven. It's really annoying abd makes the driving experience really unpleasent. I don't think it's the wheel barings since it changes with road texture. I have road hugger 225 55s on. But I had the same problem with my bald tires.
Thanks dave
might be your bearings. or change your tires to something else. Mine sounds a lot better after a tire upgrade.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-11-2002, 06:02 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
I've not heard of road huggers so I don't know how noisey they are. but I think the SVX is one of the most quiet cars I have had. With the stock Michilins on my SVX when I bought it in 1994, it was as quiet as my 94 Cadillac Sedan de Ville that was brand new.

I currently have Dunlop A008 if my memory is functioning and they are not as quiet as the OEM Michilins.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 03-11-2002, 08:33 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

Quite a lot has been discussed on this subject. It seems the SVX is *very* sensitive to tire type/brand/model.

My SVX has always been extremely quiet. In fact it's the quietest car I've ever owned. I've always had Bridgestone RE(whatever's) on it. It's getting near time for a re-tire. It'll get the same thing again.

I have some experience with an SVX with Dunlops (I don't know which model tire), and it was one of the noisiest cars I've ever experienced.

Since it's awfully hard (expensive) to change your mind after installing a brand new set of tires, you might want to search some in this forum, or Y@h00, and get as many recommendations as you can find.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 03-11-2002, 08:40 AM
Green1995SVX

I have Dunlop SP A2's... they're moderatly noisy, but thats expected from a mud/snow rated tire. I recommend them for winter use.

-Mike
Old 03-11-2002, 08:46 AM
Green1995SVX

PS - preludes are nice cars, but they're no SVX... that comparison was just so... uncalled for!

-Mike
Old 03-11-2002, 09:03 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
PS - preludes are nice cars, but they're no SVX... that comparison was just so... uncalled for!

-Mike
I'll have to agree. Uncalled for. Yes, the SVX is the quietest car I've ever owned. I'm running Goodyear Eagle RS-A's right now. They're noisy on concrete, quiet on asphalt. But, they're only noisy with the window down. They're too darned expensive, so, don't buy them. Seems the concensus for quiet tires are the Yokohama AVS Db's, but they're getting harder to come by for some reason. Toyo Proxes is another tire some swear by, but, I have no experience with them. The tires I had on to begin with were very quiet and rode very well. They were the Bridgestone RE-910's, but they're only T-Rated. If you don't plan on hitting high speeds, they're good tires.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-11-2002, 09:23 AM
Is it Summer yet?

I had Yokohama A520's on when I got the car and it sounded like a Truck. I tolerated it till one tire was destroyed by picking up some nails.
After quite a bit of research I decided on Dunlop SP Sport 5000's (compromise of dry, wet and snow performance and road noise. The noise difference was amazing. I've been very happy with them.
06 Chevy Malibu 71K
13 Outback 0K
Old 03-11-2002, 09:33 AM
Network Design Administrator

I use Firestone (I know) SZ50s... and they are quiet, great in wet dry and snow conditions... but are also very expensive.
Old 03-11-2002, 10:20 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I don't want to upset you but Road Buggers are probably the cheapest tire you'll find in this size. They'll get you down the road better than a flat tire and that's about their limit. Figure on spending around $400+ for anything worth owning.

Beav
Old 03-11-2002, 10:30 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Preludes IMHO are underpowered and overrated cars. The only ones I would considered getting again (notice the word "again") are the 4WS preludes-- but those are old. Those are just FUN to drive. They are not that comfy in the car. I used to get so much back problems with the prelude and camaros. Just be happy you have the SVX.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-11-2002, 10:35 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Well this post got me thinking about Honda'. About 7 years ago I was looking for a car and the 95 Civic was on my list. However when I found out that a Tachometer was not standard and not available as an option on the 5 speed I dropped it from the list. Honda is good company right? Then I found out that the whole wheel assembly has to come off to get the brake rotor off Honda is a good company. Right?
Old 03-11-2002, 10:40 AM
Not as old as Randy

Some of the Accords requuire removing the hub and bearing ass'y. to remove the rotor, I don't recall this being an issue on Civics.

I don't think Hondas are worse than any other cars. They all have their foibles, some more than others. What bugs me is when the 'foibles' continue on forever in the same models. Why won't they redesign the problem areas? Hmmmm......can you spell "parts department'?

Beav
Old 03-11-2002, 11:10 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

We've been shopping for a new Wagon, and thought that Honda might fit the bill. According to their web site, they no longer have wagons (why should they, if they can get you to buy a crummy SUV?) and it's just as well.

Any optional equipment also comes with an 'installation charge', something I'd never heard of before. The cars aren't all that well configured, and if you want to upgrade, you not only pay for the upgrade, but installation. I configured a Civic with just a few necessities, and was looking at nearly 22 grand! ($686.00 labor!)
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 03-11-2002, 04:00 PM
Not as old as Randy

Yeah, but I do like their mini-van. Not just on appearance, etc., but just that it seems to do what a mini-van should do better than the others.

Beav