Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-18-2005, 06:44 PM

Hey guys, while I am waiting for Mike to lend me his front crank angle sensor, I can't get my mind off of the car and I keep on thinking whether that will finally fix my car, and if I did the timing belt right, and so on. I can't give it a rest, I keep on worrying about it...

I therefore have a new question for you. As I mentioned in my previous post, the starter will crank and the belts turn around, but it won't start and we have diagnosed a Long-Short-Short-Short code from the ECU, which means bad front angle sensor. If the CAS is bad, the car will never run because no spark will be sent, right? Therefore the engine will not make the usual noise it makes when you try to turn it on, am I correct?

I am asking this because I installed my timing belt following religiously all the instructions, torquing everything to spec and so on, yet the engine makes a strange sound, it doesn't make the same sound as when it's turning normally and I am attributing this to the lack of spark, could that be possible? The sound is slightly higher pitched than a regular SVX engine cranking, and it seems to turn slightly faster than usual.

Please let me know what you think about this. I have loosened one of the timing covers fearing the worst and the timing belt is still tightly wrapped around the cam gear.

Thank you,

Walter
1999 Ducati 748S (built 996 engine)
Old 05-19-2005, 05:34 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Did you remove any ground wires or battery wires during your fixing? They have to be connected correctly or it will not go.

It would be a good time to check the items Beav listed earlier air, fuel, spark.

I think your crank angle sensor code is from when the T-belt broke and has nothing to do with the work you did.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Did you remove any ground wires or battery wires during your fixing?
Actually I didn't.

Quote:
It would be a good time to check the items Beav listed earlier air, fuel, spark.
Good point. I would love to be able to check compression too, I have this bad feeling that the valves may be bent...

Quote:
I think your crank angle sensor code is from when the T-belt broke and has nothing to do with the work you did.
I hope so.

Thanks for the input, keep them coming guys.

I will keep you informed on the progress...

Walter
Old 05-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppiede

Good point. I would love to be able to check compression too, I have this bad feeling that the valves may be bent...

Walter
I highly doubt you bent a valve as our motors are non-interference(spelling?). Simply unplug the battery for an hour and try it again. I am still trying to iugre it out....are you sure you aligned the belt on all 3 sprockets right?

Tom
Old 05-19-2005, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
I highly doubt you bent a valve as our motors are non-interference
Yeah, I know they are non-interference (thank God). But the sound it makes and the fast rev speed makes it sound like there's no compression, or perhaps as I was hoping it's just caused by no spark due to the sensor failure...

Quote:
Simply unplug the battery for an hour and try it again.
Great idea, I will try that today.

Quote:
....are you sure you aligned the belt on all 3 sprockets right?
Yeah man, look at the pics, I did everything religiously by the book (or by the tutorial, better).

Walter
Old 05-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Best case scenario - change the CAS.

Worst case scenario - check the compression on each cylinder.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:26 PM

::Update::

Allright guys, here's some more news.

It turns out there was a big misunderstanding over the phone between me and Mike, and error code 13 from the ECU was not the crank sensor (that's code 11). It turned out being a bad cam angle sensor with good reading from crank angle sensor 1 (thank you Earthworm for the great resources on your site btw).

So now I wasted a week... Tom, have you sent me the crank angle sensor yet? If you didn't, before you drop the box in the mail please trow in the cam angle sensor too if you don't need it and PM me for the deal details please, because now I'm starting to become insane for real.

I removed and cleaned my old cam angle sensor just in case, with no luck. For the record I had to remove the battery for a good 15-20 minutes while I was removing and cleaning it, so the ECU was probably reset. To start from fresh, I had the stupid idea of clearing the codes by sticking both blue wires in pin #1 and #2 of the diagnostic plug and turn the key to position 2 for about a minute. During that minute I would hear a clicking noise every second or so from the inside and the radiator fans would start and increase in speed at intervals. I tried starting the car again with no luck. I checked for codes and now the Check Engine light will blink every 3-4 times every second.

I am still confused, what should I do next while I wait for a cam sensor?

Thanks for the support guys.

Walter

Last edited by Treppiede; 05-21-2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:27 PM
Maniac modifier

i sent out the crank angle sensor but monday i will send the cam angle.... I can promise u that the cam angle sensor will work. Expect it sometime next week.

Tom
Old 05-21-2005, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
i sent out the crank angle sensor but monday i will send the cam angle....
Thanks a lot Tom. You have a PM.

Walter
Old 05-23-2005, 01:22 PM
Maniac modifier

I sent the cam-angle sensor out today(monday). As I was taking the walk to the post-office it dawn on me that I had the same problem when I was swapping motors for Ciscokid into my 94l that I was selling him. I finished everything up and added fluids and then went to start the car. It seemed to catch for a minute but then proceeded to fail. It did makethe starnge sound that you are refering to and I was terrified that I had done the timing belt wrong(he had to leave by 12 and it was 11:30). Long story short i pulled the codes and it read cam angle sensor. since the wiring was fayed on the new motor i cut the harness and swapped the old one in to no avail. I continued to pull the side sensor(drivers side rear of timing cover) and replace it with the sensor from the old motor. After I was done it fired right up and had no problems. I was afraid to tell you i did not have that sensor for you but after a quick trip to Subaruparts.com I came to realize that the cam sensor on the oil pump and the cam sensor on the side of the timing cover are one in the same. So when you go to replace this sensor pull the one on the side of the timing cover and take it off the mounting bracket. Put the new sensor I sent you on the old bracket and hook it all back up. It should fire right up on ya. If that doesn't work then take the sensor you took off and swap that one with the sensor on the top of the oil pump. It will be the one on the right hand side. If that doesn't work....im stumped. Good luck and if you are feeling froggy you can send you gratitude to my paypal account but you do not need to if u don't want.(donations are always more fun)

Tom(sensored member )
Old 05-23-2005, 07:30 PM

:: Finished!? ::

Guys,
it seems like the nightmare is over. Yesterday Mike lent me a Cam Angle Sensor from his other engine and I went to try it on mine. The engine would just turn but wouldn't start. I did notice some slight vibration, I could feel she was trying to start so I tapped the gas just a little and she fired up!!! At the beginning the idle was a little rough, but as it was warming up I guess the ECU was adjusting itself because the engine became much smoother.

I then pulled Mike's sensor out, I put mine back in and it worked!!! I guess all she needed was a cleaner sensor and a little gas tapping while cranking because she has been sitting for over a month!

I've been driving the car ever since and she's really smooth, rides great. I hope she holds up. Tom, thanks for sending the sensor, I guess I will hold on to it just in case. I will PayPal you as soon as I sell my next item on eBay.

Thanks everybody for the help, I will keep you updated.

Walter

PS= it's good to have her back!
Old 05-24-2005, 09:55 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I'll bet it was a loose connection to the sensor and the engine was flooded from all the cranking.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
I'll bet it was a loose connection to the sensor and the engine was flooded from all the cranking.
I doubt it David, the connections were solid and it turned on only when I tapped the gas, remember that I before even knowing it was the timing belt I had checked the fuel pump by disconnecting the fuel lines to and from the fuel filter, so I assume I just had air in the system...

Oh well...

Walter