Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-03-2002, 04:18 AM
amuse

Unhappy Climate Control Weirdness!

Howdy,

Just today the climate control system in my 94 SVX seems to doing funny stuff.

It keeps beeping (the sound it makes when you press the buttons normally) all by itself and alternating between the outside temp and the inside temp (on the round display).

It gets really annoying after a while. I've tried turning the system on/off several times and eventually it stops misbehavin'...

What's with this? Is it common? Bad news? I remember the Subaru mechanic warning me that the climate control system is major $$$ to fix when it breaks down in an SVX

TIA,
Pete
http://www.mp3.com/petealec
Old 01-03-2002, 05:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Oh &%^&^%&^

Hey Pete.

I hope that that is not what Jun had problems with. I searched my email and could not find the self-test that I thought I sent to you - there is some manner of a diagnostic that brings up the fault codes for the aircon - I will try and find it for you.

Good luck!

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 01-03-2002, 10:36 AM
sith

What happens if you press the "outside temp" button while its doing that? Does it behave as normal or not respond at all? Maybe the contact there is just a little corroded?
Old 01-03-2002, 02:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to paddlesnz
Re: Climate Control Weirdness!

Quote:
Originally posted by amuse
Howdy,

It keeps beeping (the sound it makes when you press the buttons normally) all by itself and alternating between the outside temp and the inside temp (on the round display).

It gets really annoying after a while. I've tried turning the system on/off several times and eventually it stops misbehavin'...

What's with this? Is it common? Bad news? I remember the Subaru mechanic warning me that the climate control system is major $$$ to fix when it breaks down in an SVX

TIA,
Pete
I currently have the same problem on my SVX and it is a very common problem on the JDM models. The only solution I know of is to replace the whole A/C control unit, which is big $$. Luckily I have picked up a used unit off a Japanese auction site, so I am going to see how that works out.

paddlesnz
JAPAN
Old 01-03-2002, 04:41 PM
svxeno

Re: Climate Control Weirdness!

Quote:
Howdy,

TIA,
Pete

I may be over simplifying it but, what is the chance that the Outside Temp button is going bad. "Thinks" it's being pushed.

Randy ii (No spell check reekwired)
Old 01-03-2002, 08:36 PM
amuse

Thanks

... guys for your responses, luckliy the problem did not resurface today and I took the car for a 2 hour drive.

I must say it has been the hottest weather here in about 70 years this week (also very humid) so perhaps it's just the weather playing havoc with some of the sensors.

When I press the temp button while it's happening, it brings up the outside temp but doesn't stay flashing long enough as per usual.

Anyway, fingers crossed that it was just a one-off

The air con at least works fine even when it was happening.

Cheers,
Pete
Old 01-03-2002, 11:18 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Another thought: perhaps the load sensor (on the dash, next to the windshield) is causing the thing to whack out. May be reading "overload" or something. Make sure it isn't dirty or covered with a piece of paper. There is an "elaborate" self diagnosis procedure that I plan on scanning from the manual one of these days, but, it is several pages -- I've ben lazy, sorry.

Meanwhile, I hope the fires are not near you. I've been concerned for you guys there in OZ (James, Harvey, you, etc.). Stay safe.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-04-2002, 09:56 AM
craigk

reset

I've had serious problems with mine also. It was just freaking out. I thought I was going to have to replace the entire unit. I went to the dealer and read up on how to diagnose the climate control system. It turns out there is a reset sequence for the climate control computer. Mine has behave fine since then. I have the pages copied from the dealership manual sitting at home in my manual if you can't find it. It involves holding a couple of the keys down while power it up. Let me know if you need it.
craigk@ricardo-us.com
Old 04-06-2003, 03:48 AM
amuse

bounced email

I tried to take Craigk 's offer up (albeit a year later) but unfortunately his email address bounced...

Can anyone else help?

Hi Craig,

About a year ago you responded to my question at the SVX forum regarding air conditioning weirdness. You mentioned you had the procedure for resetting the airt conditioning which may solve my problems. Since I'm still experiecing these symptons of the system beeping and switching between outside and inside temperature, and self forcing it to count down to the lowest setting (18 c), I'd love to know what you did!

Thanks,
Pete.
Old 04-06-2003, 02:39 PM
Boone

Hmm... have a look at the climate control info in my locker.

(Resetting the climate control unit is done by holding down the "off" and "Def" buttons
while turning the ignition on. )

Last edited by Boone; 04-06-2003 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:09 PM
amuse

Thanks Boone

I have an Australian model, what would tghe corresponding buttons be? Ours have a different climate control interface I think?

Thanks
Old 04-06-2003, 04:17 PM
Boone

I would think it would be the same... You'll just have to look at the .pdf file. B.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:25 PM
amuse

Def

Ok, I did check that out - great info - but I'm pretty sure (yet to check) that I don't have a Def button (defrost?).

Thanks for your responses.

CHeers,
Pete.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:59 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Def

Quote:
Ok, I did check that out - great info - but I'm pretty sure (yet to check) that I don't have a Def button (defrost?).

Thanks for your responses.

CHeers,
Pete.
I will check the sequence out in the book and get back to you Pete.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:07 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Hi Pete

Sorry to hear that the gremlins are still in there....I have a length of 4 x 2 that I keep in the car....if that transmission begins to play up or the climate control malfunctions, I will make Basil Fawlty beating his Metro with a stick seem like a walk in the park!

C'mere you, I'll learn ya to overheat!

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!