How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-25-2003, 05:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
The first time that I test drove the SVX was a used 95-or 96 SVX sitting on the dealer's lot. We had just bought a '96 Legacy Outbackwagon. We were always a 2 car family and always had a 'big' car and a 'sporty' car. Now we had a wagon. When I drove the SVX, it reminded me of my '84 Supra and I "Got the Feeling" as Dan Gurney used to say in the ads.

When we got back to the dealership both Rosie and I knew we wanted an SVX. We looked at the brochure, picked the burgundy (ok-Bordeaux Pearl) color and instructed the salesman to hunt for a new one through the Subaru dealer network. It took about a month but they found one in MD. That's how we found SUBYDOO. Neither Rosie or I have ever regretted the decision to get an SVX . That's the short version of the first SVX.

After seeing Aredub's car at Reading I, I knew that I wanted a pearlie. I also knew that I wanted a '94 as opposed to a '92. I searched unsucessfully for a '94 pearly for a long time. I looked at many. None of them "sang to me or pulled at my heart strings. " When went to Welsh Subaru and saw the '92 I instantly knew that I wanted this SVX. It "sang to me...and still does." That is how I got SVXY

A year after buying SVXY, I was thumbing thru the Phila. Inquirer newspaper auto ads and noticed a '94 SVX for sale. I called Jim (the owner) and was surprised twhen he told me it was a pearly, so Iwent to see and drive the car. This SVX was almost perfect, but I wasn't turned on by it. For some reason Rosie kept bugging me about it so we both went to see Jim and drive his SVX again. Rosie went 'Ga Ga" over this car and she had to have it. It "sang to her." She was my biggest stumbling block in my negotiations with Jim. Jim had to sell th eSVX because he wanted to keep his Chrysler-Maserati. That car was also in wibeautiful condition. So that's how we got PEARLY, and why it is Rosie's.

That's the story of our three SVXes.

PS: I only need 3 more to have one of every model year and I like the blue, the silver and the '93 red.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 06-25-2003, 07:30 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Great stories guys, keep em coming!

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-25-2003, 10:03 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
My Story.. (long)

I was striking out with the chicks... I'd pick them up in my 87 Subaru GL, which was in pretty good shape. It had good paint, no body damage and ran well with 190,000 miles on it. It just wasn't the car that I felt comfortable going on dates with... so I wasn't dating...

One day I was driving home and a Jeep cut me off. I mean this guy cut in front of me so hard that I thought that we kissed bumpers! So being the calm, quiet person that you all know and love, I jammed on the gas and squealed around him and cut him off... Well our road rage was escalating and at one light we pull up side by side. He was on the right side of the car and motioned for me to roll down the window. The 87 did not have power windows, so I had to reach across the passenger side and roll the window down. The Jeep guy said very simply and with out much anger, " your car is a piece of ****."

Now, I've really never worried too much about the appearance of my car, but between not having had a date for over a year and this guy's matter of fact statement, I got to thinking about my situation. That day I went home and got on the Internet to look for a car that, number one I could afford and number 2, looked good.

I opened ebay up and did a search on Subaru's. The 87 was the 4th in a long line of Subari that had proven their reliability and ease of maintenance. A Pearl SVX stood out. It looked just like the one that my best friend drove. He is a Stockbroker (Financial Adviser is what he likes to be called) that always had a good looking girl in the car with him... SVX!!! That was the answer!! Good looking Subaru that attracted women!! So I bid 3500.

"Reserve not met." I had never bought anything on ebay before. So I bid again. 4000... "Reserve not met.”...
"Wait just a minute here... How much does he want for this thing?" I thought. So I looked at a few other sites and found prices from 2500 to 12,000. I had 5500 to spend. That was it that's as high as I could go... I thought for sure that I'd have to settle for a station wagon, but I bid one more time. 5000. "Reserve met." I was smiling! only 1 hour to go on the auction and I would have my car!

I got back to work after setting my outlook alarm to go off about 5 minutes before the end of the auction. I got buried in work and almost forgot about the auction until the screen started flashing at me. I switched back to ebay, and to my horror I saw that I had been outbid. By 50 bucks, and there was less than a minute to go! Some a$$hole was going to get my car! I pounded the keyboard to get the bid to 5100. I pressed the bid key and prayed (yes, Randy I guess you're right there are no atheists in foxholes!). When the screen changed I was the winner. 5100 bucks for a car that I really knew nothing about.

It was in a little town in Oregon and I was in Santa Clara, Calif. I emailed the guy to acknowledged the purchase and he asked me when I could pick up the car... I hadn't even thought about that. THE TRAIN!! I could take a couple of days off and take a nice calming train trip up to Bend Oregon and pick up my new car!

The owner would come and pick me up at the “train” station. As the train did not really stop at the little town, they had a bus that took passengers the last 70 miles. I thought, Great! A nice train ride and then a bus ride through the mountains.

This is getting kind of long so… I’ll stop here as I’ve got some work to do.
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 06-25-2003, 10:44 AM
Recluse

Send a message via MSN to Darksied-X Send a message via Yahoo to Darksied-X
I just posted my first SVX expirience three days ago. So, if your interested, check out the "Say Hi to the New Guy" thread.

As for Mitch's auction expirience, man I know just how you felt. We got outbid on our first house last year by $43! My wife bawled for two weeks straight. Then, when she finally stopped, we got a call saying the outbidders credit feel through, and we had the house.

'03 WRX Wagon, World Rally Blue
'94 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red
'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
(and legally, an '01 Outback VDC skankmobile)
Old 06-27-2003, 11:09 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Re: My Story.. (long)

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi
I was striking out with the chicks... I'd pick them up in my 87 Subaru GL, which was in pretty good shape. It had good paint, no body damage and ran well with 190,000 miles on it. It just wasn't the car that I felt comfortable going on dates with... so I wasn't dating...

One day I was driving home and a Jeep cut me off. I mean this guy cut in front of me so hard that I thought that we kissed bumpers! So being the calm, quiet person that you all know and love, I jammed on the gas and squealed around him and cut him off... Well our road rage was escalating and at one light we pull up side by side. He was on the right side of the car and motioned for me to roll down the window. The 87 did not have power windows, so I had to reach across the passenger side and roll the window down. The Jeep guy said very simply and with out much anger, " your car is a piece of ****."

Now, I've really never worried too much about the appearance of my car, but between not having had a date for over a year and this guy's matter of fact statement, I got to thinking about my situation. That day I went home and got on the Internet to look for a car that, number one I could afford and number 2, looked good.

I opened ebay up and did a search on Subaru's. The 87 was the 4th in a long line of Subari that had proven their reliability and ease of maintenance. A Pearl SVX stood out. It looked just like the one that my best friend drove. He is a Stockbroker (Financial Adviser is what he likes to be called) that always had a good looking girl in the car with him... SVX!!! That was the answer!! Good looking Subaru that attracted women!! So I bid 3500.

"Reserve not met." I had never bought anything on ebay before. So I bid again. 4000... "Reserve not met.”...
"Wait just a minute here... How much does he want for this thing?" I thought. So I looked at a few other sites and found prices from 2500 to 12,000. I had 5500 to spend. That was it that's as high as I could go... I thought for sure that I'd have to settle for a station wagon, but I bid one more time. 5000. "Reserve met." I was smiling! only 1 hour to go on the auction and I would have my car!

I got back to work after setting my outlook alarm to go off about 5 minutes before the end of the auction. I got buried in work and almost forgot about the auction until the screen started flashing at me. I switched back to ebay, and to my horror I saw that I had been outbid. By 50 bucks, and there was less than a minute to go! Some a$$hole was going to get my car! I pounded the keyboard to get the bid to 5100. I pressed the bid key and prayed (yes, Randy I guess you're right there are no atheists in foxholes!). When the screen changed I was the winner. 5100 bucks for a car that I really knew nothing about.

It was in a little town in Oregon and I was in Santa Clara, Calif. I emailed the guy to acknowledged the purchase and he asked me when I could pick up the car... I hadn't even thought about that. THE TRAIN!! I could take a couple of days off and take a nice calming train trip up to Bend Oregon and pick up my new car!

The owner would come and pick me up at the “train” station. As the train did not really stop at the little town, they had a bus that took passengers the last 70 miles. I thought, Great! A nice train ride and then a bus ride through the mountains.

This is getting kind of long so… I’ll stop here as I’ve got some work to do.
OK.. where was I (Istill think this thread belongs in the General Babble area)?

Ok I was going to catch a train (I'm still leading up to my first driving experience in a SVX). I took off early from work after purchasing tickets over the internet for the train ride... I was on an adventure!! I had called the owner and he assured me that the car was in great shape and would make the 500 mile drive with no problems.

The train ride was going to be about an 18 hour trip. And I would be arriving at the bus station (remember the train didn't stop at this little town) at about 1pm the next day. I was having a blast. I hadn't had too much time off of work since I had started working for this new company, and I hadn't taken a train ride for over 10 years. So I took a taxi to the San Jose train station. And started waiting for the train at about 5pm... train is supposed to leave at 5:45pm ... At 8:45 They say there is going to be a little wait because the a Freight Train had missed a switch and had to back up about 4 miles to make the right turn. I guess it took this train 4 miles to come to a stop... (wonder if they warped any rotors...?) At about 10:30pm the train arrived. I got on found an empty seat and got comfortable. I wanted to sleep so that in the morning I could watch the world (or at least Northern California) go by!!

Kind of like now... I thought I could get further into this story tonight but ... I'm having trouble keeping my eyes open... so... I'll leave off here and carry on with the third installment soon...

Night all
Old 06-27-2003, 11:49 PM
Green1995SVX

There. It's moved. Are you happy now?
Old 06-28-2003, 09:14 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Talking

<grin> Well, those who've seen my website already know the story, but let's tell it again anyway.

The first time I SAW an SVX up-close-and-personal was at a Subaru dealer in Oklahoma City. It was a blue 96 model (this was at the end of 1995 and I was actually doing the paperwork to buy my first car in the USA; a 1992 Subaru Loyale). Anyway, the car had deep tinted windows and as I looked over the balcony into the dealership I just loved it! Since we were at a point in the paperwork where we weren't needed (the dreaded waiting game), I decided that I should go down and take a look-see. Man, was that a NICE car. I looked at the sticker and cringed; I earned less in a year at that point than that car cost... but I knew I was smitten!

Okay, flash forward a couple of years and find myself in St. Louis. At the time I still own that Loyale, and a very reliable Pontiac Grand Am that's fast approaching 100,000 miles. Great car, never had a days bother with it in the time I'd owned it... but I'd changed into a consulting job so I needed something I could spend a lot of time in. The GA was OK, but something in my gut told me something was wrong with it, or was about to go wrong. One weekend I had been at the office working, and as I drove back down Manchester I decided to pull into Dick Dean Subaru for a look-see. As I parked I was attacked by salespeople, as usual... but I made it clear to them that I wanted time ON MY OWN to look around. They actually did leave me alone, but it didn't take long before I saw a really nice green '95 SVX sitting in the corner of the lot.

I wandered up to the car and looked around it... looked in it... looked around it again... looked in it again... I think I drooled on the window too... you get the gist

Anyway, one of the salespeople saw me and wandered over. His first words were, "Striking, isn't it?" You know, I don't like pushy salespeople, but I think those words were the ones I wanted to hear. As I nodded silently, he smiled and said, "Want to take it for a test drive?"

I don't remember ever asking what price they were asking... I just knew this was the car I wanted. OF COURSE I WANTED A BLOODY TEST DRIVE!!

We both got in once he'd retrieved the keys, and I just melted into that cloth upholstery. Now, I have to say that I loved the leather in my second SVX as well, but the cloth was probably my favorite of the two. It seemed to just invite me to sit, and in the entire time I owned the car was never either too hot or too cold... problems I've always found with leather. It was also surprisingly easy to keep clean.

I digress. I put the keys in the ignition and turned. A few beeps later and my senses are suddenly almost in-tune with the vehicle. I can feel the engine running smoothly way more than I can hear it. In fact, I can't really hear the engine running at all. I look around the cockpit at the myriad buttons and switches, but despite the number of buttons I find the whole thing VERY intuitive. I wish the guys who designed this dash also designed computer operating system GUI's... make computers a whole hell of a lot simpler! I push the AUTO button for the climate control and suddenly I can hear the engine... though it's still sort of at the edge of hearing. The black disc has sprung to life, and I set the temperature at a comfortable 70 degrees (over time that went down to 68... but I digress again). The engine's still not loud at all... in fact this car at idle is quieter than just about anything I've ever been in before.

So I pull up to Manchester road, being easy with the car. As we sit waiting for a break in traffic, the sales guy in the passenger seat is talking to me about how he wouldn't mind buying this car himself, but given his wife just had their third child he didn't feel it was practical. Then I see it... a break in the constant stream of traffic that's ALWAYS flowing down Manchester... and I goose the gas.

I don't really recall if I hollered as the POWER light lit up on the dash... I do remember the sales guy stopped talking for a minute. Even with the drizzle on the road that had been falling all morning, the car gripped the road with incredible tenacity. So much so that I unexpectedly caught up with another car way quicker than I had anticipated, forcing me to tap the brakes. I also suspect the "SVX Grin" had invaded my features, because I noted a slight smile on the sales guys face. He knew he had me.

I don't remember that much about the rest of the test drive... I know we reached a couple of... ahem... illegal speeds, but by the time we returned to the dealership, I do remember telling him "I really would like this car... but..." His face fell. I remember smiling softly and continuing, "... I need to talk to my wife... she doesn't even know I'm car shopping today." I saw the relief on his face... hey, it was late in the month and he probably was below quota. I've been in sales... I understand.

Two days later, I returned (this was the Monday afternoon)... I had taken the afternoon off work to buy the car, my wife had basically said "Whatever you want... go for it". I drove the car once more, with the same sales guy (hey, it's only fair!) and then returned to make a deal.

I do remember the negotiations well... they still make me laugh a little. (this was with the finance guy, not the salesman) He told me what they were willing to give me on my Grand Am... I just told him to continue. He told me his price, I told him what I was willing to pay. He asked me where I'd gotten that figure, and I whipped out my printout from Edmunds. He seemed to relax and gave his spiel about "Edmunds always low-balls their numbers... real-world numbers are always higher." I got a smile across my face that I don't think he liked very much as I whipped out an Edmunds printout of my Grand Am and said, "Oh good, then you can give me more for my trade!" The number he'd quoted me for my Grand Am was EXACTLY the Edmunds estimate. At first he looked sheepish, then he laughed a little and said, "Okay, let's negotiate." I ended up about 3 points above wholesale, which we both felt was fair. I know wholesale has some slack built into it, but I still wanted the sales guy to make something from this deal!

So I left the lot with a 95 SVX, and the rest is history. Well, not quite... there is a little followup that bears to be posted here:

Three weeks later I lost a tire on the SVX driving on 40. I came off on Clarkson and changed a tire in the rain... not my favorite experience. I took the car to a tire store right across the road from Dick Dean, and while they worked on it (I had just bought four new tires because the car needed them anyway), I wandered over to Dick Dean to look around the lot. The same sales guy recognized me and walked right up asking me how the SVX was working out. I laughed a little, told him about the busted tire but that otherwise I loved the car. He laughed out loud also and said, "Hey, you know that Grand Am you traded in? About a week ago I was out test-driving the car with a potential customer, we came up to a set of lights. He had been loving the car up until that point, but then when the light turned green he pushed the gas and the engine just revved. The transmission had failed completely."

I'll never know if that car died because of something I'd done or not done... or if it had been because of Dick Dean's habit of flushing and filling the transmission of traded vehicles (make the fluid smell nice, but sometimes can exacerbate problems)... but it looks like my gut feeling about the car had been right.

In the next chapter... my '94 pearlie...
Old 06-28-2003, 09:53 AM
Member #447

Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
There. It's moved. Are you happy now?

Uncamitzi doing the " Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy dance"....
Old 06-28-2003, 11:10 AM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally posted by thumper_svx

I don't really recall if I hollered as the POWER light lit up on the dash... I do remember the sales guy stopped talking for a minute. Even with the drizzle on the road that had been falling all morning, the car gripped the road with incredible tenacity. So much so that I unexpectedly caught up with another car way quicker than I had anticipated, forcing me to tap the brakes. I also suspect the "SVX Grin" had invaded my features
<GRINNING>

That's what stands out in my memory from my first test drive. I took it out on the interstate, just floored it. With the windows up, everything was relatively quiet. Very smooth, serene. Glance down at the speedo - 100 and steadily climbing

That pretty much set the hook....

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 06-28-2003, 01:09 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

I love this thread.

And it's right where it belongs.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 06-29-2003, 04:01 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Thumbs up

This thread, with all the great stories, reminds me of how the chat on this network USED to be.....back before the flamethrowers and asbestos underwear.

Keep it going folks!

Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 06-29-2003, 10:17 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
This thread, with all the great stories, reminds me of how the chat on this network USED to be.....back before the flamethrowers and asbestos underwear.

Keep it going folks!

Don

OK, but only because you requested it, Don.

The year is '91 (I think). I never buy new cars, but went to the Baltimore auto show to see what I should be looking at in 10 years.
I see the Subaru display. Cute "mud cars". Then there's this really strange looking space ship. It says "Subaru". It says 30K on the sticker. I say, "You be kiddin'", & go look at the Honda display.

I give no more thought to this car until....oh, '97? I spot a "white" one (forgive me) parked while walking with my wife into a Baltimore suburban supermarket. I say to my wife, "Ya' know, I think this is the thing I saw at the auto show ages ago." "I remember those funny windows." Hmmm... Thirty K - Jeez.

Later, I pick up a car mag & read an article - "SVX - Classic or not?"
I'm getting interested.

I see TWO SVXes for sale by owner on the same supermarket lot in my neighborhood. I call one. "Sorry, Sold it this morning" "Uh....how much"? "We let it go for 8K." Huh? That's twenty-two THOUSAND bucks less than what that sticker said only about 7 years ago.

Now I'm REALLY interested.

One weekend I spot a teal one turning into a local sporting goods store. I give chase with trusty Mopar. I follow the driver into the store. "Excuse me, sir, but how do you like that there SVX"?
"LOVE IT" It's had tranny problems, but it's fixed now & I still -LOVE IT!" Thank 'ya, Thank 'ya very much", I babble.

By now, I'm all over the internet. I visit Joe Spitz. I visit Joeaux.
I visit Yahoo, Yahoo Classifieds, Autotrader, local classifieds, Edmunds, Blue book etc. Prices are all over the board. This makes no sense.

I decide to wait & spend no more than 7 thou, meaning I'll buy a '92 - SOMEDAY. This will break my, "Never spend more than 3K for wheels" rule, but I decide I want this strange beast - SOMEDAY.

It's the year 2000. My thoughts about an SVX and just about everything else are pushed elsewhere. My wife's three year battle with cancer is over on Thanksgiving day. I've been numb for most of the summer & into the fall. After the holiday season I try to return to "normal", whatever that word now means.

I find solice in "keeping busy" with work & persuing forgotten interests. One of which.....

I find an ad in the local newspaper for a white...I mean Pearl '92.
I make an appointment to go eyeball it. I call back just to be sure it's still there. "So sorry, but a guy just pulled out his checkbook & I couldn't resist."

The next weekend I see an ad, "Black (forgive them) '92, Loaded, 76K, excellent cond. 7K. I call. I make appointment. It's snowing & miserable. I know all about typical SVX maladies by now, so let's see.

I meet "Dad" & "Kid" (the driver) at a Mickey D's. He's about 20 something. Had it about a year. Bought a new Mitso. Yes, Tranny was replaced about a year ago, new axels & a few other goodies. "Kid" goes in back seat. "Dad" to my right. I take it out to Rt 70 & floor it. I'm sold.

The car has no noticable problems. It's full of road salt, & has a ding & scratch or two, but hard to see in the slop of winter.

I offer 6.5 K - final offer. I tell them I felt a tranny flare & I'm a bit nervous. Dad & son retreat to confer about my offer. They come back & go for it. I whip out 65 one hundred dollar bills.

Everybody drools.

Two & a half years later, I still drool. I wish Helga were still here to enjoy the beast. She was a car person.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.

Last edited by Ron Mummert; 06-29-2003 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:07 AM
Sue isn't really striped

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
asbestos underwear

I don't remember any asbestos undies!
Old 07-03-2003, 07:02 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Alycone

I don't remember any asbestos undies!
Get burned?