Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts Wanted > SVX Parts Wanted

Old 01-06-2010, 02:18 PM

WTB Dropping Resistor

So here's the deal... I've been having issues with my 4.44 tranny ever since day 1, and I recently took it to a tranny shop and we discussed the possibility of electrical problems. I called my local Subaru dealership and they told me that the SVX and the Legacy dropping resistors are different... only trouble is, they can't order the part unless they have the VIN from the donor car. To simplify things, I thought I'd just ask if anyone has a dropping resistor from a pre - 9/97 legacy that I could buy and see what difference it makes? If not, I'm going to have to go junkyard hunting.

Thanks,
Isaiah
Old 01-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: WTB Dropping Resistor

http://www.svxfiles.com/custom.html#resistor Go here!
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 01-06-2010, 07:03 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by processengr View Post
The advertisement states:-

Custom Dropping Resistor Mod
The Solenoid A (dropping) resistor controls the line pressure in the transmission.* By adjusting the resistance, we can "firm up" your shifts.* NOTE:* Core charge applies.

The actual and proper function of the resistor is as Follows:-

THE SVX DROPPING RESISTOR CIRCUIT.

It will be apparent that the sudden on off pulse width modulated duty to which solenoid valve “A” is subject, tends to cause what could be called a hammering of the valve seat, even though this is largely reduced/damped by the controlled fluid flow.

The dropping resistor circuit introduces a second series of current pulses, applied in parallel with the control signal. These pulses are applied across the off cycles, so as to check the travel of the armature as it reaches the closed position, thus reducing both shock and noise. These secondary parallel signals in effect, mean that during the closing period the voltage does not fall completely to zero, so as to reduce a closing shock.

This second series of pulses must be at a lower level than the control signal, hence the dropping resistor. A resistor with a high current rating is required, which could not be mounted within the TCU enclosure.

It will be appreciated that increasing the resistance in the circuit, or opening the circuit by omitting the dropping resistor, has two outcomes. Firstly the voltage during the closed time becomes zero, thus increasing the line pressure and making shifts more abrupt. Secondly, as an undesirable issue, shock loads applied to the valve are increased.

The SVX resistor should measure between 9 and 15 ohms to be within specifications, and is usually very close to 12 ohms.

N.B. Some time ago a member posted a very good set of instructions covering the repair of the resistor module, but I can not find this within the how too section. You may be lucky with a search.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Radio Shack FTW!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 01-08-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaiahEyre View Post
So here's the deal... I've been having issues with my 4.44 tranny ever since day 1, and I recently took it to a tranny shop and we discussed the possibility of electrical problems. I called my local Subaru dealership and they told me that the SVX and the Legacy dropping resistors are different... only trouble is, they can't order the part unless they have the VIN from the donor car. To simplify things, I thought I'd just ask if anyone has a dropping resistor from a pre - 9/97 legacy that I could buy and see what difference it makes? If not, I'm going to have to go junkyard hunting.

Thanks,
Isaiah
HI,
I may have one from a '91 or '93 Legacy, if it'll work, and I'm 'just up the road' in CDA.

I've been looking @ getting that 'custom resistor' but if they're different between the SVX and Legacy I may wait for your results.

Let me know if you're interested.

thanks,
TD

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: