SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-19-2002, 12:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mattski

I would respectfully disagree with this comment if the driver is of above average height. At 6'1", I drive with the seat in its rearmost position, leaving hardly any leg room behind me. When driving with the whole family, my 12 year old sits behind me but I have to move my seat up a couple of inches. He is comfortable and so am I, but that position is not ideal for me.
Dead on, Matt. I should have mentioned that. I'm the same height and to put somebody behind me I also have to slide the seat a couple inches forward.

And, yes, I agree that the back seat can be a chore to enter and exit for some people.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-19-2002, 12:58 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Seat

I would agree and disagree with both Matt and Mr. Pockets on the seat thing. Yes it is tight back there but when I got my car (broken ankle and all) managed to squeeze my 6'1" frame back there. I had more room than in a friends accord coupe and the headroom kicked the but of every other coupe I've ever sat in the back in. Although touching my head isn't auditioning for a V-8 commercial. You can't expect sedan room in a coupe. It just isn't there. As for using it as a double date vehicle. I'm just amazed that you are able to convince two people to climb back there at the same time.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Seat

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
As for using it as a double date vehicle. I'm just amazed that you are able to convince two people to climb back there at the same time.
What I failed to mention was that it was either my SVX or his Mustang. :P

Also, since we were going somewhere that required good visibility from the back seats, the SVX won in that category, too.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-19-2002, 01:06 PM

svx vs outback

As part of Carter Subaru's "Hassle-free" loan car program, I had the use of the H-6 3.0 212hp Outback for a day, the last time I had a car in for service. There was just enough of the H-6 3.3 230hp feeling to remind me of my LSi. While it does not have the road handling, the aesthetic appeal or the snap of my LSi, it struck me as the best compromise Subaru has to offer between the polar opposites of the SVX and the Outback. Now, for the same money as the H-6 Outback, I might actually go over and look carefully at the Audi A4 Avant…..
Old 09-19-2002, 01:25 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: svx vs outback

Quote:
Originally posted by seasvx
While it does not have the road handling, the aesthetic appeal or the snap of my LSi, it struck me as the best compromise Subaru has to offer between the polar opposites of the SVX and the Outback. Now, for the same money as the H-6 Outback, I might actually go over and look carefully at the Audi A4 Avant…..
You have to drive the outback VDC. Damn it, I should be doing the commercial for the VDC.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:•2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-19-2002, 01:33 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob

Yes the L did come with ABS. It wasn't standard but I think at least in 95 it was standard with AWD. I'd have to check my lit. though to be sure if it was a seperate option or coupled with AWD.

As for a vehicle being able to take skiing and onto the beach. The dif. between a legacy gt and Outback is neg. Maybe an inch and 5 degrees of approach/departure angles. Besides, unless your talking 18+ inches of snow the difference between any of these subarus is small if you take into account tire choice. I work at Ski Roundtop in the winters (for the free skiing of course) and have never had a problem in my svx. Looks is subjective, I wouldn't want you to not get what you want but I would recommend finding a GT for a test drive. Dog wise, the SVX probably isn't the best choice as you'll be cleaning all kinds of slobber of your leather or synth. depending on the model. Plus leather and dogs tend not to go well together.

There is a Red 94 FWD SVX L at a dealer in York, PA. I think they want $7995 for it but I'm sure you can get it for about $6k, its been there for quite some time now.
In 95 it was called the "Active Safety Package" this included ABS and AWD.

Also, I feel that the L steering feels 'tighter' at lower speeds. I like it better.

Mike
Old 09-27-2002, 11:48 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

In 95 it was called the "Active Safety Package" this included ABS and AWD.

Also, I feel that the L steering feels 'tighter' at lower speeds. I like it better.

Mike
I agree with Mike. I also like the feel of my 95 L AWD (w/ABS) at low speeds. Not too much boost like most cars. On the other hand, my girlfriend finds the steering takes too much effort at low speeds. So, unless you are a light weight, I don't think the steering in the L will be an issue.

Headroom is very tight in the back seat. Anyone over 6' will probably become very familiar with the roof. If you need more headroom in front, get the L model (no sunroof). I had to. Couldn't fit my lanky frame comfortably into a sunroof equipped model.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 09-28-2002, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
All the cool stuff. L does not have a sunroof so if it is a must, you should be looking at the LSi. As for preformance, L does not have ABS so it will behave like a car without one.
It's interesting you'd say that. I have a 92 LSL with both a sun roof, AWD and ABS. Where you taling about a specific year?

Last edited by DavieGravy; 09-28-2002 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:00 PM

What? You don't want to admit you're wrong?. That's what I thought.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:52 PM
Porter

So is the difference just the PS pump between the different types?

I have a 94 LSi and it's a bit overboosted for me... I have to change the PS pump anyway and if I can change to less boost by going with the other type of pump I'll do that.

Does anybody know?
Old 09-30-2002, 10:29 PM

Lwin, I'm just pulling your leg by the way.
I've noticed that the steering on the LSL is a little tight compared to other sports cars I've driven, although I've never driven an SVX Lsi so I don't know if there's a difference there.