Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-21-2008, 10:27 PM

Car wont start, need help ASAP.

I was driving around the neighborhood this afternoon. I stopped at a stop sign and the car died. It will crank all day, but wont refire. I searched and found a thread where something similar happened when the guy pulled into a parking lot. Turned out it was a cam or crank sensor, i will have to check again. His had no codes show, and mine is the same. How would you go about diagnosing the cam or crank sensor, short of replacing them?
Old 07-21-2008, 10:49 PM

Re: Car wont start, need help ASAP.

I'd actually first check the fuel pump ground, next check the fuel pump, if it cranks and won't fire it just could be the fact its not getting spark.

Then again you said it died while driving so it could be your timing belt.

Remember, a car needs four things to start:
1. Air
2. Fuel
3. Spark
4. Compression

You can also find a compression tester at Walmart I believe for like $20 bucks, so its worth it to pick up for a variety of reasons.

Or I could be completely wrong, and misread your post(I just kind of skimmed it to be honest) but I figure I'd give ya some useful tools to help figure out your situation.

Best of luck!
Old 07-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Winona is my yang.

I vote for timing belt.

pull the timing covers (or at least one. no need to buy a compression tester to check a belt.)
Old 07-21-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiru View Post
I vote for timing belt.

pull the timing covers (or at least one. no need to buy a compression tester to check a belt.)
Definitely true. However, having a compression tester is a valuable tool to have. =)
Old 07-22-2008, 11:05 PM

Well while I crank the motor with the fuel line disconnected, no fuel comes out. So I assume the fuel pump has crapped out or is not getting power. The SBF2 fuse (under the hood) was blown, I read this may affect the fuel pump working. Advance auto parts doesnt carry a replacement. I will go by the dealer in the morning. Can anyone tell me for sure if this is the fuel pump fuse?
Old 07-23-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theallpowerful View Post
Well while I crank the motor with the fuel line disconnected, no fuel comes out. So I assume the fuel pump has crapped out or is not getting power. The SBF2 fuse (under the hood) was blown, I read this may affect the fuel pump working. Advance auto parts doesnt carry a replacement. I will go by the dealer in the morning. Can anyone tell me for sure if this is the fuel pump fuse?

I hope its the fuel pump cuz then I was right first try. lol although I can't tell you what that fuse is for sure... you are driving a SVX right? If so if you have a Napa or Bumper to Bumper near by both those places carry all parts for my SVX that I could ever want. It's neat, and also cheaper than a Subaru dealer.

Honestly, my gut thinks that I was right as it was the first thing I thought of, and since you're not getting fuel from the line and your specific fuse thats supposed to be helping the pump I'd say therein lies your problem.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by togan07 View Post
I hope its the fuel pump cuz then I was right first try. lol although I can't tell you what that fuse is for sure... you are driving a SVX right? If so if you have a Napa or Bumper to Bumper near by both those places carry all parts for my SVX that I could ever want. It's neat, and also cheaper than a Subaru dealer.

Honestly, my gut thinks that I was right as it was the first thing I thought of, and since you're not getting fuel from the line and your specific fuse thats supposed to be helping the pump I'd say therein lies your problem.
The car in question is an SVX, yes.

Also, I checked the tbelt and it is intact. I will swing by NAPA before I go to the dealer.

The next question is, why did the fuse blow? I absolutely suck at tracking down a short. Not to mention I dont know what, specifically, the SBF2 fuse controls.

Last edited by theallpowerful; 07-23-2008 at 07:34 AM.