Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 08:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Faulty Engine Hoist?

Ok so i bought an engine hoist from Harbor Freight (2 ton, non folding) and it is bending at the cross joint (for those who are familiar with it). I am actually lifting both the transmission and the engine because one of the six bolts connecting the transmission to the engine was completely stripped and the head of the bolt came off.

I am learning the hard way that to get both the engine and transmission out while still attached will require me to remove the ps rack and the K frame (frame that the engine rests on).

I guess what i am asking is, has anyone else experienced this sort of problem with an engine hoist? And would one bolt prevent the transmission from dislodging from the engine?
Old 07-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
This one?

How far out do you have the hoist boom extended? Fully extended you only have 1000 lbs capacity. I don't think an engine and trans together weight a full 1000 lbs, but probably close enough. Maybe there's a defect in the hoist you got?

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 07-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
If the head of the bolt came completely off, then you should be able to separate them. Also, I think there are only 4 bolts and the two pins that hold them together, are you sure you have the right ones removed?

They don't like to come apart easily. Especially on Northern cars it's probably worse.

It will probably take some prying, PB Blaster, and various swear words, especially if it is the first time they have been separated. I recall having to use a chisel to get them to start separating by tapping it inbetween them carefully on the top side, and putting a long bar on some part of the frame and on the transmission on the bottom side to pry it apart on the bottom.

As far as the hoist, ^^what he said, the rating is when it is all the way in and drops off the farther out it is extended. Is it bending permanently, or just flexing? I'd think a little flexing would be normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001
Ok so i bought an engine hoist from Harbor Freight (2 ton, non folding) and it is bending at the cross joint (for those who are familiar with it). I am actually lifting both the transmission and the engine because one of the six bolts connecting the transmission to the engine was completely stripped and the head of the bolt came off.

I am learning the hard way that to get both the engine and transmission out while still attached will require me to remove the ps rack and the K frame (frame that the engine rests on).

I guess what i am asking is, has anyone else experienced this sort of problem with an engine hoist? And would one bolt prevent the transmission from dislodging from the engine?

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 07-08-2007, 07:51 AM

thanks for the reponses guys, and no its not just flexing it is clearly bending. Very frustrating, i've been working on this car for the past 6 months trying to get the engine out and to be delayed due to the hoist is very frustrating! I am going to call harbor freight tomorrow and see where i can go from there, if i can't get a new one (this is the first time i've used it) i'll just see about renting one.

Steve, thanks for the advice on prying it apart, i was hesitant to start chiseling at it, but if need be! Also yeah there are 6 bolts/nuts, two up top, two on the side and 2 on the bottom. Luckily i had an extra transmission lying around to see where the bolt holes were...
Old 07-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Try the one from Pep Boys. Its cheaper than the HF one. Don't call, go to the store and demand your money back with the manager. Since I can lift an SVX engine on my own I know you're not over 750 with ever accesory known to man on it. Definately wise to get 'em apart though as Stevesby said.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:19 PM

it must be a defect my buddy has used a hf hoist for v8s and no problems just go back to the store get your money back or get an exchange!
Old 07-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
There are only 4 bolts. Are you sure you're not trying to seperate the trans from the front diff??

There is the one on the drivers side that holds the top of the starter. And a similar one on the top of the passenger side.

On either side at the bottom, directly below both of the top bolts are nuts that fasten to studs that can stay in the engine, but sometimes will come out with the nut.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:03 PM

As for the bolts, I think we may be having a terminology miscommunication, because you are right there are 4 bolts (2 top 2 bottom) and then there are two in the middle, they seem to be connected to the engine block, i just removed the two nuts and tried to separate the engine from the transmission from these points...

Also I began thinking about it more, and i think it may be user error as for the engine hoist. The harbor freight one i had, I didn't put the two support rods on, would this cause it to bend considerably? Also i was lifting the engine from the side....As i was lifting the engine, the base of the hoist actually began to tilt with the one wheel base coming off the ground!
Old 07-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
There are only 2 bolts and 2 nuts...not 4 bolts and 2 nuts connecting the engine to the transmission.

And one of those bolts comes out with the starter.

There are also 4 nuts on the torque converter which you access through a hole in the top passenger side of the engine which is covered by a black plastic/rubber plate. You should remove the throttle body to get clear access to the hole/torque converter bolts.

There are also 2 nuts connecting the motor mounts to the subframe which you must remove.

Unbolt the hood struts so the hood can be fully opened and tie it to the ceiling. If you can't tie it up you have to remove it.

Your vapor canister and radiator should be removed and some sturdy cardboard should be slipped between your power steering cooler and the evaporator to protect the evaporator. Obviously disconnect the hoses and wiring harnesses to the engine.

After all of the above connect your hoist to the engine and place a floor jack under the front differential. Jack up the front of the transmission so that the motor mount bolts clear the subframe. Start lifting the engine with the hoist and it will pull right forward. It has to come forward about 4 inches so that the studs clear the transmission--then up and out.

(just doing my bit to help....unsubscribing now)
Old 07-09-2007, 06:26 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
At some point I remember someone posting about tapping the holes and using bolts in place of the alignment pins in the center. Maybe that's why you have 6 when everyone else has 4???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001
Also I began thinking about it more, and i think it may be user error as for the engine hoist. The harbor freight one i had, I didn't put the two support rods on, would this cause it to bend considerably?
Yeah
Old 07-09-2007, 03:12 PM

You definitely should not be lifting it from the side either. I don't mean to be harsh, but you need someone who knows cars to help you or you're going to break something. I've never encountered a car I couldn't get the engine out in less than 2 hours. If its taking you 6 months and you're breaking an engine hoist, you need to get some help.