Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-19-2007, 08:26 PM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t
Tachometer being interesting?

Already discussed this with OT... but was wondering if this has happened to anyone else... today I noticed that when I go above 3.5-4k RPM my Tachometer begins to jump around... like it doesn't go up smoothly but instead it looks like it sticks to something and jerks up or down... the engine runs normally.

I will be taking it apart this weekend. I also have a spare one... so I am not worried but still we both thought it is fairly weird and uncommon.

-Sov
Old 06-19-2007, 08:46 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
My guess would be the drive gear for the speed sensor is about to fall off its axle. What ever holds it in place is gone or loose and it grabs randomly.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 06-19-2007, 08:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t
Hmm... would have to check it... One is in the trans axle case, the other is in the torque converter case... which one should I prioritize? However, I think it is easier to remove and install a different cluster since I already have one spare... to make sure its just not the cluster itself...

Any other ideas though?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:56 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael
My guess would be the drive gear for the speed sensor is about to fall off its axle. What ever holds it in place is gone or loose and it grabs randomly.
Not a good guess as no drive gear or axle involved. The tacho in itself is probably the likely culprit. Hair spring, pointer bearing, obstruction within the movement. Alternatively there could be a faulty connection in the operating circuit.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Yeah, the tach is controlled by the ECU. If there was an issue there, the car would run funky. I'd bet your problem is in the cluster itself.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:46 PM

Great, will check it out and report back.... perhaps will just install a new one and forget about it... planning on installing HIDs this weekend
Old 06-20-2007, 04:51 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
My apologies, Trevor and Hocrest are correct. I should have read your post better, I thought you were refering to your speedometer.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 06-20-2007, 06:08 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael
My apologies, Trevor and Hocrest are correct. I should have read your post better, I thought you were refering to your speedometer.
Michael,

It was easy to fall into this trap as the speedometer fault has so often been discussed. Not a problem, particularly as your thoughtful apology enhances the thread, makes the/my day and is sincerely appreciated.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!