How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-06-2007, 02:14 PM

Bunch of questions

Hi,
I'm finally biting the bullet and going to get my first SVX. Not the first SVX I've driven, because as an automotive writer, I got to drive new ones in '92, '93 and '95. Couldn't afford them then. I've found one in Southern California, only about 100 miles from where I live, and am planning to see it next week. I've been following the forums, so I know SOME of what to look for, but I don't want to buy a money pit. I loved the SVX new as a grand tourer, and that's what I will use it for, as a supplement to my '91 Alfa Romeo 164 and '93 Mercury Capri.
The car I'm looking at is a white '92 with 150,000 miles on it. The transmission has just been replaced, as has the radiator. In the photos, it looks clean and straight, of course no rust, but inexplicably, the hood badge is missing. I'm buying it from the second owner.
I'd appreciate all the help anyone can give me. I still remember heading to the SEMA show in '93, coming over the top of Mountain Pass and heading down towards StateLine at a smooth, easy 110, rock steady and Beethoven pouring from the stereo. And a couple of years ago, I met Fabrizio Gugiaro at Concorso Italiano, and he said that of all the cars he designed, the one he actually drove was the SVX! Finally, I can think about adding one to my garage.
Thanks, P.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Quote:
And a couple of years ago, I met Fabrizio Gugiaro at Concorso Italiano, and he said that of all the cars he designed, the one he actually drove was the SVX!
now THAT is cool!

Tranny and radiator were replaced already...those are the two biggest failures. When you test drive it, listen for the rear wheel bearings. Sometimes they go bad again and again and again, other times they never go at all. If th car does had bad wheel bearings, consider finding a used set of rear hubs that haven't needed the bearings replaced yet, as the hub itself can get chewed up from the previous bearing failures, causing problems with the new ones. Also see if they have any kind of service records or reciepts, that can be a big plus
Um...some really little stuff to look for.. Saggy sunvisors, sunroof may need a push to get it started opening..Center console button sometimes dissaperes, as do the doorsill plates. see if all the buttons that are supposed to light up do (The sunroof arrow buttons, the word security on the security button, and a few others dont) And most inportantly, make sure the wheels arent on backwards..otherwise earl will have a field day with any pictures you may post up
Anyhow, good luck with the purchace, hope you enjoy the drive as much as you did the first time
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 06-06-2007, 02:59 PM

The plastic part of my hood ornament took flight without warning on a city street; I don't think it's that unusual for them to go missing. A new one costs about $35 or so on subaruparts.com.

With only 150,000 miles and a new tranny you ought to be good to go, unless it's been flogged to death. Hope it works out for you.

dcb
Old 06-06-2007, 06:10 PM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX
Paul I see you even have a car book out. Congratulations and welcome to the group. My front ornament was missing but so too were the holes that the ornament attaches to. Obviously a new hood. If there are no holes you can bet that the car's been banged. Despite that, I love my car and just put on a JDM ornament..
Go for it
all stock and likely staying that way for now
1981 Datsun 280zxturbo summer toy