Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-30-2007, 04:01 PM

battery/ alt wires question

I'm looking to add addtl grounding and pos cables to my 92 svx. Two questions re: addtl positive wire from batt pos to alt positive
1. Should there be a fuse between the batt pos and the alt pos?
2. whats the best way to add the addtl wire at the alt pos? Do you break off the plastic cap that's holding the origianal batt wire to give room for a second wire?

Thanks for any ideas.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcsvx
I'm looking to add addtl grounding and pos cables to my 92 svx. Two questions re: addtl positive wire from batt pos to alt positive
1. Should there be a fuse between the batt pos and the alt pos?
2. whats the best way to add the addtl wire at the alt pos? Do you break off the plastic cap that's holding the origianal batt wire to give room for a second wire?

Thanks for any ideas.
Why are you looking to do this? Enter 'alternator mod' into Search and see if it answers your questions.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 05-30-2007, 06:33 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxxx26
Why are you looking to do this? Enter 'alternator mod' into Search and see if it answers your questions.
I agree just why are you are you doing this? Think and check/test before you leap.

You appear to be awake to what IS required as you refer to fitting a fuse. This is a required safety item, in spite of what you will find in the "How Too," stuff under Alternator Upgrade, which it most certainly is not.

Please before you do anything, refer to my locker for exact and correct information on the subject.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-31-2007, 06:24 PM

I want to get brighter headlights and to see if my car will idle more smoothly (idles a bit low with brake and headlight load).

I've scrubbed the headlights to get the lenses clearer, but they still seem less bright then my 1989 toyota.

After reading Trevor's info re: adding a pos wire to alternator and bypassing the OEM safety procedures, i'll skip that step. Is is worth hooking up addtl neg cables from batt to chassis and batt to engine/a/c condensor (per the "How To")?

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:51 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcsvx
I want to get brighter headlights and to see if my car will idle more smoothly (idles a bit low with brake and headlight load).

I've scrubbed the headlights to get the lenses clearer, but they still seem less bright then my 1989 toyota.

After reading Trevor's info re: adding a pos wire to alternator and bypassing the OEM safety procedures, i'll skip that step. Is is worth hooking up addtl neg cables from batt to chassis and batt to engine/a/c condensor (per the "How To")?

Thanks for the input.
No. Check my locker again and read about voltage drop, so that you can check if in fact you do have bad ground connections, or alternatively voltage drop somewhere else.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!