Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-09-2002, 09:58 AM
BRSTYLESVX

Exclamation about to buy 92 SVX.. what should i watch out for?

I am about to buy a 92 SVX with 115,XXX miles on it.. what should i watch out for? the car looks pretty nice.. it's a good condition.. at least the exterior.. what are key things i should check.. you know.. things that are prone to be about to break at 115k miles.. i heard wheel bearings and tranny are two things to watch out for.. as in early models the bearing were badly assembled and tranny heats up too much and may also be in a bad situation.. anything else i should watch out for in the car? and have checked before signing my check? BTW... does $4500 sound like a good price for a 92 with 115K miles.. its the book value.. and the mofo won't lower the price! should i go for it at that price? thank you for your feedback!

Pedro
Old 06-09-2002, 07:56 PM
TapperManor

Re: about to buy 92 SVX.. what should i watch out for?

Quote:
Originally posted by BRSTYLESVX
I am about to buy a 92 SVX with 115,XXX miles on it.. what should i watch out for? the car looks pretty nice.. it's a good condition.. at least the exterior.. what are key things i should check.. you know.. things that are prone to be about to break at 115k miles.. i heard wheel bearings and tranny are two things to watch out for.. as in early models the bearing were badly assembled and tranny heats up too much and may also be in a bad situation.. anything else i should watch out for in the car? and have checked before signing my check? BTW... does $4500 sound like a good price for a 92 with 115K miles.. its the book value.. and the mofo won't lower the price! should i go for it at that price? thank you for your feedback!

Pedro
Hi Pedro,

$4500 isn't a bad price. I paid $3400 for mine, a couple of months ago and have since put about $1200 into it.
As far as what to look for, you pretty much said it. Drive the car being very watchful on how it shifts. Look for a hesitation or flare between 2nd and 3rd. That is the first signs of a tired tranny. I'm not saying don't buy the car if this exist, maybe you can get some $$$ off the price. Bearings are obvious. Do the brakes feel OK?

Good Luck.

Ken

PS
I looked at three SVXs in the boston area this past January. I ended up going to Lond Island for mine.
Old 06-09-2002, 09:31 PM
gcookaustin

Re: Re: about to buy 92 SVX.. what should i watch out for?

Quote:
Originally posted by TapperManor

Hi Pedro,

$4500 isn't a bad price. I paid $3400 for mine, a couple of months ago and have since put about $1200 into it.
As far as what to look for, you pretty much said it. Drive the car being very watchful on how it shifts. Look for a hesitation or flare between 2nd and 3rd. That is the first signs of a tired tranny. I'm not saying don't buy the car if this exist, maybe you can get some $$$ off the price. Bearings are obvious. Do the brakes feel OK?
I paid $4125 for mine with 81000 miles. Since I have replaced the CV joints (needed that when I bought). About the trans, just make sure it feels solid and does'nt take more than 1 second (no exaggeration) and no flare to shift. 2-3 will normally be the longest. Bad tranny flare happens under harder acceleration, if you get a flare under very light acceleration only then it is a bad TPS ($100+ part but much less expensive and easy to replace. If you don't want to replace, just don't accelerate so lightly )

Things I've come across:
clunking sound/feeling = CV joints
Transmission lines may leak, if the filter recall was not done. You will note a black cylindrical canister in front of the driver's tire on the bottom of the car if it was done, and a hose coming into it from the radiator. I don't think it's a big deal if no canister, it's just that I don't have it and the hoses were redesigned in the recall and mine leak a little bit. Check the steering rack for fluid on it, if there is some on the driver's side then it may just be those hoses which are cheap.
Old 06-10-2002, 07:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
i have a 92 silver svx i paid 5,500 for it and had 77,000 miles on it, but i had to replace the right rear wheel bearign and main engine front seal total investment 600.00 i think like every one said check brakes tranny and wheel bearings,, and oil leaks it will have some, just make shure its not leaking like a faucet
Old 06-10-2002, 11:24 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Check the brake rotor thickness, check the rear strut mounts as these tend to rust away, some cars are starting to rust in the rear wheels to fender. CV joints can be checked by turning aLLLLL the way left and right and tapping on the accelerator from a stand still, any snap pop crack and they are bad. Rock the steering wheel back and forth with engine off, there should be no looseness, tie rods. Put it on a lift and make sure the AWD is working. There should be power to the rear wheels. Stomp on the brakes hard from about 55, there should be no pluse in the peddle. Get someone to run a CarFax. Put in the FWD drive fuse the light should come on the dash. The resistor by the battery should be connected. Check the exhaust and see if it is rusting away. The heat shields should not be corroded at the edges. The tranny fluid should be red not brown. Look under the dash on the driver side and see if the wiring looks original going into the TCU and ECU.

Don't forget the tranny and engine stuff up above and if your in the love with the looks of the car beware because most of us were also when we bought it and overlooked a few problems on purpose.