Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-27-2006, 09:03 AM

Torque Converter

1992 svx, what speed does the converter lock up? I have one sometimes it is from 45 to 60 and it takes a long time for it to do that,, I know about the temp of 150 or so, I was told it was the TCU or the B solinoid. to the converter it self.
if it is who has these parts without going to subaru dealer. I would like to buy these for spare parts anyway if someone has them... My othes lock up about 35 to 45 when warm up..but they are FWD---- are the FWD Trans the same except for the rear clutches for AWD
Thanks Art
Old 11-27-2006, 11:17 AM

Not sure speed matters; it's gotta be fully warmed and in 4th gear. Takes mine 10 miles or so in most weather.

dcb
Old 12-01-2006, 04:01 PM

Torque converter

I know temp has to do with the conveter to lock up 150 degrees or so..what tells the conveter that the temp is that and to lock up? Is there a temp sensor in the trans to tell the tcu it is hot enough to lock up.. is it heat and mph combine to lock one up....
Just courious about this....
Thanks Art
Old 12-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ4U2
I know temp has to do with the conveter to lock up 150 degrees or so..what tells the conveter that the temp is that and to lock up? Is there a temp sensor in the trans to tell the tcu it is hot enough to lock up.. is it heat and mph combine to lock one up....
Just courious about this....
Thanks Art
Yes, the transmission has an internal temperature sensor which reports to the TCU. If the temperature is at least 150°F, speed is at least 45MPH and as long as you're not accelerating that much the TC will lock up.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Lock-up

I get the temp and speed combination but is there a way to fool it into locking up sooner? My daily commute is 17 miles, all highway, and now that the temp has dropped the TC never locks. Its killing my MPG.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:47 PM

Lock up converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Yes, the transmission has an internal temperature sensor which reports to the TCU. If the temperature is at least 150°F, speed is at least 45MPH and as long as you're not accelerating that much the TC will lock up.
Thanks, That is the answer i was thinking but was not sure how all went. I have to drive a long distance before it will lock up and about 45 to 55 mph before it happens.. I am learning about these vehicles all the time..