Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-24-2002, 11:37 AM

climate control unit question

Been troubleshooting my A/C unit - here's what I've found...

Turn on system and jumper the compressor (at the relay or directly) and system blows cold air - so, no mechanical problems or lack of freon (it's converted to 134)

Turn interior temperature switch up and it lowers RPM and changes over to blow hot air so heat and thermostat portion of climate control works - doors change over properly, etc. Even the outside temp is correctly displayed when pressed.

System will just not turn on the A/C compressor - tried moving up and down the temp dial, etc.

A/C relay is functioning properly by my multimeter tests with voltage applied appropriately.

Hypothesis: I think one of the relay posts should be at ground and one at battery level when A/C is switched on.

Problem, both poles 85 and 86 (standard relay schematic numbering) are at battery level whenever the engine is running.

Question: Does a correctly functioning climate unit send ground to relay position 85 when the A/C is supposed to be on, and hold the line high when the A/C is supposed to be off? Or ?????

tia
Old 03-24-2002, 02:08 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
It could be one of several things. There are sensors for evap, hi, low and intermediate pressure, refrigerant temp and the TPS, A/C Control Unit or ECU can affect the circuit (WOT cut-out.) It appears that the controller switches ground on and off to control the relay which then sends a positive 12v to the clutch field.

Check my locker for wiring diagrams. Remember, just because it feels cold when you jump the clutch doesn't necessarily mean there's enough freon to close the pressure switch.

Beav
Old 03-24-2002, 02:27 PM

thanks

thank you, the diagrams will be a great help.
Old 03-24-2002, 02:38 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
No problem. Glad to help.

Now that my job here is done I think I'll head back to my secret hideout (Hooter's) while my g/f is at her mothers....

Beav