Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 07-19-2005, 08:08 PM

93 300zx airflow meter

I found a few early 90s j30 which have the same engine as the z and got two meters for 40 bucks,also the guy has a 93 m45,is that the car that the injectors are a direct bolt on.Last question would I be doing any harm by bolting on my new meter before I software in about 3weeks tight budget.I feel that I will get a little hp.Oh I'll will post how many airflow meters I can buy up around here in NC,nissans are a highly wrecked car around here.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:29 AM
KCROGUEDOG

im very interested in this hope some reponses pop up. i was looking into the zxs maf and so was chike. but there was some ecu problem im not sure exactly why or what. the zx maf has to have a higher rpm range than the svxs that tops out at 5300ish or so. this would allow peak proformance and the use of every rpm we have till the red. or so
Old 07-20-2005, 09:25 AM

I really wouldnt bolt up the z32 MAF until you have the software to run it, because that MAF will give your engine false readings for the amount of air coming in. It should tell your engine that you have around half the amount of air coming in that you acculey have. Which will make your car add less fuel advance the timing and will probley have detonation which could kill your engine.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:35 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredx2
I found a few early 90s j30 which have the same engine as the z and got two meters for 40 bucks,also the guy has a 93 m45,is that the car that the injectors are a direct bolt on.Last question would I be doing any harm by bolting on my new meter before I software in about 3weeks tight budget.I feel that I will get a little hp.Oh I'll will post how many airflow meters I can buy up around here in NC,nissans are a highly wrecked car around here.

Is it even the same type of sensor??

i'm not familiar with the nissan hardware, however, there are a few ways of reading airflow, most of which don't use even close to the same "process"

I'd say you need to figure out what airflow = what reading, and then how to translate that into the SVX ECU such that you are getting the right air/fuel ratio.

You really seem to jump into things and most the time you're lucky. however, when dealing with airflow sensors, I'd suggest you figure out what all you need to do before you just bolt it on.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 07-20-2005, 01:02 PM
KCROGUEDOG

or find a way to make ours read at the higher rpms.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:32 PM

Well from what I've read,by just bolting on the meter without the software will cause a slightly rich a/f ratio but otherwise than that.I truly don't think our computers are dumb enough that by just putting on the wrong airflow meter the engine will blowup.People sell little resistors that trick the ecu wtih a false airflow signal,but having a better meter is the real thing.Don't worry its going on saturday for testing,unless longassname can clear this up,but I don't really see no harm but a little gain in hp because of the extra airflow should cause the ecu to dump equal amounts of fuel.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:35 PM

Also my a/f ratio meters keeps me posted,I stopped depending on luck years ago.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:12 PM

My test is complete,with the 300z meter my a/f ratio meters went full rich when I TURN THE KEY TO THE start position,I tried start the car and it just turn and turn,after reinstalling the stock meter I heard a loud backfire and my wife saw two big fireballs exit my pipes and the car ran fine,so please purchase the software.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:22 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredx2
My test is complete,with the 300z meter my a/f ratio meters went full rich when I TURN THE KEY TO THE start position,I tried start the car and it just turn and turn,after reinstalling the stock meter I heard a loud backfire and my wife saw two big fireballs exit my pipes and the car ran fine,so please purchase the software.
Is it the same type of sensor??? like does it read airflow the same as our does? cause if not, maybe its wired up so that our ecu is getting full 5 volts or wahtever all the time, at which the ecu is dumping full fuel on startup in.

do you have any info on how it reads airflow?

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 07-21-2005, 05:59 PM

This is the meter you need when you purchase the stage2v3 from ecutune or you can get the meter from them.I have my own so that will save me a few hundred dollars.I'm sure after I get the software I see a nice bump in hp.