Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2002, 04:28 PM
svxeno

Shifting irregularities

I aquired this car about a month ago. Aside from incredible paranoia about the tranny all seems to be going ok.

I have, however, noticed something that is beginning to concern me. It seems that when the car is shifting from 2 - 3 the car decellerates during the shift. I have had the tranny flushed and the external filter replaced in the last 1.5 weeks. The only difference I've noticed is that the shift from 1 - 2 doesn't "jolt" any longer. If I really put my foot in it I take off like a rocket. If I accelerate gradually I get the symptom that I just described.

I've read about a "Brake Band" adjustment screw on the tranny case. Is this something to experiment a little with or am I about to take 401K money out to keep the car going.

The fluid installed is ATF 3. The car is a '92 w/99k miles.

Any information is appreciated. This is my first auto tranny in 17+ years. So I am pretty ignorant of the mechanics of it.

Randy (ii)
Old 01-01-2002, 09:23 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I've never heard of making a band adjustment causing any problems, if it's done properly. I doubt that this will cure the sensation you're experiencing though.

Most electronic transmissions will signal the engine management computer about an impending gear change and it will respond by reducing timing, fuel injection pulse width, etc. - some method of reducing engine power and allowing a 'cushy', non-jarring shift that won't cause undue strain/wear on the friction materials in the tranny. Any tranny engineer will tell you that the most wear-intensive operation in an automatic is the 'smooth' shift. To create a smooth shift the friction material needs to slip somewhat as the next gear is engaged. Try riding or driving a truck with an Allison trans, some of them shift so hard that you'd swear the driveshaft and differential will soon be found somewhere on the ground behind the truck.

It sounds as though you're half way there, just add an external cooler and change over to synthetic ATF and you'll probably have done as much as possible to extend the tranny's life.

Beav
Old 01-05-2002, 08:49 PM
svxeno

Thanks Beav, the tranny cooler is coming in the spring as well as synthetic fluid.

How does one go about getting ALL of the old fluid out or, do I have to spend another c-note to get it done.

Randy ii
Old 01-06-2002, 01:16 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svxeno
Thanks Beav, the tranny cooler is coming in the spring as well as synthetic fluid.

How does one go about getting ALL of the old fluid out or, do I have to spend another c-note to get it done.

Randy ii

Randy, your best bet is to get the T-Tech or similar type flush to get all the fluid out. The standard "drain and fill" on the SVX tranny only drops 6 quarts, leaving 4 quarts in the unit. I had mine flushed at a Penske shop that uses the Snap-on equivalent of the T-Tech. It cost me about 75.00 (on sale). It's generally, in most markets, around 89.95 plus fluid. So, I guess the answer is, yes, about a c-note will get it done.

Of course, for the adventurous, there's the "five gallon bucket" flush -- you'd have to ask KuoH3 about that procedure. He hangs out at the Yahoo site.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-06-2002, 05:59 AM
Not as old as Randy

Maybe I'm spoiled by having access to all the right stuff, but I place oil changes, transmission fluid changes and exhaust work on the 'never at home' list. They're not worthy of my time and frustration.

Beav
Old 01-06-2002, 08:28 PM
svxeno

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Maybe I'm spoiled by having access to all the right stuff, but I place oil changes, transmission fluid changes and exhaust work on the 'never at home' list. They're not worthy of my time and frustration.

Beav
The more I do at home the more TOOLS I can buy.

Randy (Chock full o' wrenches) ii
Old 01-06-2002, 08:42 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Quote:
Originally posted by svxeno

The more I do at home the more TOOLS I can buy.

Randy (Chock full o' wrenches) ii
Hey. I like this guy!

Steve (Snap-on QC)
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 01-06-2002, 08:49 PM
Not as old as Randy

Quote:
Originally posted by wasions

Hey. I like this guy!

Steve (Snap-on QC)
He said more tools, not more expensive tools... heheheh

Beav
(ex MAC dist)
Old 01-06-2002, 10:44 PM
trentak

Hey man

I feel you on this one. I took my car to Aamco for a similar problem you're having and it has taken them about 2 months to repiar my trans. DON"T GO TO THEM!!!!!! You may want to have them check the wiring harness that goes from the engine to the valve body of the transmission. The wires on my were friad and brittle and that is a 1,400 part to replace. You can just get one wiring harness you have to orde this kit that's why it's so expencive. If not go to a junk yard if you need that part.

To descrilbe my problem when I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd the RMPs would rev up to about 1,000 more then were they were shiftting from and then it would be fine. Then one day I was at a stop light about 200 miles aways from home and then the car desides that it's not going to go. It just reved!!!!! So I shiftted it manually and once it got throught those first couple of gears it was fine and it was smooth sailing frome there. I had to have the torque converter replaced, selenoids, bans and the wiring harness. This was all about 3,000. Be prepared for an expensive mechanic bill.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:39 PM
svxeno

[QUOTE]Originally posted by trentak
[B]Hey man

I feel you on this one. I took my car to Aamco for a similar problem you're having and it has taken them about 2 months to repiar my trans. DON"T GO TO THEM!!!!!!

Trentak,

Thanks for the advice. This would concur with what a local Subby tech (who owns a '92 SVX as well) told me about tranny's coming back in boxes from nat'l xmission repair shops.

I am not having the "Rev up" problems. I may just be adjusting to an auto tranny. (First in a long time) I understand the engine makes adjustments to promote a smooth shift. I am hoping this is the explaination. It's the one that will cost me the least amount of money.

Randy (Giving positive tranny vibes) ii