How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2001, 02:48 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Prayer

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Not everyone on this board believes in God, and not everyone believes in prayer.

But I believe in the power of prayer to improve us and to ease our inner spirit. I offer you this one, my favourite, it is a
Prayer for Courage.

Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers,

but to be fearless in facing them;

let me not beg for the stilling of my pain,

but for the heart to conquer it.

Let me not look for allies in life's battlefield,

but to my own strength.

Let me not crave in anxious fear to be saved,

but hope for the patience to win my freedom.

Grant that I may not be a coward, feeling your mercy in my success alone,

but let me find the grasp of Your hand in my failure.

We need courage to defeat these nihilistic S o B's. It can be found within.

Joe
Joe,
This text has been cut and pasted into a document and now holds a prominent place on my bulletin board in my office. Thank you.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-12-2001, 03:01 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
Quote:
Originally posted by FlagstaffSVX
Would this have happened if Gore was President?
Of couse it would, the election is long over, let's support our Commander and Chief. (every other college student I've talked to at my school agrees.)
This is not the question...

The question should be, "Would this have happened had Clinton NOT been President?...Had he been more concerned about getting his job done, rather than getting his "daddy maker" wet, a lot of problems may have evolved. Not saying that Quayle or Dole would not have had problems of their own, but I bet they wouldn't have basically dismantled our CIA

Last edited by cocacola08; 09-13-2001 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-12-2001, 03:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
Re: Re: Prayer

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Joe,
This text has been cut and pasted into a document and now holds a prominent place on my bulletin board in my office. Thank you.
again, Ditto
Old 09-12-2001, 03:25 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds
I really hope some of you did not misunderstand what I was saying. I am not a war monger, I do not feel we should wage war against Afghanistan or any other country. I do not feel we should kick all foreigners out. What I meant was we need to extinguish the CAUSE of these problems.

I listen daily to BBC news which IMHO gives the least slanted news that is available to us in the states, so I know of the daily terrorist attacks all over the world. The one theme that always rings out in most terrorist attacks is the shedding of civilian blood. When you are dealing with people who don't care about killing innocent people, you are backed into a corner.

I would like to see a peaceful resolve to this, but I have to be realistic. Unless we can get terrorists into court, we all lose. Lets pray that whoever is responsible went so far over the line, that their own people give them over for trial. If not, we are left with no other alternative than to go in and get them.

I'm not talking about bombing cities, I'm talking about a targeted effort for specific people. Unfortunately, people like this in the past have chosen to hide in schools, hospitals, and other cowardly places. In previous attempts, we have backed down and they have continued to take innocent people's lives.

And when we get this one or group, we set a policy that we will get EVERY terrorist into court so anyone who gets a bright idea of blowing up a bus in Israel knows that they WILL be found and they WILL be punished. It is time for the world to unite against a terrorist enemy, not against peace loving people of all races.

Doug

I know what you mean Doug. I stand with you on this one. I say do what the Israeli Government does. It doesn't matter where it is, go in and take'em out!

They have no respect for innocent lives, no one should have respect for theirs.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-12-2001, 03:54 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Prayer

Quote:
Originally posted by cocacola08
Had he been more concerned about getting his job done, rather than getting his johnson wet

Lemme see, I've noticed that the British have inumerable terms for the male member. Perhaps, in the future, you could use one of those.

Sincerely,
Randy JOHNSON
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-12-2001, 07:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Prayer

Quote:

Lemme see, I've noticed that the British have inumerable terms for the male member. Perhaps, in the future, you could use one of those.

Sincerely,
Randy JOHNSON
Is it a wiener? (That might offend the Austrians - Vienna is called WIEN in german). Willy?

I like to call it the cigar.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 09-12-2001, 07:43 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Talking Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Prayer

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim

Is it a wiener? (That might offend the Austrians - Vienna is called WIEN in german). Willy?

I like to call it the cigar.

Lwin
Yes.. And as Monica said to Bubba,"Close, but no cigar". Didn't work. Bill was(is) something of a terrorist himself. Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 09-12-2001, 08:53 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Security

When Jean and I arrived at Tel Aviv airport in November of 78, we exited the plane away from the terminal and had to cross the tarmac with Israeli soldiers with Uzis at our front and back. This was the result of a terrorist attack on the airport earlier. When leaving, Jean and I were separated and we were individually interviewed as ALL our baggage was hand-searched. I was physically searched. A fly couldn't have made it thru that inspection; the gentleman asked for my camera, apologized that one shot would be exposed, removed the lens to confirm that the camera was truly a camera, aimed and fired off an exposure to see that it worked. As he searched the LINING of the suitcase, constantly streamed questions at me..."How long were you in Israel? Did you meet any new friends here? Are you carrying anything back to London for anyone? What did you purchase while you were here?" etc. etc. and this was a British Airways flight we were taking back to England. If it were El Al, there would have been undercover Mossad agents/marshals on board. Come to think of it, I can't be sure that there WEREN'T any on THAT flight!
I just know that Jean and I felt MUCH more secure on the flight back than we did on the flight there.

I just wonder if we had air marshals on board these 4 aircraft yesterday.....if potential terrorists KNEW that someone on each plane was such a trained professional, would we be having the discussions on this thread today?
Just a thought.....Don

Last edited by SVXphile; 09-12-2001 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-12-2001, 09:40 PM

Re: Security

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
When Jean and I arrived at Tel Aviv airport in November of 78, we exited the plane away from the terminal and had to cross the tarmac with Israeli soldiers with Uzis at our front and back. This was the result of a terrorist attack on the airport earlier. When leaving, Jean and I were separated and we were individually interviewed as ALL our baggage was hand-searched. I was physically searched. A fly couldn't have made it thru that inspection; the gentleman asked for my camera, apologized that one shot would be exposed, removed the lens to confirm that the camera was truly a camera, aimed and fired off an exposure to see that it worked. As he searched the LINING of the suitcase, constantly streamed questions at me..."How long were you in Israel? Did you meet any new friends here? Are you carrying anything back to London for anyone? What did you purchase while you were here?" etc. etc. and this was a British Airways flight we were taking back to England. If it were El Al, there would have been undercover Mossad agents/marshals on board. Come to think of it, I can't be sure that there WEREN'T any on THAT flight!
I just know that Jean and I felt MUCH more secure on the flight back than we did on the flight there.

I just wonder if we had air marshals on board these 4 aircraft yesterday.....if potential terrorists KNEW that someone on each plane was such a trained professional, would we be having the discussions on this thread today?
Just a thought.....Don
I agree with you Don!

I had flown EL AL a couple of times from Jordan to the US. Needless to say the security on those flights had been the toughest I have seen. Even after the regular "Did you pack your own bags?" and "Are you bringing any gifts?" they still made me open all my bags for searching and repack my computer hard drives in the luggage.

As for the camera, they make you take a picture (normally pointing at no where) at all boder crossings (land/sea/air). On the EL AL flights (even with 6 passengers on board), I have seen an airline security guy and talked to him once.

We do not have to over react but the security at the airports in the US has been known to be lower than most places on earth. Even the security at the O'Hare Int. is not that great. I hate that fact that people (it does not matter who you are and who you know) can get to the gate of a departing plane. If anyone can get that far, I guess anything can happen. I am used to saying good bye to people at the airline counter. Anything pass the security gate SOULD be for the passengers only.

I have also seen airline security on RJ (Jordan) flights -- although they are not that hidden as on the EL AL. I have also seen security on SIA (Singapore) flights -- as well as onboard video security.

Anyways, it's about time we boost up the security at the airports.

Lwin
Old 09-12-2001, 10:07 PM

Registered SVX
freedom

Quote:
Originally posted by svxter
Gavin

You, Ray and others, are 100%, absolutely on-center correct. Hate will never conquer hate, only breed more of it. Tragically, there are far too many like your co-worker, who simply want to round "them" all up and dispose of "them". I wonder if he went out and beat up the first Arabic looking person he saw, would he feel patriotic?

Now is the time for a kind of quiet anger, some real information, careful deliberation, a firm resolve, and a well thought through plan of action.

One great fear I have, is that in the name of safety, there are those who would turn our society into a police state. Then the terrorists will truly have won.
Sadly, freedom was the big loser on 9/11/01. Reality check: we are all from some where else unless you're a grizzley or a clam.
Old 09-13-2001, 06:39 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Prayer

Quote:

Sincerely,
Randy JOHNSON
My apologies Mr. Johnson. Previous post will be edited!

Last edited by cocacola08; 09-13-2001 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-13-2001, 06:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Aredub,

I find it hilarious that you should be giving advice on what to call the male member, with a name like Randy Johnson.

Are you the new Benny Hill?

Larry III
Old 09-13-2001, 08:26 AM

Registered SVX
Re: freedom

Quote:
Originally posted by dromano
Sadly, freedom was the big loser on 9/11/01. Reality check: we are all from some where else unless you're a grizzley or a clam.

I thought long and hard about this, this morning on my 40 minute drive to work, as my "mourning" process began to progress from sadness to anger. Yes, I'm willing to admit that over the past few days, I've wanted to strike out and ease the anger that I'm feeling, and to visit wholesale "justice" upon as many of "those people" as I could find. Yes I was wrong, and I hang my head in shame that I would even entertain such thoughts. Please forgive me.

As my logical mind began to gestate, not only the current events, but the past, logic finally won out. We cannot indict a people for the acts of the few zealots. If we follow this line of logic, we would have to indict all Christians for the few who bombed Abortion clinics, not so long ago. We would have to indict and release our anger upon all teenagers for the senseless acts in the high schools of Paducah, Arkansas and Columbine. And, most frighteningly, we would have to indict all AMERICANS for the acts of Tim McVey and his familiars.

Justice MUST be served, but let us be sure that those to whom we mete out justice are the ones who deserve it.
Subaru Ambassador

Last edited by Aredubjay; 09-13-2001 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-13-2001, 09:28 AM

I want to add these two photos that I've found on news sites.

The first, The statue of liberty in the foreground with smoke and dust rising in the background.

This to me shows that even with what we've been through, Everything America stands for still holds strong. Just as our president said in one of his speeches in the last two days, they can dostroy our buildings but can't break the foundation of the american people.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ourladyliberty.jpg (19.6 KB, 191 views)
Old 09-13-2001, 09:33 AM

Photo #2:

This is a photo of Firemen raising a flag on the WTC.
As I am too young to remember vietnam, let alone WWII.

But in my eyes, this is the "Iwo Jima" of my generation.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg raiseflag.jpg (6.6 KB, 177 views)