Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-16-2011, 05:24 PM

fastest svx?

which svx has the fastest record time? 0-60 and 1/4 mile.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: fastest svx?

That would be the Shadow Machine. Used to belong to Tomsvx, aka Young Tom, and now belongs to Letitsnow(Rob). It's had some improvements since it ran a 12.99 in the 1/4 mile at around 106 mph a few years back already if I remember correctly. That was on about 9psi supercharged, stock internals with the Hydra standalone EMS. Since then unless Rob has changed anything, it has a custom 1off intake, 12 psi with meth injection. I don't believe Rob's gotten it to the strip but is using it for AutoX. I'm sure he can elaborate much more.

That is the fastest confirmed SVX.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

I'm not certain, but I think it was on the 12psi pulley when it ripped that 12.998.

I put the 9psi pulley on in an effort to help the engine last longer. Otherwise, beyond a pair of catch cans, a little tuning, and reinstallation of the rear window wiper (yeh, I DD it), it's pretty much as-was. As promised, it will be driven... appropriately.

I took my ol' man for a ride last year. Seems it wasn't what he expected.

I'll bring it out to ESTA sometime this season and see what I can do.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:17 PM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX

Awwwwwww I want supercharger
The word itself sounds fast

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 05-16-2011, 07:20 PM

wow that is nice, how fast is 0-60? i wish i could do this to my svx, ive been on the forums for about 2 years now and im afraid i have lots to learn before ill be able to do this to my car so this one is supercharged huh.. and turbo ones that run strong?
Old 05-16-2011, 07:29 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaueugen View Post
wow that is nice, how fast is 0-60? i wish i could do this to my svx, ive been on the forums for about 2 years now and im afraid i have lots to learn before ill be able to do this to my car so this one is supercharged huh.. and turbo ones that run strong?
Probably the best and most reliable turbo example was Phil's (phastsvx) that just sold his to Keven (can't remember his forum name on here). He's located near Milwaukee and runs a reliable 9 psi intercooled on 93 octane and for awhile he was running a reliable 15 psi on e85. He's using ECUtune software, a version of the Stage 2 aggressive, but not sure which one exactly.

Also, SVXfiles, aka Old or Original Tom (OT for short) has a centrifugal supercharger on his claret utilizing ECUtune software as well. Not sure on the boost levels.

There are a few others with the ECUtune stage 3 supercharger kits (what the shadow machine originated from) but none that have been pushed, used or proven thus far. Also others have started turbo setups but progress has been slow for various reasons.

Rob, Couldn't remember if that was when Tom was really starting to push it or not. I do remember that he didn't have the greatest tune on it when he ran it though. Have you messed with the tuning of the hydra much? And I'd DD the car as well, but I'd probably have way too heavy of a right foot and would be spending all my money on gas. Also, sorry for not getting the bracket yet. I'm going to be stripping down an SVX at "itsjusteric"s after Reading so i can mail that bracket from there probably. Just hard to get everything done when I'm only home about half the time or less it seems. send me a PM with your cell # and I can get ahold of you when I get the bracket off.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:32 PM
#1 BRODAWG!

Registered SVX

What would the top speed be on that monster?
Old 05-16-2011, 07:39 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun173 View Post
What would the top speed be on that monster?
Considering our cars from the factory ran about 155, I would guesstimate it could probably do about 175, or more. Hard to tell in all honesty, and with the hood as it is now, you wouldn't really want to get anywere near the top speed as it would probably get destroyed just from the airflow. Also the gearing plays a huge roll. That car has a JDM 6 spd STI transmission with shorter gears than the USDM transmissions. Not sure of the 6th gear ratio on that one.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:39 PM

what are main things needed to have been changed on the engine to support a supercharger?
Old 05-16-2011, 07:43 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
what are main things needed to have been changed on the engine to support a supercharger?
As I said, the car pictured has completely stock internals, Hydra EMS and associated sensors and injectors needed, custom pulleys, custom or modified intake manifold. It's been proven that you can run about 9 psi with that supercharger setup on stock internals before it pushes the limits and starts blowing ring lands. If you really want to look into it, there are about 6 years and tons of threads. I'd suggest searching the simple terms "supercharge(d)", "turbocharged", etc. That's what I did. I've probably read through almost every thread on this forum related to forced induction. And trust me, it will take you a few weeks.

For more boost, then you will need to get lower compression ratio forged pistons, H beam forged rods, etc, etc.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:44 PM
#1 BRODAWG!

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Considering our cars from the factory ran about 155, I would guesstimate it could probably do about 175, or more. Hard to tell in all honesty, and with the hood as it is now, you wouldn't really want to get anywere near the top speed as it would probably get destroyed just from the airflow. Also the gearing plays a huge roll. That car has a JDM 6 spd STI transmission with shorter gears than the USDM transmissions. Not sure of the 6th gear ratio on that one.
That would be so awesome. 170+ in an SVX. Not in the street of course, but on a racetrack or something,
Old 05-16-2011, 07:52 PM

wow, what ever happened to the engine rebuild with larger pistons that CAM was warking on.. it never ran well right? or is it still being worked on?
Old 05-16-2011, 07:57 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
wow, what ever happened to the engine rebuild with larger pistons that CAM was warking on.. it never ran well right? or is it still being worked on?
Cam is still working on his, but that is a complete N/A build.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:01 PM

so which one would be easiest to do? turbo, supercarged or n/a rebuild like CAM's?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:14 PM

Registered SVX

I would say NA. I am learning from the mistakes I made during my break in. I am going to replace iacv, aacv, and get the cylinders rehoned. I also have to helacoil my throttle body mounting bolts to the intake manifold. I believe I may have glazed the cylinders by breaking my engine in on royal purple. All in all not an expensive mistake, but UBER time consuming. While the engine is out I am replacing the fuse box, and all wiring harnesses on the front side of the car. It may be a bit until she's up and running again but I am not giving up.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted