Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 05:52 PM

I don't want to hijack the thread with Copy right issues but USA law and Australian Law is the same. I had this issue in the past and had to seek advise from a lawyer. The answer is simple we purchased SVX and in doing so paid Subaru the fee for the copy right of the ECU. Now that it is in our possession and is "Our property" we can change and modify it in any way we see fit. What we are not allowed to do in any form is to modifiy that code and sell the changes for a finnanical or personal gain.
In simple terms you can do what you like with the ECU but you can not sell the modified ECU. It all comes down to monetory gain from someone elses intellectial property.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
What we are not allowed to do in any form is to modifiy that code and sell the changes for a finnanical or personal gain.
In simple terms you can do what you like with the ECU but you can not sell the modified ECU. It all comes down to monetory gain from someone elses intellectial property.
Tony
Then basically, you are saying that LAN is currently engaged in an illegal business. Since he is still very much "alive and well," I cannot see this as being the case?
Old 11-07-2007, 07:08 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
Then basically, you are saying that LAN is currently engaged in an illegal business. Since he is still very much "alive and well," I cannot see this as being the case?
If a modified original program is being sold, rather than adding an extra or completely new original component to the system, copyright infringement has occurred. But it is unlikely that Subaru would be inclined to pursue the matter.

In the event that a charge is being made to alter/improve a customers existing program, I can not see that copyright has been infringed. Supplying altered components on an exchange basis would be another matter entirely.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 11-07-2007 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Words added for clarity
Old 11-07-2007, 07:55 PM

Sorry I was going to explain why the chip LAN sells is "NOT BREACHING THE COPYRIGHT" but was concise of highjack the thread. Given how important his contribution is it most likly needs to be cleared up. Subaru or who ever origanily developed the software for the ECU own the copy right. That software resides in the hardware unit the "ECU" if I add a extra part piece of "Hardware" that has addiational software and sell it as a seperate unit I have not made any sale of the orignal copyright material. In simple terms LAN chip is added to the existing ECU not part of the orignal software.
You would be all aware of number of add ins that you can get for various Microsoft products as long as they are "Add Ins" and not sale of the orignal software there in no breach of copy right.
Hope that clears it up, you also need to remember that the designer of the ECU provided us with the ability to add a chip set like LAN's.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:53 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
In simple terms LAN chip is added to the existing ECU not part of the orignal software.
Sorry, but no. The chip is not an addon. It replaces the entire ROM in the ECU. The chips on sale contain Subaru's software with a relatively small modification to the data (I'm guessing less than 1k out of the 32k). It would be a different matter if LAN rewrote the whole ECU program.

IMHO, distributing Subaru's software is copyright infringement, but Subaru know that tuners do this and they obviously don't care. Subaru have sold 25000 copies of this software, one in each car, and they will never sell another copy. So why would they care? Why are we still even discussing it?

We seem to have agreed amongst ourselves that we all respect LAN and nobody is going to copy or post any of his maps. The same should apply to the Aussie "Superchip", or any other professional tuner roms. Homebrew mods are a different thing however. I'd love it if people started modifying their own maps, dynoing them, and posting them here for others to try.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 11-08-2007, 04:03 AM

Okay get it. Does cutting the link switch over to the new Rom?
Old 11-08-2007, 04:27 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Okay get it. Does cutting the link switch over to the new Rom?
Yes, that's correct.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 11-08-2007, 04:41 AM

I was reading your web site and thinking about the last time I borrowed the Subaru Select monitor it has a graph function for a number of inputs, do you think that the history could reside in the ECU the same as you found on the TPS and the Monitor is getting it from there. We might be able to tell by the number of readings it remembers if the TPS graph is the same as the number you found it is possiable.
Tony
Old 11-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Phil, you're correct. I just read the datasheet and it is indeed a 3.3V model.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ype=osi_widget

That, however, is the +5V model.
So will it work with the add on board? or is this one useless?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
So will it work with the add on board? or is this one useless?
You could create a board which would correct the voltage. Basically you create the "92 problem" board, but then connect it in reverse (so that its input is the TxD from the USB, and the output is the RxD on the car). This way, the 3.3V signal from your USB would be stepped up to +5V which the car expects.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
You could create a board which would correct the voltage. Basically you create the "92 problem" board, but then connect it in reverse (so that its input is the TxD from the USB, and the output is the RxD on the car). This way, the 3.3V signal from your USB would be stepped up to +5V which the car expects.
That might work, provided the cable has a +5v wire to power the add on board.

I'd be more inclined to toss it and get a 5v cable.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 11-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
I was reading your web site and thinking about the last time I borrowed the Subaru Select monitor it has a graph function for a number of inputs, do you think that the history could reside in the ECU the same as you found on the TPS and the Monitor is getting it from there. We might be able to tell by the number of readings it remembers if the TPS graph is the same as the number you found it is possiable.
Tony
You may be right Tony, but I suspect in this case the select monitor stores the history itself. I haven't seen any other inputs that are handled in the same way as the TPS.

I got your PM and I understand what you're saying. I'll go through the code and find an example to show you.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 11-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
That might work, provided the cable has a +5v wire to power the add on board.

I'd be more inclined to toss it and get a 5v cable.
I... think his cable has a VCC line. Er... hrm. Darn, I'd forgotten about the power bit.

Remembering that, you'd also need to step up the VCC to +5V to power the voltage regulator...

It could be done. But Phil's right about getting a new cable, it might end up being cheaper, too. It'd certainly be easier.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
It could be done. But Phil's right about getting a new cable, it might end up being cheaper, too. It'd certainly be easier.
Yeah, thats probably what I should do... Mike you hear this??
Old 11-08-2007, 08:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to UPnorth362
Yep, I hear ya. I have a few usb units left. PM me if you are interested. So far, they have all worked as planned. I still need to ship a few out, so I can add you to the list. Will be back home from Puerto Rico this weekend .
IT'S 5:00 SOMEWHERE!!!

92 Liquid Silver SVX LS-L