SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2006, 09:33 AM
mean.green.machine

Rear Wheel Bearings

I know there have been a zillion posts about this but I havent found one that really addresses how to remove and replace a wheel bearing.

Here's my situation: I have a droning noise coming from the rear of my car. Its not real loud YET. I thought it might be my tires, but last night I put the mounted snows on the back and took a drive and the noise is still there. So I'm thinking maybe wheel bearings. I thought I would first remove and regrease them before replacing them. My thinking is that since the noise isnt that loud, maybe the bearings can be saved. Is the removal something that requires some special tool? I ask because I've done wheel bearings before on another car and it wasnt that difficult - removed the HUB cap, took out a cotter pin, removed seals and bearing, etc. But so much of what I've read implies that this is very difficult and maybe should be left to a mechanic - info on some kind of press or hub tamer needs to be used - and I'm not clear if one of these is required to remove the bearings from the hub, or for some other purpose.

I was kind of hoping that I could just remove the bearings, regrease, and reinstall. Is it alot more difficult than than? Sorry if this has been asked before, but I really didnt see much on the detail on the actual removal and replacement of them. Thanks.