Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 05-17-2004, 11:17 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Unhappy SCCA Solo II 'Stock' Class - Caught between a rock and a hard place...

Well here's my predicament - I plan on joining the SCCA later this year to compete in AutoX events next season with my SVX. I want to run in the Solo II 'Stock Class' with SVXRide & Newsvx but only limitied mods are allowed which is a little dissapointing as I really wanted to modify my car this summer...

SCCA Solo II Stock Class Rules

I studied the rules this morning and the only adjustments I'm able to make are to the air filter and a cat-back exhaust system. I cannot touch the ECU in any way. I also can't run bigger tires, but I can put on light weight wheels with R compound rubber.

I guess my project SVX will be limited to SCCA rules for at least 2005 - depending on how well I do, I may try competing in a higher class later on - which will allow me the freedom to add more performance parts!

My planned mods for 2004 will now look like:
1) K&N Cone filter
2) Custom 2.5" cat-abck system using a magna flow muffler
3) JDM Grounding kit
4) Mychailo's lowering springs and urethane bushings
5) RX-7 lightweight 16x8" wheels
6) AutoSpecialty/PowerStop Semi Metallic brake pads
7) Possibly the Ebay cross-drilled Brembo rotors...

I plan on dynoing my car before and after my intake & exhaust mods to see what the power gains are, as well as running it at the drag strip for 1/4 mile times...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-17-2004, 12:34 PM

the mods you list will take you out of the stock class. while the SVX can be somewhat competitive in the stock class, there simply aren't enough off-the-shelf mods available to make the next step up. That doesn't mean you can't do it and still have fun, just never expect to win an event.

problems with your list include lowering springs and wheels.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:47 PM

SVXRide uses RX-7 wheels and runs the Solo II stock class - he told me that you can't use a larger tire than stock, but almost any wheels you want.

I didn't realize the springs had to be stock - I only thought it was the shocks.

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by lee
problems with your list include lowering springs and wheels.

Old 05-17-2004, 12:53 PM

I studied the rules again and saw what you mentioned. I'll need to speak with SVXRide and Newsvx to see what mods you can get away with...

-Chike

Old 05-17-2004, 01:08 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chike,

If you're going to race totally "by the book" in G Stock you've got to stick with the stock springs. Any bushings have to stay the same "type" of material that came stock (which means you can go to urethane bushings, but not to metal bushings). You can go with the Koni strut inserts (I will be running them next year). Your rims have to be the same width and diameter as the stock rims and have to be within .25 inches of the stock offset. You can do just about anything you want to the front sway bar (even take it off, if you want to!). You can't touch the rear sway bar. You can go with R-Compound tires and - to the best I can tell - they just have to fit within the wheelwells when mounted on the rims that fit the requirements above. If your car is 1992 or older, you can upgrade your brake lines to braided lines. No engine mods other than going with a high-flow air filter (K&N). Exhaust mods are limited to Cat-back systems.

This all typed, let me add that SCCA events are all "self-policed". If you get to the National level, this policing gets very serious (so I've been told by a SCCA Instructor who competes at the National level). Now, how does this factor into what I'm running and what you propose to run....1. The RX-7 rims are slightly, but not noticeably, wider than the stock SVX rims (they're within the rules on diameter and offset), 2. Mychailo's springs do lower the car slightly, but not so much that it's obvious unless there is a stock SVX parked right next to you (right Harry?), 3. My SVX is a 92, so I'm good with my ss brake lines - you wouldn't be - suggest you try the "whole bunch of tie-wraps" approach to getting a firmer pedal - or just buy new stock lines (the stock lines will get a little soft over time), 4. My slotted disks all around are within the rules, 5. Mychailo's 19mm rear bar is definitely a rule breaker - see "local vs national" comments - I'm currently back with the stock bar with some fine tuning until I get another bar from Mychailo, 6. Best I can tell, I can go with a wider tire and still be within the stock rules -- I might just try a 245/45 profile next year if I can find a set on EBay!

Bottom line is that the SVX is a fun car to autocross, so get out there and enjoy yourself. The Mini Cooper S and Celica GTS that are also in G-Stock are very tough acts to follow!!

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-17-2004, 01:17 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide
My slotted disks all around are within the rules
Bill, I'm pretty sure you're mistaken there, unless I'm misinterpreting the rules. A quick glance at them tells me that you can use any kind of pad you want, but not any kind of rotor.

But you're right - at the local level the clubs tend to be pretty laid back. Ours here allows for some self-balancing. For instance, if I were to do a few things to my Justy to make it competitive (because it's not), people probably wouldn't have a problem with it.

That being said, competitors can protest your car. While we're laid back here, a protest will be taken seriously and the SCCA rules are used to determine what's legal and what's not.

I'm using slightly wider rims on the Justy than I'm supposed to. Other than that the car is totally legal for stock, and I plan on leaving it that way unless I feel suicidal and decide to go for a prepared or mod class...in the Justy...which would be so wrong I might just do it...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-17-2004, 01:38 PM

Looks like I'll try to sneak by with the RX-7 rims and Mychailo's springs... I just don't see my SVX being competitive with just urethane bushings. Hopefully my filter and exhaust can add 20hp to the mix and I can be competitive in G-Stock with my driving skills!

Thanks for the input!

-Chike
Quote:
This all typed, let me add that SCCA events are all "self-policed". If you get to the National level, this policing gets very serious (so I've been told by a SCCA Instructor who competes at the National level). Now, how does this factor into what I'm running and what you propose to run....1. The RX-7 rims are slightly, but not noticeably, wider than the stock SVX rims (they're within the rules on diameter and offset), 2. Mychailo's springs do lower the car slightly, but not so much that it's obvious unless there is a stock SVX parked right next to you (right Harry?), 3. My SVX is a 92, so I'm good with my ss brake lines - you wouldn't be - suggest you try the "whole bunch of tie-wraps" approach to getting a firmer pedal - or just buy new stock lines (the stock lines will get a little soft over time), 4. My slotted disks all around are within the rules, 5. Mychailo's 19mm rear bar is definitely a rule breaker - see "local vs national" comments - I'm currently back with the stock bar with some fine tuning until I get another bar from Mychailo, 6. Best I can tell, I can go with a wider tire and still be within the stock rules -- I might just try a 245/45 profile next year if I can find a set on EBay!

Old 05-17-2004, 01:48 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
Looks like I'll try to sneak by with the RX-7 rims and Mychailo's springs... I just don't see my SVX being competitive with just urethane bushings.

-Chike
I wouldn't say something like that until you actually run the car as is. And if you're a novice, your times are going to improve with every run without any modification to the car.

A case in point would be Michael Blue, who ran his stock SVX, with only the front wheels being driven, to some very competitive times.

I was actually very surprised how well the car hustled around the track. The key seemed to be not letting it shift when you didn't want it to - that could unsettle the car pretty drastically.

Anyway, my philosophy is this - mods don't necessarily make it more fun, but learning to be a better driver does. Do a few events with the car as is, then once you have a handle on everything you should have a good idea what the car needs to be faster.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 05-17-2004, 02:18 PM

Good advice. I'm not a novice, but I wouldn't call myself an expert either. I've attended a couple of driving schools and competed over the last 2 years at Mazda Rev It Up.

All in all, it would be best to compete with my SVX in stock form, but the mod bug has bitten me pretty good! The mods I plan shouldn't change the nature of my car's handling too much, as they're all pretty mild.

You're 100% right about what make these events fun!

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Anyway, my philosophy is this - mods don't necessarily make it more fun, but learning to be a better driver does. Do a few events with the car as is, then once you have a handle on everything you should have a good idea what the car needs to be faster.

Old 05-17-2004, 02:39 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
You're 100% right about what make these events fun!

-Chike
Well, it's all I know - mods for the Justy are every bit as difficult to come by as those for the SVX. The difference is that the Justy doesn't have the loyal following the SVX does, so mods are even more rare!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 05-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I definitely agree with the "becoming a better driver" aspect of autoX! With the exception of going with the Koni inserts next season, I'm just about "there" mod wise. The one thing I'll add regarding mods is that, without bushings and springs, the SVX has so much body roll that you can't even expect to be competitive (which is fine, if you're into that approach). The Mini S and Celica both have quicker steering, shorter wheelbase, easy Koni shock additions, and are roughly the same distance from the ground as the SVX.
Perhaps part of what I'm caught up in is that the G Stock SCCA crowd here is very competitive - I'm fairly certain every car running in this class is running R Compound tires (which are probably good for around 2 seconds).
As to the rotors I'm running, I think I'm okay, as they are the same size as the stock rotors and are only slotted - they are not drilled through.
-Bill
p.s. the SCCA classification wording on brakes is as follows:

13.6 Brakes

A. The make and material of brake linings may be changed.
B. Substitution of clutch and brake hydraulic lines with solid metal or braided metal is allowed on all cars manufactured before model year 1992.
C. Alternate brake bleeder fittings such as "Speedbleeders" are permitted* They may serve no other purpose.

So, the rules are silent on slotted vs plain...so, I'll stick with my "I can order these off the shelf" approach.

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 05-17-2004 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:52 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
13.6 Brakes

A. The make and material of brake linings may be changed.
B. Substitution of clutch and brake hydraulic lines with solid metal or braided metal is allowed on all cars manufactured before model year 1992.
C. Alternate brake bleeder fittings such as "Speedbleeders" are permitted* They may serve no other purpose.

So, the rules are silent on slotted vs plain...so, I'll stick with my "I can order these off the shelf" approach.
Right, so maybe I misinterpret the definition of 'linings.' I thought it just refered to pads, not rotors. If it does, then I don't think any more clarification is required - your slotted rotors are fine.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 05-17-2004, 03:52 PM

This is my feeling as well. From doing some 'canyon carving' with my '96 SVX L, the body roll isn't horrible (like my wife's '02 Lancer ES), but there's enough lean that I'll be seriously handicapped in tight AutoX racing...

Mychailo's springs and bushings are a must for AutoXing an SVX with any hopes of being competitive!!!

-Chike
Quote:
The one thing I'll add regarding mods is that, without bushings and springs, the SVX has so much body roll that you can't even expect to be competitive (which is fine, if you're into that approach).

Old 05-17-2004, 08:50 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

Quote:

I think that makes braided lines on a 1992 illegal.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 05-18-2004, 09:22 AM

Seems like you can get away with alot of stuff at these local meets! Either way, I plan on doing your inexpensive zip-tie mod svxhunter to get a firmer pedal feel as well as prevent the ballooning effect which can happen with rubber lines when temps heat up...

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by svxhunter
I think that makes braided lines on a 1992 illegal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: