Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2003, 06:36 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
4 piston calipers up front for our SVX!

Where to get them?

YOU HAVE THEM ALREADY!

Sort of. I was reading an article online a few days ago about sliding calipers (what our SVX has) vs regular calipers. Basically, Sliding calipers DOUBLE the force of a regular caliper, so even though it only has two pistons, it ACTS like it has 4. So yeah. I'm thinking we don't need to upgrade our calipers unless its some of those crazy 6 piston setups. I'll try to find the article though.

- Rob
Old 07-21-2003, 06:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Re: 4 piston calipers up front for our SVX!

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
Where to get them?

YOU HAVE THEM ALREADY!

Sort of. I was reading an article online a few days ago about sliding calipers (what our SVX has) vs regular calipers. Basically, Sliding calipers DOUBLE the force of a regular caliper, so even though it only has two pistons, it ACTS like it has 4. So yeah. I'm thinking we don't need to upgrade our calipers unless its some of those crazy 6 piston setups. I'll try to find the article though.

- Rob
I'm thinkin' that I'd like those "crazy" 6 piston calipers that Dayle is working on with the 13" rotors. I think that an actual 4 piston caliper would still probably be better than ours, just maybe not as much as we'd would have thought.

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 07-22-2003, 12:47 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Rob, where's this article? I've only worked with sliding calipers, so I'd be interested to see how anything that didn't work in the same way would work.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-22-2003, 12:55 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Re: 4 piston calipers up front for our SVX!

Quote:
Where to get them?

YOU HAVE THEM ALREADY!

- Rob
Well, that depends on the size of the pistons. There could be a two piston sliding caliper that has more force than a four piston fixed caliper.

It all depends on surface area of the pistons, the more surface area, the more pressure (very simplified). For example, if you have two pistons with three square inches of surface area each and compare it to a four piston caliper that has one square inch each, the floating caliper would have more force.

Now we have to take into account the force lost sliding the caliper, or the efficiency differences between moving two pistons x distance or four pistons 1/2x distance, pressure lost because of different size caliper fluid chambers, etc...

It is very complicated, but basically, many pistons is generally accepted as better than fewer pistons.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 07-22-2003, 01:40 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Sorry Mohrds, but you're wrong here. And god *@#*&$*(@ IT! I can't find the article! But snoop around! Basically, if the piston sizes are all one size (in this example) a 4 piston regular caliper has just as much 'squeezing force' as a 2 piston floating/sliding caliper. So yeah, we have pretty good calipers. The audi S4 also uses sliding calipers, and if you search about that you'll find its a damn good setup and the only thing you'll really gain by converting to a regular caliper would be 'better pedal feedback', but almost no gains when it comes to stopping performance.

- Rob
Old 07-22-2003, 04:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Either way... this heavy beast could still use some better brakes.

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 07-23-2003, 10:36 AM
Porter

My brakes are amazing.

Raceconcepts slotted Bradis, fresh OEM pads and a complete flush using Valvoline Synthetic brake fluid.

40+ decels from 100 on the Cherohala Skyway with no brake fade.. my brakes work just fine.

Remember, the procedure you use to bed in and heat cycle the pads is as important as the components you use. See Stoptech's site for proper bedding procedures for any sport braking system.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:22 PM
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Sorry Mohrds, but you're wrong here. And god *@#*&$*(@ IT! I can't find the article! But snoop around! Basically, if the piston sizes are all one size (in this example) a 4 piston regular caliper has just as much 'squeezing force' as a 2 piston floating/sliding caliper. So yeah, we have pretty good calipers. The audi S4 also uses sliding calipers, and if you search about that you'll find its a damn good setup and the only thing you'll really gain by converting to a regular caliper would be 'better pedal feedback', but almost no gains when it comes to stopping performance.

- Rob
Rob- You offered no explanation of why Doug is wrong. Could you expand on this?

Stephen
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
94 Laguna ROLLING w/4.44s/Ecutune ECU +TCU/STI springs/Infiniti M45 rims
Old 07-23-2003, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Porter
Remember, the procedure you use to bed in and heat cycle the pads is as important as the components you use. See Stoptech's site for proper bedding procedures for any sport braking system.
I talked to Dean at ART. They use the Bradi rotors as the basis for their cryogenic treatment. However, his bedding procedure is quite different (maybe because of the cryo treatment).

ART's procedure is to take the car up to 60-65 mph and apply the brakes with your left foot while trying to maintain speed with the accelerator. Keep your foot on the brakes for 8-10 seconds, off for 15 seconds, on for another 8-10 seconds for a dozen times, then park the car and let the brakes cool down for half an hour and you're done.

They are now using the better quality Axxis pads instead of the PBR Metal master pads

$600 for rotors and pads all around plus $50.00 shipping

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 07-23-2003, 01:45 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:

- Rob
I'm not sure where you got your AUDI info from, but I know first hand that the S4 has four piston fixed calipers in the front. I helped my friend install new CF pads and slotted rotors on his 2001 S4.

Unless the previous owner replaced the calipers with four piston ones that happened to have the Audi symbol cast into them, they are stock.

As for the sliding caliper debate, Pressure is the force acting perpendicular to a given surface area. P=F/A or in our case, Force is Pressure times the surface Area F=P*A

If the master cylinder produces the same pressure in the brake fluid, the piston area determines the force. The more surface area, the greater the force for the same fluid pressure.

With a sliding caliper, all the pressure is exerted on the pistons and the caliper slides to equalize the force on the inboard and outboard pads. Basically the force is cut in half for each side, half on the inboard side, half on the outboard side. Plus you lose some energy moving the caliper on the slides, so there is no way based on our laws of science that the article you read was accurate.

You didn't happen to read that in the NY Times, did you

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 07-23-2003, 06:04 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Sliding verses opposed piston.

Yes, the clamping pressure on the disk, is the same regardless if the calliper is double opposed pistons or a twin piston sliding calliper.

The main difference is in the sliding section. If the slides are free and lubed, the application of the brakes will be the same.
It is when you let the brake off that the difference is realised.

The four opposed pistons will be retracted by their seals, that distort when it is applied, to pull the pistons back from the pads. The disk run out will knock the pads back along with the boundary layer of air that forces the pad from the disk.

The sliding callipers piston seal will pull the piston back from the pad and run out will knock the inside pad back. The outside pad and the sliding calliper mechanism has no seal to retract it, it relies on the disk run out to knock the whole assemble back from the disk.

Also when applied, the pads have to follow the the disk run out to keep contact. This is better with the opposed piston as they only have to move fluid from the pistons on one side to the other side. The sliding calliper has to move the whole mechanism from one side to the other to follow the disk run out. This is where it is inferior to the opposed piston calliper.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.

Last edited by oab_au; 07-23-2003 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:47 PM

A good cheap option.

I got very very very noticable improvements with my system. Basically I installed steel braided lines, flushed with hi temp fluid, rebuilt the calipers, installed carbon kevlar pads (from KC), and used cross drilled rotors. The pads and rotors were cryo treated locally. I really don't see the need to improve them. I also painted them for asthetics
Old 08-10-2003, 11:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
I dunno about you guys, but I'm with Porter here. I know Porter has actually done some good testing. I too have done some testing with these brakes. I've tracked my SVX 5 separate days. Axxis Ultimate Pads in the Front, Axxis Metalmaster rear, Raceconcepts.net dimpledrilled/slotted all around. Delphi Dot 5.1 fluid flushed, SS Lines.

The only issue I had was that I cooked the drilled rotors @ Jefferson Circuit on our 2nd day there. Cracked all 4 rotors. I will be replacing with the Bradi blanks shortly.

The pads and rotors are the same size used on the Nissan Pathfinder and the Nissan Pickuptrucks. I'm not sure how they could NOT stop our cars efficiently, we are about 500-1000lbs lighter than those vehicles. Only difference could be the calipers or the booster is different.

-mike
Old 09-24-2003, 02:30 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/ed...212scc_techno/

HAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Told you so, suckers.

- Rob
Old 09-24-2003, 03:16 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by Paisan

The pads and rotors are the same size used on the Nissan Pathfinder and the Nissan Pickuptrucks. ...

-mike
I knew the front pads are the same as the Nissan Pathfinder, but I was unaware of the interchangeability of the rear pads and the front and rear rotors. Could you be a little more specific about the interchangability? What model/year Nissan corresponds with which of these items?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.