SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2008, 06:21 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Section 2 page 95 of the manual talks about how the "Select monitor" works.
Mode F07 is Ignition timing (ADVS) says the range is 12 deg to 28 deg
Mode F21 - Knock sensor signal (RTRD says range -10 to +10 deg.

Don't know if this helps but thats what the book says. I may borrow the unit here and get some numbers on my cars.

Tony
Tony,

Special thanks for presenting applicable facts which are most certainly useful.

You have always illustrated practical skills, and confirm that you fully understood my query, which others are side stepping.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:33 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post
But, that is his modus operandi...
I do not appreciate sarcastic snide remarks. Notably in this case from and an executive member.

My intent is always to ensure that accuracy prevails in the interests of members. Comment as you wish, but please confine yourself to facts.

This particular thread has become convoluted to the extent that it has lost all purpose. Exact information may get it on track.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:43 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
Yes, what I said was correct. Trevor is just once again making the false assumption that the failure to understand is someone else's and not his. He's got his head stuck thinking like the ignition advance logic is 10 lines of code rather than 500. Perhaps he should be introduced to the flowchart in Subaru's patent application.
In view of the fact that I have not received a direct reply, I now accept your statement that the figures you previously quoted are in degrees of angle.

Those reading this thread will therefore be in no doubt as to the statement posted and will be able to judge its validity.

Once again the use of sarcasm is apparent, rather than adhering to what has been presented in an absolute manner.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:14 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
Trevor,

Tell me about your SVX. What kind of SVX do you have? Have you found being a member of the forums helpful in maintaining or modifying your SVX?
Direct questions call for and honest objective answer. I will provide mine. When will you do likewise?

My SVX was sold in Japan during 1992. Purchased imported, 8/05/2000. Recording 82,000 Km. N.Z. Registration No. ZC 9759

E - CXW Vin. CXW 003870

Option code BXC. Trim 220. Colour code 265

Engine type EG33DDX1DE. Transmission TZ102YL1AA-KN, No. 342367

Should you HONESTLY for a true purpose, require additional information. I will be pleased to oblige.

Being a member here has certainly been beneficial in respect of maintaining my SVX.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:59 PM

Tom I was think about the idea of a different ECU and I think we need to remember that most of the ones that would suit our car simply don't have the ability to me the polluation Rules.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Tom I was think about the idea of a different ECU and I think we need to remember that most of the ones that would suit our car simply don't have the ability to me the polluation Rules.
Tony
That is a good possibility. But since I have no hands on experience with them, any advice I have to offer is merely conjecture.

Mike, and those interested. I am by no means an expert on ECU programming and I do not know all of the ins and outs of the SVX ecu. Many thoughts I have on the are based on hands on experiences with vehicle equipped w/ various different trims and modifications. Is there room to grow? Sure. I have to be completely honest, if you are not looking to get every last HP or ft lb out of your engine possible, then the ECUtune stuff is right for you. It is a chip that can apply to a broad scope of applications. But as we know and have discussed in this thread, when applying things non-specific, sacrifices must be made. In this case, what works on Mike's test cars, may not work as well for what you have.

Either way, my point has been made. We could fight tooth and nail all day over absolute specifics and never come to a conclusion on any topic. I grow tired of restating my points just to have them picked apart. This is my opinion, and nothing more. You can take it for what it is worth, or trash it, it is up to you.

Tom
Old 03-25-2008, 11:08 PM

Tom,
I think we should think this through a bit because we get all these different guys jumping on the forum offering the world and then after a couple of months they have moved on and we are left with the original bunch. I think these guys decide that the market ECU's is so small that its not worth it. So as the old saying goes if yu want something done we are going to have to do it ourselfs.
Would you consider putting your car on a dyno with the select monitor pluged in if I pay for the dyno cost?
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:56 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I do not agree that it is silly to ensure that statements made with reference to a technical issue, are clear and accurate rather than the reverse.

What is not fair in seeking out basic facts relative to a subject under discussion? I was not intent on correcting the wording used. I queried figures clearly indicating measurements in degrees.

However by intent I softened what could be interpreted as criticism, by suggesting that only the wording might be in error. The reply now posted has confirmed my original doubts in respect of validity.
Trevor,

I see that you may have misunderstood me. I am not sure why we must continue to misunderstand one another, as I believe that we both speak the same language. I will attempt to be as clear and precise as I can with this post, so as to prevent further misunderstanding of my intent.

In my initial response, I was merely pointing out that when one person made a mistake in wording, you then stated that no one is capable of quoting figures illustrating the actual ignition timing. Once more, I will make clear my point. A single person makes a mistake in wording, you then respond that no one (meaning all people gathered here on the board) is capable of providing such figures.

That is a fallacy, one which I absolutely do not agree with. I believe that you are being incredibly unreasonable. Correcting someone is one thing; insulting everyone else is another.

Regards,
Nomake
Old 03-26-2008, 04:56 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Tom,
I think we should think this through a bit because we get all these different guys jumping on the forum offering the world and then after a couple of months they have moved on and we are left with the original bunch. I think these guys decide that the market ECU's is so small that its not worth it. So as the old saying goes if yu want something done we are going to have to do it ourselfs.
Would you consider putting your car on a dyno with the select monitor pluged in if I pay for the dyno cost?
Tony
Don't get me wrong, I will be taking my car to the dyno. I am still using my select monitor interface, also I have the ability to data log my AFR EGT and maybe boost, if I get a digital sensor. So, I will be working on my own, after the machine shop is done fixing my one bearing that was out of round. I would rather not accept payment for anything, as it would mean I was required to do it for someone else, which makes all of this less appealing. I have no commercial interest in this market to be honest.

Tom
Old 03-26-2008, 05:00 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
Trevor,

I see that you may have misunderstood me. I am not sure why we must continue to misunderstand one another, as I believe that we both speak the same language. I will attempt to be as clear and precise as I can with this post, so as to prevent further misunderstanding of my intent.

In my initial response, I was merely pointing out that when one person made a mistake in wording, you then stated that no one is capable of quoting figures illustrating the actual ignition timing. Once more, I will make clear my point. A single person makes a mistake in wording, you then respond that no one (meaning all people gathered here on the board) is capable of providing such figures.

That is a fallacy, one which I absolutely do not agree with. I believe that you are being incredibly unreasonable. Correcting someone is one thing; insulting everyone else is another.

Regards,
Nomake
Nomake,

Please believe that I am in no intent on arguing, but the facts must be confirmed.

What I said was ---”I now must assume that no one can quote figures illustrating the actual ignition timing in respect of an SVX, as original or modified.”

Your statement that my words are a fallacy and that I insulted everyone is rejected. However once again I assume misunderstanding.

In no way did I suggest that anyone was incapable of providing figures. My words surely indicated that no one could quote actual figures, (i.e. in degrees of angle because measurements in this form were not available, or had not been recorded.)

Please indicate when and where previously the actual ignition timing had been quoted, particularly within this discussion, i.e. actual figures in degrees of angle relative to TDC.

No doubt as a result of your comments and immediately following my post, useful figures covering the standard engine were posted thanks to Tony. We are now much the wiser.

Whatever, we are friends. Sincerely Trevor.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:04 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
No doubt as a result of your comments and immediately following my post, useful figures covering the standard engine were posted thanks to Tony. We are now much the wiser.

Whatever, we are friends. Sincerely Trevor.
It was not the "could" in "no one could" that I disagreed with. It was the "no one" part, which Tony proved to be incorrect. However, as you say, we are friends. I would not want to make an enemy of you, in the event I once more lose the illumination in my interior!

Regards,
Nomake
Old 03-26-2008, 11:06 AM

Tom we all have to work together to figure out what is going on, I tend to beleive that there is a lot more power to be had using the standard ECU we just need to figure out what is going on. How do we do it together is my question? What do you think would work.
Tony
Old 03-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
If I can jump in with a suggested approach...

1. Ensure that the engine/drivetrain is in good working order (no vacuum leaks, no slipping trans, etc.)

2. Make sure that the tire/rim combination used on the SVX "test mule" isn't outside of the normal bounds of the stock tire/rim (DynoJet is an inertia-based dyno, the weight of the tires/rims on the car will make a difference in the results).

3. Do at least 2 baseline dyno runs (all runs with SAE correction!) before installing the mod in question.

4. Make sure you have the AFR measured during the dyno pulls (installing an O2 sensor in a bung upstream of the primary cat instead of just putting a probe in the tailpipe is preferred. Use the passenger's side pipe).

5. Make sure to have a SSM plugged in during the dyno pulls (anyone figured out how to data log the SSM?). Enough of us have SSMs now that there should be no reason why anyone does dyno pulls without one plugged in.

6. Make sure the engine is up to normal operating temp before starting the dyno pulls.

7. Give the car at least 15 minutes between pulls.

8. Only do one mod for each series of dyno pulls (no less than 2 pulls for each mod) as we don't want to get into a "well, how much was X worth versus X+Y?" discussion)

9. Make sure to get a print out of all dyno pulls before leaving the dyno facility (you can always scan them latter).

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 03-26-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
if having done 1-7 but neglecting 8 visit Chris's dyno shop with either a 6 pack of beer or a pipe
Old 03-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Michael,

Have you had the time to take a look at the SSM to see if there is an "easy" way to data log it? (sorry if I'm showing my ignorance regarding the inherent capabilities of the SSM).

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker