Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Interior Mods
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2009, 10:11 PM

Registered SVX
Re: how to change ignition light colors

So here's another variation of instrument colors using white LED and just the factory color of the gauges. The difference in color is due to using white LED's in place of the stock bulbs.
STOCK

White LED's with stock gauge backing.
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 03-04-2009, 06:53 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

I'm a huuuuge fan of SVXash's gauges =)

I think the first one with the blue LEDs looks the best, but it doesn't seem to work because you can't see the needles...

So I was thinking, how hard would it be to swap out the red needles with clear ones? Like if you bought this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...Q5fAccessories

If you can get these needles cheaper somewhere else please point them out, this is the best I could come up with so far.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

with the "stock backing" do you mean just the regular gauges? without anything done??

I think I'm going to do the stage gels like you did. where did you get them from??? and I like how lit the white led's got it. maybe I'll do the white led's and the blue stage gels. how did you put the leds in there??
Old 03-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

The led's for the gauges just replace the stock bulbs in the holder. I just got my dash back together and I really should take some GOOD shots of the red. Also about the needles, I suggested to just remove the red paint behind the needles to make them clear. I haven't tried this yet to see how it would look but I think it will look like the newer subarus with the clear needles.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 03-04-2009, 08:55 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
with the "stock backing" do you mean just the regular gauges? without anything done??

I think I'm going to do the stage gels like you did. where did you get them from??? and I like how lit the white led's got it. maybe I'll do the white led's and the blue stage gels. how did you put the leds in there??
Yes the stock backing is just the stock gauges without anything done to them. I purchased the stage gels from http://www.lightingelstore.com/servl...rection/Detail
The LED's are located in the factory bulb holders.
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 03-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxash View Post
Yes the stock backing is just the stock gauges without anything done to them. I purchased the stage gels from http://www.lightingelstore.com/servl...rection/Detail
The LED's are located in the factory bulb holders.
looking at your gels, I am trying to tell if the [PRND123] section is blue or still green?

I need to take my gauges apart but I haven't grown so bold... Anyone have a picture of the stock bulbs that plug into the gauges? So I can see what I need to order before removing it.

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 03-05-2009, 10:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat

Quote:
Kozy how did you get the led's in the stock housing? is there an issue about power? would this work for any color led?
The LEDs come with the resistor and diode already soldered to the bulbs in the housing we need to just plug-n-play.

You can get them in Red, Blue, Green, White, Orange, and UV/Purple.

2 Issues I encountered:
1) while the housing is correct, the little tabs on the side are a little wider than what they need to be so I had to trim them a little with a exacto knife. Easy fix.

2) Because of the resistor and diode inside the house, the "Super Star Neo - Wedge" LEDs + housing are longer than the stock bulbs + housing. So I have to take 2 drill bits (I will find the sizes) and widen the second slot for the bulb in the cruise/security casing (there are 2 slots, one provides power, it the brass looking ring on top, the second is inside below. its black and of a smaller diameter than the first - i just made them the same diameter).

So the bulb went from sitting like this:

To sitting as it should:

For the side view mirror, I just took one of those LEDs and swapped it into the stock bulb housing, as seen here:

So just using the high intensity LEDs (aka regular Neo-Wedge) looked great on the Parking//Sideview Mirror Arrows but not so great on the Cruise/Security/Fog buttons due to the frost on the button's lettering:

The effort to use the wideangle LEDs (aka superstar) made a nice difference: [This was taken at dusk so the LEDS have a pink hue to them that isn't there at night.]

I bought the #74 red wide angle LED($2.99), #74 red LED($2.50) and the #74 regular red bulb ($0.99) for comparison - Just get the $2.99 one, the ignition light is much fuller than the other two.
Ignition completed:

I bought my LEDs from: http://autolumination.com/74.htm - Type A (8mm bulb housing) for the buttons, #74 for the ignition
Yes the site is cheesy, but they guy ships really fast. Not sure on how fast he is at communicating by email because I didn't have any questions. I just ordered and like 3-4 days later (depending on weekend or not) they came in by USPS Priority. You pay by paypal so they send a paypal item shipped notification.

on to changing the rest...

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior

Last edited by cozykat; 05-26-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:40 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozykat View Post
looking at your gels, I am trying to tell if the [PRND123] section is blue or still green?

I need to take my gauges apart but I haven't grown so bold... Anyone have a picture of the stock bulbs that plug into the gauges? So I can see what I need to order before removing it.
The gear indicator section is trimmed green around the perimeter which makes the letters appear slightly green in color. The stock bulb is a 194.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Quote:
The LEDs come with the resistor and diode already soldered to the bulbs in the housing we need to just plug-n-play.

You can get them in Red, Blue, Green, White, Orange, and UV/Purple.

2 Issues I encountered:
1) while the housing is correct, the little tabs on the side are a little wider than what they need to be so I had to trim them a little with a exacto knife. Easy fix.

2) Because of the resistor and diode inside the house, the "Super Star Neo - Wedge" LEDs + housing are longer than the stock bulbs + housing. So I have to take 2 drill bits (I will find the sizes) and widen the second slot for the bulb in the cruise/security casing (there are 2 slots, one provides power, it the brass looking ring on top, the second is inside below. its black and of a smaller diameter than the first - i just made them the same diameter).

So the bulb went from sitting like this:

To sitting as it should:

For the side view mirror, I just took one of those LEDs and swapped it into the stock bulb housing, as seen here:

So just using the high intensity LEDs (aka regular Neo-Wedge) looked great on the Parking//Sideview Mirror Arrows but not so great on the Cruise/Security/Fog buttons due to the frost on the button's lettering:

The effort to use the wideangle LEDs (aka superstar) made a nice difference: [This was taken at dusk so the LEDS have a pink hue to them that isn't there at night.]

I bought the #74 red wide angle LED($2.99), #74 red LED($2.50) and the #74 regular red bulb ($0.99) for comparison - Just get the $2.99 one, the ignition light is much fuller than the other two.
Ignition completed:

I bought my LEDs from: http://autolumination.com/74.htm - Type A (8mm bulb housing) for the buttons, #74 for the ignition
Yes the site is cheesy, but they guy ships really fast. Not sure on how fast he is at communicating by email because I didn't have any questions. I just ordered and like 3-4 days later (depending on weekend or not) they came in by USPS Priority. You pay by paypal so they send a paypal item shipped notification.

on to changing the rest...
Awesome Cozy! this is an awesome developement especially for those of us trying to go blue because for the window switch and window lock we would have issues replacing the green led because of difference of power levels! this is gonna be awesome! it will work out great for all the buttons and everything!

I'm still going to sand and use the stained glass paint for the hvac and stage gels and sanding for the gauges! this is awesome! I'm excited! I can't wait to pull everything out this summer and do this and my halos and everything!

good work everyone! I'll take pictures of my work too when I get around to it. The pictures and sharing of trial and error is really what makes this such an awesome community! Thanks guys!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Awesome Cozy! this is an awesome developement especially for those of us trying to go blue because for the window switch and window lock we would have issues replacing the green led because of difference of power levels! this is gonna be awesome! it will work out great for all the buttons and everything!

I'm still going to sand and use the stained glass paint for the hvac and stage gels and sanding for the gauges! this is awesome! I'm excited! I can't wait to pull everything out this summer and do this and my halos and everything!

good work everyone! I'll take pictures of my work too when I get around to it. The pictures and sharing of trial and error is really what makes this such an awesome community! Thanks guys!
Well, If you have any problems doing anything, lmk.

I like LEDS because they won't be going out anytime soon so it's virtually a onetime replacement but being these plug-in, I can always change colors anytime I want without any hassle.

btw: I might be getting a laguna blue svx in May and I'll be leaning towards blue LEDs in that one.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

That is awesome! I'll be in touch definitely, I'll talk to you in may round the end of it, I'll be doing mine. I'm also going to be doing my halos n stuff too! I'm way excited.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX

Amazing, I love the brightness. Now that I have my Polo green, I would love to do this as well, I will keep them green, but, I will get that LED Green which is much more deep green then the current washed out green.

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)
Old 05-07-2009, 12:18 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I still like the richness of the blue leds instead of the blue gel jobby job... not that its a bad alternative but the blue looks great the first go round.

Is there any room behind the needle to aim a mini white LED behind it to somewhat illuminate the needles perhaps? I'll probably go that route regardless... I hate reverse white indiglo replacements... but love the blue.

Also the 194 leds on eBay (blue ones) are just plug and play yea?
Thanks
Old 05-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

You know what I just realized the only thing we haven't explored changing the colors on? The light ring that goes around the keyhole OUTSIDE the car on the doors! Any ideas??
Old 05-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

Quote:

hey cozy have you figured out if you can do the same thing you did with the others for the gauge bulbs???