Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2009, 09:52 PM

Re: 11:1 CR Race/Street Engine build

Wow, this car is going to look better underneath than my car looks, period.

Nice job, and following the progress... Lots more pictures, please!

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:21 PM
One teal and One yellow

look GREAT!

can't wait to hear from dan's reviews on the tracks.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 12-15-2009, 05:26 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Need to get a real front sway bar on that bad boy!

Nice work!

-Bill
Bill:

What did you have in mind?

Dan

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 12-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade View Post
Bill:

What did you have in mind?

Dan
Dan,
Oh, maybe something like this:

21.5mm
Mychailo's fabricator built this for me and I've had it on RacerX for a couple years now. Speaking from experience, it will rip the stock end link brackets off of our strut housings My suggestion is to run the car for a while and see if you really need the front end to "plant" more (I installed this bar before I went to coilovers)
-Bill
p.s. YT can talk to you more about it, as he's seen it up close and personal when he did the coilover install

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Bill:

As I became more and more used to the SVX on the track, I discovered the value of trail braking for front end bite to aid turn-in. I also found that for really tight turns, I should time and modulate my braking so that I was still braking past the apex, so that I could nail the throttle after most of the turning was done and allow the car to track out under full throttle. These tactics really reduced my understeering problems.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Old 12-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Bill:

As I became more and more used to the SVX on the track, I discovered the value of trail braking for front end bite to aid turn-in. I also found that for really tight turns, I should time and modulate my braking so that I was still braking past the apex, so that I could nail the throttle after most of the turning was done and allow the car to track out under full throttle. These tactics really reduced my understeering problems.

Dan,

You and your "after more and more track time"....I hate you! (j/k!!!!)

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 12-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Bill:

I haven't had theSVX on the track since June of 2008. A few trips to the track with the roadster in 2009, but I'm starved for seat time also.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Bill:

I haven't had theSVX on the track since June of 2008. A few trips to the track with the roadster in 2009, but I'm starved for seat time also.
Dan,
YT told me the roadster experience didn't end well. Are you going to trailer the SVX once you get it back from YT?
-Bill

My Locker
Old 12-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Nope. Street legal. Run what you brung. I'll just up my AAA membership to 100 mi. towing allowance and play it by ear. The hassle overhead for trailering isn't worth the assurance of a ride home if you break it on the track. The secret is to identify Subaru dealerships or OT's or YT's that are within the AAA towing radius of each track you visit.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Maniac modifier

Well, got the new shims in the mail and got all the clearances checked out. Cams are installed and I will be prepping the engine for the rest of the day with all the powder coated goodies and new injectors and such. With some luck it might be in the car this weekend waiting for the headers and water pipe to come back from being ceramic coated

Tom
Old 12-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Well, got the new shims in the mail and got all the clearances checked out. Cams are installed and I will be prepping the engine for the rest of the day with all the powder coated goodies and new injectors and such. With some luck it might be in the car this weekend waiting for the headers and water pipe to come back from being ceramic coated

Tom

-Bill

My Locker
Old 01-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Maniac modifier

Water Pipe and Headers are off to coating today. Meanwhile I will be loading the long block into the car so as soon as I get the headers back, I can begin working out the rest of the SS exhaust system. Going with two 2.25" 45* spun cats from Magnaflow, single 3" bullet resonator, dual 2.25" Bullet mufflers out to the tips. I cannot for the life of me find dual 2.25"in single 3" out SS merge collectors so I will be making them from scratch. Teasers

Oh yes, the exhaust will be using nothing but SS V-band clamps to keep it as low profile as possible

Tom
Old 01-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Tom:

Looks great. When do you think it will be on the road? Also, do I need to think about getting a cheap lapop, so I can change the fuel air map from "NJ Emissions Testing" to "Having Fun"?

Dan

Old 01-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Tom:

Looks great. When do you think it will be on the road? Also, do I need to think about getting a cheap lapop, so I can change the fuel air map from "NJ Emissions Testing" to "Having Fun"?

Dan

Dan, no real need to do that. I can setup a switch to change maps on the fly. I personally will not be tuning the car, I will be bringing it to Precision tuning in Toms River to have it Dyno tuned by their Hydra tuner. As of right now I do not feel I have the experience to get every ounce out of this engine like a pro would. I do need to know if you have the inspection information for this car, need to know if they are going to test for NOX

Tom
Old 01-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Maniac modifier

To answer your question... As long as the coaters come through with their promise of everything being done next week, there is a possibility I might be able to have it going next weekend if I log some serious hours. Still waiting on the converters and mufflers to get in but they should be here early this week. I have all the tubing I am going to need already. Just gotta get the headers back from coat and make the rest up. Engine is as ready as it is going to be w/o the water pipe, I did assemble the intake w/ the new injectors and pretty bits, pics to load later tonight when I get to a computer that can pull them up

Tom