IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2005, 08:41 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
April of '06 being the date when I'll start shopping for one.
I might be joining the zoom-zoom club around that time as well. But in a slightly different vehicle....

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 01-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
I might be joining the zoom-zoom club around that time as well. But in a slightly different vehicle....[/IMG]
The MX-5 Miatas are great little roadsters, but the one which my wife and I both like a bunch is the '04 MazdaSpeed MX-5 Miata. Brand new they run like 25K, but in '06 you could probably find a good used one for 17-18K.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 01-10-2005, 01:06 AM
No longer blue member

Quote:

The MX-5 Miatas are great little roadsters, but the one which my wife and I both like a bunch is the '04 MazdaSpeed MX-5 Miata. Brand new they run like 25K, but in '06 you could probably find a good used one for 17-18K.

-Chike
I do like the MazdaSpeed very much. At the same time however, I live in a relatively hilly area and do a lot of stop-and-go driving. When combined with my lazyness, a manual isn't really my cup of tea. I've only driven one for a day, but it's definately not for me. I understand how some people might enjoy it, but quite frankly I prefer an automatic, and unfortunately, there won't be any auto MazdaSpeeds. Now that doesn't mean I don't have plans for a possible turbo if I do indeed buy a normal MX-5

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 01-10-2005, 06:29 AM

2006 MazdaSpeed 6 Pricing

4-DOOR SEDAN SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE *

TRIM
SPORT 2.3L DISI TURBO ENGINE WITH 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION $27,995
GRAND TOURING 2.3L DISI TURBO ENGINE WITH 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION $29,925

EQUIPMENT PACKAGES

CODE PACKAGE AVAILABILITY
JCP Pearl Paint Charge All $ 200
MR1 Moonroof GRAND TOURING $700
NV1 Navigation All $2,000
WL1 Black/White Leather Trimmed Seats (1) GRAND TOURING N/C

OPTIONS

CODE OPTION AVAILABILITY
SSU Alarm Shock Sensor Upgrade All $ 60
FLA All-Weather Floor Mats All $60
FLD Aluminum Fuel-Filler Door (Bright Chrome) All $100
FDS Aluminum Fuel-Filler Door (Pearl Satin) All $100
CGN Cargo Net All $40
CGT Cargo Tray All $50
CTO Cargo Tray and Organizer All (Includes CGT) $150
CAS Cassette Player All $200
MRC Compass/AutoDim Mirror All $150
MRH Compass/AutoDim Mirror with Homelink All $250
MND Moonroof Wind Deflector All (Requires MR1) $40
CE2 CAL Emissions Equipment (CA, MA, ME, NY, VT) All $100
WLK Wheel Locks All $40

(1)Replaces Black Leather-trimmed Seats (Limited availability)
*Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, including Dealer Preparation and Check Up required by Manufacturer.
Vehicle M.S.R.P. does not include Destination Charge $560.00 (Alaska $680.00), State and Local Taxes or Fees or any other charges.

Old 01-10-2005, 06:32 AM

Quote:
I do like the MazdaSpeed very much. At the same time however, I live in a relatively hilly area and do a lot of stop-and-go driving. When combined with my lazyness, a manual isn't really my cup of tea. I've only driven one for a day, but it's definately not for me. I understand how some people might enjoy it, but quite frankly I prefer an automatic, and unfortunately, there won't be any auto MazdaSpeeds. Now that doesn't mean I don't have plans for a possible turbo if I do indeed buy a normal MX-5
Makes sense, but those Miata six speed transmissions are so silky smooth to shift...

There are some good turbo kits available for the Miata now, and with a properly installed and tuned kit, 12 sec passes in the 1/4 mile are the norm.

-Chike

Old 01-10-2005, 06:37 AM

Potential of the MZR 2.3L...

MAZDA6 Dragster First Import-Nameplate Pro Front-Wheel Drive Car to Run Seven-Second Quarter-Mile

MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development recently added a new chapter to its storied racing history as Ed Bergenholtz's PRO-FWD MAZDA6 dragster officially became the first import-nameplate front-wheel drive vehicle to tackle the quarter-mile in less than eight seconds. With a time of 7.934 seconds at nearly 184 miles per hour, MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development and Bergenholtz now are members of an elite group of high-octane, high-speed performers.

Bergenholtz's record-setting run occurred on Oct. 23 at the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) Sport Compact World Finals at Pomona Raceway in Pomona, Calif. The seven-second barrier has been the brass ring for many front-wheel drive competitors in years past, and prior to Bergenholtz's blistering run, the only teams to grasp it have been multi-million dollar factory programs from domestic nameplate manufacturers.

"MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development's commitment to competition shines through once again -- this time on the drag strip," said Steve Sanders, manager, MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development. "We share a common passion and dedication with Bergenholtz Racing, and we knew that reaching the seven-second mark was not a question of if, but when."

MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development and Bergenholtz have catapulted import drag racing to a new level with their historic feat, further establishing their performance pedigree in drag racing and earning the respect of competitors and race fans alike.

While domestic-backed competitors have spent millions of dollars and numerous years transforming existing engines into 1200-horsepower beasts, the MAZDASPEED engineers worked closely with Bergenholtz Racing to unleash the capabilities of Mazda's 2.3-liter inline four-cylinder powerplant in under two years and for millions less than the competition. This cautious, empirical attitude allowed for unique solutions to problems such as clutch-grab at launch and traction control, which gave Bergenholtz unique advantages over his competition that became evident during his record-setting run.

Bergenholtz Racing will continue developing its MAZDA6 dragster throughout the year. For race fans interested in seeing the menacing MAZDA6 devour the quarter-mile, Bergenholtz will be one of the many MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development drivers on hand for an NHRA children's charity event at Pomona Raceway on Nov. 10.

Old 01-10-2005, 10:50 AM
Unstoppable

Dammit Chike, I thought I had my heart set on an 07 Mustang GT as my first car I buy when I finish college, but now I'm not so sure. The more you post about the Mazdaspeed 6 the more I want it.......

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 01-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Certified Porschephile

<<<<<<still holding out for a Legacy STi..... !
Old 01-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
<<<<<<still holding out for a Legacy STi..... !
i'd like to see it, but without that intregrated audio/climate control B.S.

i'd consider a MS6, too, provided there's some decent performance upgrades available for it, and the Bose audio system can be replaced without hacking the entire car apart (which i doubt is the case.)

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-10-2005, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by upnygimp
Dammit Chike, I thought I had my heart set on an 07 Mustang GT as my first car I buy when I finish college, but now I'm not so sure. The more you post about the Mazdaspeed 6 the more I want it.......
Sorry man. I really like that car. My wife is all for it as she really likes the Mazda 6s as a family sedan - so the MazdaSpeed 6 would be even better...

Personally, I like the new Mustang GT's. I saw another one in town over the weekend and nearly screamed my head off pointing it out to my wife. It's a great muscle car with lots of tuning potential, but seeing that you live in the North East like myself, having a car you can drive year round would be important.

That's why I like the MazdaSpeed 6 and the Legacy 2.5GT. Now if they came out with a Legacy STI, that would be even better to cross-shop...

-Chike

P.S. I wouldn't need to sell my SVX to get a MazdaSpeed 6, but I may need to in '06. My wife and I are looking at some 3 bedroom town houses by a golf course in our area, and I don't think they give you space for 3 cars. Also, they'll have strict community rules about parking on the street...

Old 01-10-2005, 07:07 PM
No longer blue member

Quote:
...but seeing that you live in the North East like myself, having a car you can drive year round would be important.
That's the only thing stopping me from buying the Miata today. I have $10k to put down, but it's just not practical. By 06' my brother will be just about driving. This will allow me to to hand the SVX down to him, so that I can still use it in the winter without having to worry about storing it all year. What he does for a winter car is up to him.

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 01-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Unstoppable

Quote:

That's the only thing stopping me from buying the Miata today. I have $10k to put down, but it's just not practical. By 06' my brother will be just about driving. This will allow me to to hand the SVX down to him, so that I can still use it in the winter without having to worry about storing it all year. What he does for a winter car is up to him.
Buy a hardtop and a set of snow tires and you're set. I'm thinking about buying a S2000 and driving it year round, maybe as soon as spring.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin

Last edited by upnygimp; 01-10-2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Certified Porschephile

Chike, my friend, I just read in Automobile magazine that although the MS6 is not for the WRX or EVO set, they are hearing posibilities of a MS3 with the same motor that's in the MS6!

Here is my 2 cents for Subaru Product Development:

1. Boost the "standard" WRX to approximately 250hp

2. Make the WRX STi around 325hp

3. Hype the Forester 2.5XT more

4. Import the Forester STi we got teased with a few months back in Car & Driver or Motor Trend

5. Get the Legacy GT to 280hp

6. For the NA set, get rolling with the 3.0R

7. Get a 300hp or so Legacy STi in the works

8. The jury's out on the new SUV

9. For us, a 2 door Legacy GT with a slopped nose, named.... what else? SVX!

10. Keep prices under $30k for the most part. We can be the Japanese Audi, but don't price us like one; yet.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
Chike, my friend, I just read in Automobile magazine that although the MS6 is not for the WRX or EVO set, they are hearing posibilities of a MS3 with the same motor that's in the MS6!

Here is my 2 cents for Subaru Product Development:

1. Boost the "standard" WRX to approximately 250hp

2. Make the WRX STi around 325hp

3. Hype the Forester 2.5XT more

4. Import the Forester STi we got teased with a few months back in Car & Driver or Motor Trend

5. Get the Legacy GT to 280hp

6. For the NA set, get rolling with the 3.0R

7. Get a 300hp or so Legacy STi in the works

8. The jury's out on the new SUV

9. For us, a 2 door Legacy GT with a slopped nose, named.... what else? SVX!

10. Keep prices under $30k for the most part. We can be the Japanese Audi, but don't price us like one; yet.
Everything you've mentioned would be a great idea...except calling a 2 door Legacy an SVX!

Honestly, if they ever bring the SVX back, I'd want it to have a low roof line, look like sex on wheels, and have an NA motor putting out close to 300hp (with a 6MT option)!

-Chike

Old 01-11-2005, 12:03 AM
No longer blue member

Quote:
Originally posted by upnygimp

Buy a hardtop and a set of snow tires and you're set. I'm thinking about buying a S2000 and driving it year round, maybe as soon as spring.
I guess I'll have to look into that some more, however the last Miata I saw driving in the snow wasn't going anywhere too fast, the barrier it was using to keep it on the road seemed to be slowing it down some

01' MSM Lexus IS300